PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next UA: Ranger Revised Voyagers Conclave

kilekaldar
2018-03-13, 08:08 PM
My second attempt at making the Ranger a more flexible, useful, and fun class to play. This Archetype is meant to be used with the UA: RR.. Feedback is very welcome.

Ranger Voyagers Conclave
Many Rangers began as soldiers, scouts, and guides who traveled to distant lands. Many others were outlanders, wanderers, sailors, brigands, spies or assassins. All crossed scorching deserts, climbed erupting volcanoes, explored lethal jungles and survived frozen wastelands. Through harsh experience, they adapted to the dangers and discovered how to wield them as weapons. They studied predators and learned stealth, surprise and sudden overwhelming fury to gain the advantage over their enemies. Voyagers have beheld wonders and horrors beyond imagining in the far forgotten corners of the world and have dedicated their lives to see it all.

Natural Longstrider
At 3rd level, Voyagers have long practiced travelling as quickly as possible, and gain 10ft to their base move when not wearing medium or heavy armor.
(Comment: Archetype ability, reflects their theme crossing vast distances.)

Elemental Fangs
At 3rd level, you have been repeatedly exposed to the harshest of environmental dangers, from forest fires, lightning storms, frozen tundra and venomous bites and you have learned a supernatural ability to utilize these threats as weapons. Once per turn, you may add 1d8 of magical cold, fire, lightning, poison or acid damage to your weapon strikes.
(Comment: This aids the class damage creatures with resistances early on.)

Voyager Magic
At 3rd level, you gain access to additional Ranger spells at 3rd, 5th, 9th, 13th, and 15th level. Once you gain a Voyager spell, it counts as a ranger spell for you but doesn't count against the number of Ranger spells you know.
*Voyager Spells *
Ranger Level Spells
3rd Entangle (1st)
5th Spider Climb (2nd)
9th Haste (3rd)
13th Dimension Door (4th)
17th Passwall (5th)

(Comment: Archetype ability. Spells reflect focus on movement and the elements.)

Extra Attack
At 5th level, you can attack twice, instead of once, whenever you take the Attack action on your turn.

Defensive Escape
At 7th level, you can bend nature magic to help you move rapidly and escape danger. As a bonus action or reaction to melee attack, you can cast the Far Step spell with this feature, without expending a spell slot or triggering an attack of opportunity.
Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

(Comment: Archetype ability. Allows the Voyager to cross impassable distances and avoid danger as per the archetype theme.)

Ranger’s Fury
At 11th level, you have fought outnumbered in far too many battles against the evil hordes that plague the world and realized the value of overwhelming your enemy with multiple attacks.
Once per turn when you have hit a creature with a melee or ranged attack you can expend a Ranger spell slot to power extra attacks. While using making the additional attacks you must concentrate on this effect as if you were concentrating on a spell.
A level one slot will gain you one extra attack, plus one additional for every level higher to a maximum of five.

(Comment: Archetype ability. Very powerful but highly risky, this ability change is meant to address the common complaint that the Ranger's damage does not progress well compared to other classes. Fury would be highly effective against creature with high saves but mid to low AC. Fury combined with Extra Attack at 5th level could do 7 attacks for two rounds at 19-20th level. This makes the Ranger comparable to the Paladin, who can Smite for up to 5d8 per hit or the Rogue who has Sneak Attack 10d6 at level 20. The main drawback compared to Smite or Sneak Attack is that each extra Fury attack has the possibility of missing.
Some Ranger spells may have higher damage potential then Fury, such as the guaranteed extra damage from Hunter’s Mark(1st-level,1d6, 1hr), or against grouped enemies with AoE spells such as Hall of Thorns(1st-level, 1d10 per Lvl, 5ft radius), Spike Growth(2nd level, 2d4 per 5ft travel, 20ft radius, 10min), Lightning Arrow(3rd level, 4d8, 2d8 in 10ft radius, 1min), Conjure Barrage(3rd-level, 3d8, 60ft cone), Conjure Volley(5th-level, 8d8, 40ft radius), Steel Wind Strike(5th-level, 6d10, five creatures in 30ft).

Primal Instinct
At 15th level, you can sense when you are about to be harmed; you can attempt to turn a successful hit against you into a miss by using your reaction and adding your Wisdom modifier to your AC against that attack.
(Comment: Archetype ability. A defensive trait modeled on Defensive Duelist.)

Blackbando
2018-03-13, 10:49 PM
Let's see if I can give some nice feedback, here.

Natural Longstrider
While the wording isn't the greatest (take a gander at barb's Fast Movement or monk's Unarmored Movement for better ways to do it), the feature's fine.

Elemental Fangs
Magical elemental damage isn't a thing. Only magical weapon damage is. Also, pretty decent feature, but I'd make it once per turn, honestly.

Voyager Magic
You put Raider spells, not Ranger. Aside from that, spells are mostly fine. Armor of Agathys is always a fun one to use, but I don't know if I'd say it really fits.

Far Step
First off: a reaction to what? Reactions need something to trigger them. Maybe someone moving within 5 feet of you? Anyways, balance-wise: I'm on the precipice of "this is too much" and "this is just fine". On one hand, it's a 5th level spell at 7th level on a half-caster, for free (though, admittedly, 1/rest). On the other hand, it's just teleportation. Also on the other hand, it's a ranger, which is full of concentration.

I'll just leave it as "questionable" for balance. By the way, I'd recommend changing the feature's name from being the same as the spell it's casting, to make it a little more clear.

Ranger's Fury
I feel like this is too much for 11th level. Rangers typically get an offensive feature at 11th, so I don't feel right about saying it should be 15th, but the potential to attack 6 (!!!!) times in one turn for only a 3rd level slot on a ranger (hunter's mark) is a pretty big deal.

