PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rare Books to Enter Candlekeep

Wheaton's Whelp
2018-03-13, 04:53 PM
Hello Everyone,

I'm running a game currently set in Faerun/Sword Coast, and the players have reason to seek out and enter the Candlekeep. I tried looking around for rare books which the players could seek out to gain entry, but couldn't find much.

I could use some help coming up with rare books the party can seek out, who might be in possession of these books, and how the players could come to get these books for themselves. I'd like to have multiple they could go after as they make their way from Nightstone towards Baldur's Gate/Candlekeep. The party just became 4th level, so I don't want to throw in some of the magical tomes mentioned in the DMG.

Example I've been considering:
Famed Halfling author Paedraic Rootfuss, after many years is releasing his new book in Waterdeep. Rival Half Orc author Grubash R. R. Mhurren doesn't want to be shown up, as his long awaited book remains unfinished, and requests the party to steal Paedric's original writing and destroy the copies ready to sell. Being the only copy remaining, the book's value skyrockets, and would be a piece not already in the Candlekeep.

I look forward to the book titles and backstories!! Thank you for the help!

Ninja_Prawn
2018-03-13, 05:45 PM
Have you checked out this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?483064-What-s-on-the-Shelf-1001-Essays-Treatises-and-Books-on-Magic)? Somehow it's stayed on the first page of the main forum for nearly two years; must be something good in there.

RazDelacroix
2018-03-13, 06:30 PM
I now have nightmares (and dreams!) of how large of a library my favored wizard character will need for his collection. Thanks Ninja Prawn!

Joe dirt
2018-03-13, 07:03 PM
The rarest book would be the one the groups bard just wrote about their latest adventure... so rare in fact it hasn't been published yet

Cespenar
2018-03-14, 03:01 AM
I think a nice lampshading would be to create some adventurer journals who are/were involved with the various published campaigns.

So you could find the diary of a paladin who got trapped in a place called Barovia. He couldn't return back, but his diary somehow did.

Or a madman's journals who escaped his drow slave-drivers but were plagued with demonic whispers which just wouldn't go away.