PDA

View Full Version : Barbarian/Samurai Multiclass?

PhantomVector
2018-03-13, 01:07 PM
Is there a way to work this? I’ve been mulling it over, and I’d hate to lose either capstone but I’m kind of stuck on how cool it would be to combine rage, fighting spirit and action surge. I’m trying to figure out a more fighter centric build of this, but yeah I’m sort of stumped.

So far I’m thinking either half orc, or variant human. With a 16, 17, and 17 as my highest stat rolls.

So what kind of suggestions do you guys have?

strangebloke
2018-03-13, 01:28 PM
Generally all the martials multiclass with each other just fine, but you shouldn't really multiclass before 5th level.

In this case, you won't want the heavy armor that the Fighter gives you, so if I were you I'd start in Barbarian, ride it until fifth level, and then jump ship to fighter for the rest of the campaign. Level 6 (Fighter 1) will be a pretty lame level, but otherwise you'll be wrecking face the whole way.

I'd grab GWM as my bonus feat and give myself 18 CON, 18 STR, and 16 DEX. Or maybe I'd put the 16 in WIS or CHA, depending on the character. You've got very strong stats, so even if your build isn't the best, it's going to feel very strong. I'd also probably go Zealot just because that's the subclass that combines with Samurai the best in terms of fluff, and also because Zealots are awesome.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-13, 01:38 PM
Fighter/Barb is an awesome combo and most players never hit capstone anyway. Samurai will let you get some uses of Advantage without recklessly attacking which is great for GWM.

The biggest choice is how deep to go into each class, or in other words, which are you taking to level 5?

Specter
2018-03-13, 03:02 PM
One level of Barbarian is great for Samurai.

- Rage damage bonus on all attacks. No need to explain.
- Rage resistance to B/P/S damage. Taking half damage from hundreds of monsters? Yes please.
- Unarmored Defense is good if you want an armorless character.

I don't suggest two levels because Samurai already gibes you plenty of advantage.

smcmike
2018-03-13, 03:06 PM
Honesty I don’t see the point. Barbarian already has an easy source of advantage. Seems like other fighter subclasses work better with it.

Xihirli
2018-03-13, 03:18 PM
Champion might synthesize better. You have unlimited uses of Reckless Attack, and the Samurai ability is just more of the same. Wisdom saving throw proficiency might be useful, but by the time you get there it's not a dip anymore.
Champion/Barbarian is good because it gives you Brutal Critical on 19s, which gives you a 20% chance to crit whenever you Reckless Attack.

Vogie
2018-03-13, 04:33 PM
While I think that Reckless Attack + Rapid Strike is an absurd combo, it doesn't come online until the 17th level.

However, a barbarian with the ability to generate advantage, by themselves, without incurring that penalty from Reckless attack, is pretty awesome. The flavor of a Samurai who has gone a little wild, likely a Ronin, and can become a killing machine... that's glorious.

For background purposes, Ancestral Guardian or Desert Storm Herald mixed with Samurai (or Brute) Fighter gives the feel of the Abzan of Tarkir.

The Combo of Champion's Improved Critical with Brutal Critical is certainly worth mentioning if all you want is DPS, though

rbstr
2018-03-13, 04:34 PM
I think it works pretty well either fighter or barbarian heavy. Just don't double-up on Extra attack.

Makes for a fun bruiser-type.
I think I'd tend to go mostly fighter. You get the damage resistance at the very least which works really well on top of your THP.
A third attack is really great with Rage
You maybe get a fun Barbarian subclass feature.
In the mid/high levels you'll rarely have to worry about getting Rapid Strike off in a round if you take at least two barb levels.

BrusLi
2018-03-13, 05:46 PM
There is only one problem with samurai.
Best samurai stuff is post 11th level,multiclassing means delaying those great abilities by X amount. Like third attack,rapid strike and the undying ability and many ASI/Feats.

What i would suggest is fighter/samurai 19/hexblade 1 .Half elf,elven accuracy,GWM wombo combo with hexblade curse, destroys bosses, crits like mad, since Samurai out of all archetypes, receives most attacks per roundand you have feats for utility .
You delay only by one level and receive a lot by only 1 dip in to hexblade .

At least that's my opinion.

rbstr
2018-03-13, 07:07 PM
What i would suggest is fighter/samurai 19/hexblade 1 .Half elf,elven accuracy,GWM wombo combo

This does not work without 3 levels in Warlock to take up the Blade pact boon.

PhantomVector
2018-03-13, 08:50 PM
@strangebloke

Yeah I was thinking that or totem warrior.

@GlenSmash!

Probably going to be more fighter/samurai then barbarian.

@Specter

Yeah I'm kinda just popping in for the rage effects, I like the RP side of it too, combining rage and fighting spirit.

@smcmike

More of a thematic choice. A Samurai that enters a sort of "battle trance" instead of just rage. Primarily a Samurai rather then barbarian I think I need to change my OP and title.

