PDA

View Full Version : The Heavy Metal Thread! :rawk:

Scissors
2007-08-29, 11:04 PM
I've seen a lot of people around the playground who are into power metal (RoF, DF, Manowar, BG, etc), so I know for sure there are some metalheads out there. Show your faces here, list of your favorite genres and bands, and prepare for recommendations and discussinating. (<- new word)

As for me, I'm a big fan of proggy stuff like Opeth, Porcupine Tree, and Dream Theater, and I can get into some lighter power metal like SymX and Dragonforce in an amused way (and of course the almighty Iron Maiden), but in general my tastes run towards the more extreme- Skinless, Behemoth, Nile, Meshuggah, Enslaved, and Swallow the Sun, to name a couple favorites. Enslaved aside, however, I dislike black metal.

I also recently started getting into some more Doom (funeral doom like Evoken and Ahab is too slow for me, but I like the genre in general) such as the classically influenced Virgin Black, and I also just discovered a really crazy, cool band called UneXpect that play... kinda... everything. Like SGM only better.

You?

heretic
2007-08-29, 11:11 PM
I always wondered what it would feel like to fly.

I think I'll hang on to this thread as it takes to the skys...aaaaaaaaaaand sets back down in Media Discussions.

Ahem.

I like Korn, Disturbed and Rammstein to name a few.

Scissors
2007-08-29, 11:21 PM
I always wondered what it would feel like to fly.

I think I'll hang on to this thread as it takes to the skys...aaaaaaaaaaand sets back down in Media Discussions.

:smallwink: My bad thar. Perhaps we will soon be airborne.

Gaelbert
2007-08-30, 12:42 AM
I listen to DragonForce a lot... and Iron Maiden. Some Lamb of God is good.
@V: I like System of a Down, but I don't really consider it heavy metal.

TSGames
2007-08-30, 01:19 AM
I like Children of Bodom, Black Sabbath, and Sysem of a Down... But yeah, Dragon Force and Iron Maiden also have some good stuff.

Castaras
2007-08-30, 04:13 AM
Blind Guardian are good.

Listened to a little Black Sabbath...some of their songs are good...

Although I'm mostly a Prog Rock person.

Dihan
2007-08-30, 04:19 AM
I like Nightwish, Within Temptation, Sonata Arctica, Avenged Sevenfold, Children of Bodom, Breaking Benjamin, LostProphets (earlier stuff).

EDIT: Forgot some: Rhapsody of Fire, Stratovarius and Lacuna Coil too.

Neragith
2007-08-30, 04:44 AM
I've seen a lot of people around the playground who are into power metal (RoF, DF, Manowar, BG, etc)

wait a sec there buddy Manowar are not power metal they are quite indeed Heavy Metal.
Other than that listen to Judas, MegaDeth and a few others.

banjo1985
2007-08-30, 04:46 AM
Proper heavy metal?

Well in that case, for me I like Disturbed, Monsterworks, Devil Driver & Psylence.

Lucky
2007-08-30, 04:48 AM
I love metal. I easily listen to it more than I listen to anything else, but that doesn't really say much, as I only listen to two genres. :smalltongue:

Metallica is the band that got me into metal, rather unoriginal I know, but they deserve their dues. For awhile I listened fairly exclusively to thrash and speed metal, but within the last two years I've really expanded my horizons.

Easily my favourite sub-genre is power metal, and it probably makes up about half of my metal collection.

That is all for now.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-08-30, 05:30 AM
Ah. Metal. My most recurring musical love.

My first metal band was Carcass when I was a wee nipper of the age 11, a song o' the name of Heartwork (lovely song, truly lovely)

Since then, I've expanded out, and my three favourite genres are black, folk/viking, and doom.

Sean92k
2007-08-30, 05:36 AM
Metallica, disturbed, breaking benjamin (Are they metal :smallconfused: I'm sure they are rock?) and Slayer ... Oh and Enya, best thrash metal ever :smallbiggrin: That Enya comment was a joke, people, Ok?

banjo1985
2007-08-30, 05:40 AM
Oh and I forgot about 36 Crazyfists too, best band ever to come out of Alaska! :smallbiggrin:

Lucky
2007-08-30, 05:41 AM
breaking benjamin (Are they metal :smallconfused: I'm sure they are rock?) I think we can get away with "Alternative metal," that way I get to call Drowning Pool metal, so I'm allowed to listen to it. :smalltongue:

Neragith
2007-08-30, 05:42 AM
yeah Metallica was the first of thrash. Disturbed im sure is Nu-Metal (new)
No idea about breaking benjamin.