Primal Instinct
Once per round wording is irrelevant, here; you only get one reaction per round. Also, it needs to be more clear; how long does the AC bonus last? Just against the attack? For the whole round? It's a pretty fine 15th feature, though.

Overall, this has some nice potential, though Ranger's Fury really worries me.

kilekaldar
2018-03-14, 07:30 PM
Let's see if I can give some nice feedback, here.

Natural Longstrider
While the wording isn't the greatest (take a gander at barb's Fast Movement or monk's Unarmored Movement for better ways to do it), the feature's fine.

Elemental Fangs
Magical elemental damage isn't a thing. Only magical weapon damage is. Also, pretty decent feature, but I'd make it once per turn, honestly.

Voyager Magic
You put Raider spells, not Ranger. Aside from that, spells are mostly fine. Armor of Agathys is always a fun one to use, but I don't know if I'd say it really fits.

Far Step
First off: a reaction to what? Reactions need something to trigger them. Maybe someone moving within 5 feet of you? Anyways, balance-wise: I'm on the precipice of "this is too much" and "this is just fine". On one hand, it's a 5th level spell at 7th level on a half-caster, for free (though, admittedly, 1/rest). On the other hand, it's just teleportation. Also on the other hand, it's a ranger, which is full of concentration.

I'll just leave it as "questionable" for balance. By the way, I'd recommend changing the feature's name from being the same as the spell it's casting, to make it a little more clear.

Ranger's Fury
I feel like this is too much for 11th level. Rangers typically get an offensive feature at 11th, so I don't feel right about saying it should be 15th, but the potential to attack 6 (!!!!) times in one turn for only a 3rd level slot on a ranger (hunter's mark) is a pretty big deal.

Primal Instinct
Once per round wording is irrelevant, here; you only get one reaction per round. Also, it needs to be more clear; how long does the AC bonus last? Just against the attack? For the whole round? It's a pretty fine 15th feature, though.

Overall, this has some nice potential, though Ranger's Fury really worries me.

Thank you very much for the feedback, Ive implemented most of the changes you recommended.

As for Fury being too OP, I have to disagree a bit. It allows the Ranger to be comparable to the Paladin, who can Smite for up to 5d8 per hit or the Rogue who has Sneak Attack 10d6 at level 20. The main drawback compared to Smite or Sneak Attack is that each extra Fury attack has the possibility of missing.
Some Ranger spells may have higher damage potential then Fury, such as the guaranteed extra damage from Hunter’s Mark(1st-level,1d6, 1hr), or against grouped enemies with AoE spells such as Hall of Thorns(1st-level, 1d10 per Lvl, 5ft radius), Spike Growth(2nd level, 2d4 per 5ft travel, 20ft radius, 10min), Lightning Arrow(3rd level, 4d8, 2d8 in 10ft radius, 1min), Conjure Barrage(3rd-level, 3d8, 60ft cone), Conjure Volley(5th-level, 8d8, 40ft radius), Steel Wind Strike(5th-level, 6d10, five creatures in 30ft).

Blackbando
2018-03-14, 08:07 PM
Voyager Magic

Entangle, niiiiiiiice! That fits much better.

Defensive Escape

Much better.

Ranger’s Fury

I've actually began to agree with you, here. Seems fine, honestly.

Primal Instinct

Excellent, now it's more clear.

Secret Wizard
2018-03-15, 11:40 AM
Conjure Volley = 8d8 damage each target, average 36

Raider's Fury on a 5th level spell with a greatsword, Hunter's Mark and Elemental Fangs = each attack deals 2d6 GS + 1d6 HM + + 1d8 EF + 5 STR. Average per attack, 20 damage. Assuming 50% hit chance, that's 70 damage on a turn. Fun facts: you have higher than 50% hit chance.

clash
2018-03-15, 01:22 PM

Raider's Fury on a 5th level spell with a greatsword, Hunter's Mark and Elemental Fangs = each attack deals 2d6 GS + 1d6 HM + + 1d8 EF + 5 STR. Average per attack, 20 damage. Assuming 50% hit chance, that's 70 damage on a turn. Fun facts: you have higher than 50% hit chance.

Elemental Fangs was listed as once per turn and we want to go to a longbow to make a comparable range making it 1d8 LB + 1d6 HM + 5 STR ~ 13 per attack *7*.5 + 1d8 ef ~ 50 on 50% hit rate. Aoe spells generally do only about 66% of the damage as single target so 50*.66 = 33 dmg. So not too far off if you assume every target of Conjure Volley fails there save, which is fairly ridiculous to assume. If you assume Conjure volley has about 50% failure rate and creature take half damage on a save then that 36 becomes 36*.75 = 27, making the 33 a bit high but actually still comparable considering it takes the additional resource of concentration on hunters mark and the spell slot.

Ya I wasn't sure how I felt about it, but it actually performs alright.

kilekaldar
2018-03-16, 06:18 AM

Using Fury breaks any concentration, so Hunters Mark doesn't apply.

Blackbando
2018-03-16, 09:28 AM
Until now, I actually thought "break concentration" was just part of the flavor text. You should word it a little better, like, "You break your concentration on any spells you were concentrating on", or something.

clash
2018-03-16, 10:14 AM
Ya I completely missed that as well. AFB but I think something along the lines of standard text would be

"While using making the additional attacks you must concentrate on this effect as if you were concentrating on a spell"

kilekaldar
2018-03-16, 06:04 PM
Ok I'll make sure to reword it so it's clear. Thanks for the feedback!