PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Temple of the Hammer of Moradin.

vinnydarkheart
2018-03-13, 11:31 PM
greetings all, i'm looking to get advice on two things while sharing what I'm working on at the same time. which is in fact a temple concept that I'm putting in one of my homebrew worlds. what the temple concept actually is will be explained below. For now, though, I need some help in making the Elders of the temple.(once again, will be explained in better detail below) as well as choosing domains for clerics from the temple. criticism is welcome, as is praise, but with praise, please let me know what you like most about it so i know better what works.

Last two things before the block of temple text, this is more for story than for affecting the game itself, ( i.e. not going to give bonuses other than those already been given by guild artisan background and cleric class) and two, i'm apologizing for the formatting, as this is still the rough draft where i just got all my ideas out there.

The Temple to the Hammer of Moradin ( or the Church of the Hammer) is more akin to a crafters guild with a godly patron, rather than a church itself. Starting from the top down, is Moradin, the god of Dwarves, Crafter of Worlds, the Soul Forger himself. Beneath him are his chosen, the few that He has bid welcome into his kingdom whenever they please, only four are known to have ever held these titles, and they are demigods themselves, going by the titles Moradin has given them: Haft, Head, Spike and Peen they rarely speak their true names anymore. Beneath them, Is the Council of Elders, a total of 15 beings man the Council, known as the Best in their Craft for each piece of work. A person who is selected for the council stays on the council for as long as they live, As such, short lived races are seldom chosen for these positions except when the selection process is to take more than around two or three years. ( this is especially common for the brewmasters guild, as high quality Dwarven Ales and Elven Wines often take a century or more to mature properly, as such, there’s always a selection queue for the short lived members, with each candidate not only meeting the experience requirement, but also must have at least reached around 75 percent of their maximum lifespan before being placed in the running.)
The influence of Moradin in the church is less direct than some other gods, choosing instead to let his followers choose their own paths, delivering unto them raw power to shape into what they need. Typically, this means that the domain is related to what field of crafting they have chosen as their life path. [ see table below] In other cases, the personality of the member takes over, shaping the power into another domain. For example, in the first instance, we have Gunloda Silveraxe, a silver haired female cleric, who fancies herself a skilled chef, she has shaped her power into that from the life domain as her recipes and dishes have mended wounds and healed the sick. And in the second instance, we have Lundy Boken, whos brews have helped others and been used to perform dwarven funeral rites, though his power is the tempest domain because his storm-like demeanor runs rampant through his stubborn bones, shaping the power into that of a mighty thunderhead as opposed to the solemn nature of the grave domain or the caring guidance of the life domain.
any and all races are welcome in the temple, provided the person who wishes to join agrees to nonhostility to other members, as such there are a handful of kobolds and more than a few yuan ti members, not to mention a plethora of the more 'civilized' races ( gnomes, halflings, humans, etc.) not just dwarves.
Moving through the ranks as a crafter in the temple is less about politics than in most other temples as ones skill is brought to bear to representatives of Moradin, or in the case of the elders, Moradin himself. In the beginning, to become a member of the church, one merely needs to be approved by a majority of the crafters in his field. To become a divine agent, a cleric if you will, the member must submit a product to the guildmasters ( the regional heads of craft to the temple, some would call them high priests) and if they so approve, Moradin is beseeched, and the soul forger bestows his divine power for the member to shape and mold into their works and spread the wealth of knowledge of the crafter of worlds to the people.
To become a high priest or guildmaster, a new product is submitted to the council of elders that has shared the experiences of the creator throughout his time as a cleric, by performing the rite of enstarment whilst speaking of the events that had happened since the last time the rite was performed.( for alchemists and cooks, it is each time the recipe or formula is prepared, or alterations are made) When the cleric has accrued enough experience to become a guildmaster, it is submitted to the council of elders, who review or sample the product and deem it worthy of Moradin’s praise or not. Upon acceptance, it is delivered as an offering to the Soul Forger, who partakes or tests the product himself, and prepares the new power to be delivered when it is ready.
From there, the member must continue to gain valuable experience both in their craft and as a cleric until the council has recognized them as a valuable member, where they become placed in the running for the elder of their craft.

below is a list of suggested domains for each craft, roll table for ease of random character generation

craft d10
1-3
4-6
7-9

painters
light
knowledge
forge*
any

alchemists
tempest
trickery
forge*
any

potter
life
nature
forge*
any

woodcarver
nature
life
forge*
any

weaver
knowledge
light
forge*
any

cook
nature
life
forge*
any

tinker
tempest
trickery
forge
any

mason
nature
grave
forge*
any

smith
war
light
forge
any

jeweler
knowledge
light
forge
any

brewer
life
grave
forge*
any

carpenter
nature
war
forge*
any

glassblower
light
trickery
forge*
any

leatherworker
nature
light
forge*
any

cartographer
knowledge
nature
forge*
any

calligrapher
grave
knowledge
forge*
any

*due to Moradin's influence, dwarves have a higher tendency to be forge domain. if non-dwarf, the forge domain result may be treated as though 'any' had been rolled