PDA

View Full Version : Can the "spirit" from Xanathar's "Healing Spirit" spell be exploited?

JT_Plunkett
2018-03-12, 07:51 PM
So, according the spell description for "Healing Spirit" in Xanathar:

"You call forth a nature spirit to soothe the wounded. The intangible spirit appears in a space that is a 5-foot cube you can see within range. The spirit looks like a transparent beast or fey (your choice)."

When I use the spell, I have it appear as a larger version of my Ranger's wolf companion, and originate from his location. (So it looks to the gullible like the wolf actually has healing powers, cause, why not?:smallsmile:) But I was wondering if I could use it's appearance as one might use a Minor Illusion spell?

Can the spirit make noises to cause distraction, or possibly intimidate an enemy? Since it appears in a spot I can see within range, I was thinking I could cast it off in the distance to lure enemies and such.

I know it would not be the greatest use of a lvl 2 spell slot, but it could have some pinch utility purposes that a Ranger would not normally have.

Wondering what everybody's thoughts are on being able to exploit the appearance of the spirit for alternative purposes?

Unoriginal
2018-03-12, 08:06 PM
Unless you can manage to spook people with a transparent beast or fey, then no.

The spirit only does what the spell says it does, aka stand around and heal.

As a DM I could give you an advantage if you're trying to intimidate people with a show of your magic powers (it IS a noticeable magic effect, after all), or maybe you can bluff people into believing the spells has a different effect (ex: "whoever approaches the wolf will be struck by lightning!"), or arguably other things of the same kind, but that's it.

mephnick
2018-03-12, 11:34 PM
You exploit Healing Spirit by casting it normally.

Ventruenox
2018-03-13, 11:36 AM
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/UglyThoroughGangesdolphin-max-1mb.gif