@Xihirli

Well Samurai would be the primary class, not barbarian. So giving it up kinda kills the character idea :P

@Vogie

Sort of what I wanted to do RP wise. A Samurai who enters a battle trance aka rage, and when his back's against the wall wall he activates fighting spirit and shreks his enemy. I was thinking totem warrior if I dump that many levels, but I might dip 1, or 2.

@rbstr

Basically the plan, like I said I don't exactly know what I want to do but I was thinking only a small level dip, 1-2 maybe.

@BrusLi

That's an interesting idea, a samurai with a cursed blade? I like it.

@rbstr

Why doesn't it work?

smcmike
2018-03-13, 09:06 PM
You must think of fluff differently than I do. I don’t have any problem calling a Barbarian/Battlemaster a Samurai - Battlemaster is basically a perfect chassis for any “expert warrior” fluff you want to stick on it.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-13, 09:43 PM
@rbstr

Why doesn't it work?
Hexblades can't bond to a two-handed weapon without Pact of The Blade.

PhantomVector
2018-03-14, 07:00 AM
You must think of fluff differently than I do. I don’t have any problem calling a Barbarian/Battlemaster a Samurai - Battlemaster is basically a perfect chassis for any “expert warrior” fluff you want to stick on it.

It’s not that I don’t think a barbarian/battlemaster can be a samurai in terms of RP, but mechanically the two features I want to combine are the fighting spirit and rage, which require samurai and barbarian. :3

PhantomVector
2018-03-14, 07:08 AM
Hexblades can't bond to a two-handed weapon without Pact of The Blade.

Do you need to use your bonded weapon as a hex blade to get the advantages of hexblade curse? Cause it levels up pretty nicely. Proficiency bonus damage isn’t great but it’ll scale up, 19-20 crit range is good, and some temp health is always welcome.

That could be an interesting take, a hexblade who tries to not draw their bonded weapon?

smcmike
2018-03-14, 07:28 AM
It’s not that I don’t think a barbarian/battlemaster can be a samurai in terms of RP, but mechanically the two features I want to combine are the fighting spirit and rage, which require samurai and barbarian. :3

Ok, but those mechanics don’t go well together was my original point. Barbarians always have advantage if they want it!

Mister_Squinty
2018-03-14, 08:30 AM
What i would suggest is fighter/samurai 19/hexblade 1 .Half elf,elven accuracy,GWM wombo combo with hexblade curse, destroys bosses, crits like mad, since Samurai out of all archetypes, receives most attacks per roundand you have feats for utility .

You can't use Elven Accuracy with ST weapons. Doesn't stack with GWM.

strangebloke
2018-03-14, 08:54 AM
You can't use Elven Accuracy with ST weapons. Doesn't stack with GWM.

EA works on CHA-based weapons. Pact of the blade lets you use a heavy weapon based off of charisma. Hex 1 doesn't allow it, but Hex 3 would.

rbstr
2018-03-14, 09:05 AM
Ok, but those mechanics don’t go well together was my original point. Barbarians always have advantage if they want it!

At a cost, reckless attack makes it much easier to hit you as well. Samurai brings THP and free advantage. The THP in particular go great with barbarian. At higher fighter levels it Rapid Strike and reckless attack go together very well.

The set up would be to rage first round, reckless attack that round. Fighting Spirit in round 2 for THP and no need to reckless attack. It can also let you stretch your day some with 2 rages and 3+ FSs to pop.

Mister_Squinty
2018-03-14, 09:31 AM
EA works on CHA-based weapons. Pact of the blade lets you use a heavy weapon based off of charisma. Hex 1 doesn't allow it, but Hex 3 would.

That's what I get for posting before coffee... apologies.

strangebloke
2018-03-14, 12:09 PM
Do you need to use your bonded weapon as a hex blade to get the advantages of hexblade curse? Cause it levels up pretty nicely. Proficiency bonus damage isn’t great but it’ll scale up, 19-20 crit range is good, and some temp health is always welcome.

That could be an interesting take, a hexblade who tries to not draw their bonded weapon?
You need to use your bonded weapon to use hex warrior. The curse and 1spell/short rest is not worth a whole level of investment by themselves.

At a cost, reckless attack makes it much easier to hit you as well. Samurai brings THP and free advantage. The THP in particular go great with barbarian. At higher fighter levels it Rapid Strike and reckless attack go together very well.

The set up would be to rage first round, reckless attack that round. Fighting Spirit in round 2 for THP and no need to reckless attack. It can also let you stretch your day some with 2 rages and 3+ FSs to pop.

The thing to remember here too is that this character is dipping barbarian. As others have said, one level in barbarian is a a perfectly fine dip.

And Champion 3/Barbarian X is the conventional build, and it is great. But that's not to say that fighter works poorly with barbarian if you use other subclasses.