PDA

View Full Version : Spell list and preferred items for melee dragon sorcerer

Quoz
2018-03-13, 01:06 PM
I'm building a melee based sorcerer but haven't played a lot of casters and could use suggestions for a spell list. GM is also encouraging us to use the downtime activities in Xanthar's and we have enough high charisma characters to do well at purchasing magic items.

We're going with a somewhat pirate-themed party, and I expect a good portion of our encounters to be aquatic or ship based. My personal theme is a California Surfer Dude - no armor, high charisma, and an adrenaline junkie.

Half Elf (aquatic) Dragon Sorcerer (Brass/Fire) 4 / Hexblade 1

10/12/18/10/12/20 (rolled stats, includes boost from Elven Accuracy)
Feat: Elven accuracy
Background: Sailor
Skills: Persuasion, Deception, Athletics, Perception
Metamagic: Twin, Quicken
Magic Items: Sentinel Shield

Current spell list:

Cantrips: Greenflame Blade, Fire Bolt, Eldritch Blast, Shape Water, Mold Earth, Message, Minor Illusion

1st level: Hex, Shield, Earth Tremor, Burning Hands

2nd level: Enlarge/Reduce, Hold Person, Mirror Image

Basic concept (untested, our first session didn't have a lot of combat) is to set up groups of enemies for twinned Greenflame Blade (valid at my table) and get advantage (at this level, quickened earth tremor. Better spells may come later).
Next level I get access to twinned haste, which will probably be a go-to buff.

Progression I think will be next 2 levels sorcerer for the dragon sorcerer fire buff, then hexblade to 3 for pact blade, then Sorcerer for the rest.

Magic items I will be hunting for will be at first something to buff con up and a magic weapon - I think once I get hexblade 3 a flametounge greatsword would be good, I may just snag an adamantine weapon until then - it's great for attacking ship's from below.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Glaring errors?

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-13, 01:20 PM
If your party allows it, then it might be beneficial to take Shocking Grasp and realign it to fire damage (Burning Grasp?).

You are a bit tankier as Draco-Sorc, but you still need to keep on the move. Denying Opportunity Attacks and Reactions is a great way to not only be able to keep moving, but also support your allies alongside that. (If this is possible, I might even recommending to do this over Green-Flame Blade. Denying Reactions is incredible for many things, but being able to keep mobile while being a front-liner sorcerer is key)

If your DM lets you reskin Shocking grasp, then it might be beneficial to grab Druid for Primal Savagery, and reskin that to fire, if you’re looking for more damage (Draconic Savagery?). Besides that, the build looks fine. Just watch your health (In general good idea for Sorcerers), and keep an eye for an opening to do something creative or to buff an ally/cripple an enemy. All of it seems pretty solid.

strangebloke
2018-03-13, 03:10 PM
shocking grasp is good, as noted.

Shadow blade (XGtE) is absolutely fantastic for this kind of build, although it becomes less good if you have a really good weapon already. Remember, you can twin GFB for one SP, and get your weapon damage twice. (actually, your DM might not allow you to twin GFB)
Dragon's Breath (XGtE) combos with twin very nicely. (ignore JC on this one)

For uncommon items, I would look at a plain-'ol cloak of resistance. +1 to saves (concentration checks) and +1 to AC cover up your two most glaring weaknesses.

Your AC is pitiful, so any magic items that boost that are great.