ForzaFiori
2007-08-30, 05:46 AM
Metallica, a little Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Dragon Force, Disturbed, some Slayer, A7X, a small amount of megadeath.

no offense to metal heads (cause you know i dont wanna piss y'all off, that would suck), but metal is one of my least favorite rock genres, so I dont listen to alot of any band

Sean92k
2007-08-30, 06:04 AM
No idea about breaking benjamin.
I think we can get away with "Alternative metal,"Wiki says 'Nu Rock' and I always thought them to be rock and I dont find them to be very metally either ... but I know next to nothing about it

Lucky
2007-08-30, 06:06 AM
Wiki says 'Nu Rock' and I always thought them to be rock and I dont find them to be very metally either ... but I know next to nothing about it
Not sure which wikipedia you're looking at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Benjamin

That says Alternative Metal. What do you know, I was right. :smalltongue:

B-Man
2007-08-30, 06:10 AM
Like Lucky, Metallica was my introduction to metal (but the album was St Anger... which is just pathetic... :smallannoyed: ). I started off with just thrash and speed metal, but now I'm into a lot more heavier stuff.

Just a few bands that are on my list: Metallica, Megadeth, Dissection, Mastodon, Dream Theater, Ministry, Trivium, Skyfire, Norther, Rhapsody of Fire, Iced Earth, Blind Guardian, etc, etc.

Lucky
2007-08-30, 06:11 AM
(but the album was St Anger...).
This is why I don't talk to you anymore. Stop mentioning that album.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-08-30, 06:12 AM
I'm currently rocking the Vintersorg.

I loves it.

Sean92k
2007-08-30, 06:17 AM
Not sure which wikipedia you're looking at...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breaking_Benjamin

That says Alternative Metal. What do you know, I was right. :smalltongue:Wiki lied to me >.< Last time I checked it was rock but whatever :smallsmile: *Adds BB into Metal playlist* Sweet:smallamused:

B-Man
2007-08-30, 06:17 AM
This is why I don't talk to you anymore. Stop mentioning that album.

I'm so sorry Lucky! I'm sorry that was my introduction to metal. It's a hell of a lot better than that rap crap I was listening to in '03.

Now, if I could convert all the young 'uns in my family to metal...

Lucky
2007-08-30, 06:18 AM
I'm so sorry Lucky! I'm sorry that was my introduction to metal. It's a hell of a lot better than that rap crap I was listening to in '03.
Ok, I'll give you that. Not that you're exactly helping your case... :smalltongue:

Neragith
2007-08-30, 06:19 AM
Now, if I could convert all the young 'uns in my family to metal...
Then the world would be a better place to live. :smallbiggrin:

Dhavaer
2007-08-30, 06:23 AM
I don't actually get the genre classifications of music, but I like Metallica, Megadeth, Manowar, Blind Guardian, Iron Maiden and Nightwish. I also like Awaking the Centuries by Haggard and Die MF Die by Dope.

B-Man
2007-08-30, 06:23 AM
Ok, I'll give you that. Not that you're exactly helping your case... :smalltongue:

I know, I know. :smallsmile:

And could someone tell me why I like Ministry's Rio Grande Blood album so much? I have to listen to it at least 3 times a day currently!

I'm da Rogue!
2007-08-30, 06:31 AM
Although I'm into progressive rock from the '70s, there some metal bands that changed my life:

bands I listened to as a teenager and I still like now:

Black Sabbath (both Ozzy and Dio)
Judas Priest
Metallica -till Black Album (dah!)
Motorhead
Savatage
Dio
Iron Maiden
RATM
SOAD

bands I discovered recently:

Psychotic Waltz
Moonspel
Mastodon
Tool
Isis
Nevermore
Death
Raw In Sect
Porcupine Tree

Lucky
2007-08-30, 06:50 AM
I know, I know. :smallsmile:

And could someone tell me why I like Ministry's Rio Grande Blood album so much? I have to listen to it at least 3 times a day currently!Because that's how music works? For the past couple days I've listened to Drowning Pool almost exclusively, with "Love and War" being played about 20 times a day.

But it's ok, they're metal. :smallwink:

JabberwockySupafly
2007-08-30, 06:56 AM
I listen to a lot of metal. While I'm not all-consumed by it, it's my primary source of music along with Indy Hip-Hop & Ska(yes, I know, strange combinations). Bands I listen to are:

Clutch (more hard/blues rock than metal, but their older stuff is definitely metal)
Faith No More (extremely hard to classify them. They are pretty much every genre at once, and a lot of what they do could be considered metal. Last Cup of Sorrow & The Gentle Art of Making Enemies are two good examples).
God Forbid
Lamb of God
Black Sabbath
Iron Maiden
Virgin Steele
Gamma Ray
Blind Guardian
Man-O-War
Mastodon
Celtic Frost
Venom
Falconer
Iced Earth
Killing Joke (they were more punk than metal in the old days, now more metal than punk, go figure).
Lacuna Coil
Nightwish
Primus (again, very hard to classify them, so I consider them metal).
Soundgarden
Rage Against The Machine (this could be considered my "dirty secret" of my music collection. I don't usually like "new" or what is considered "rap" metal, but, well, Tom Morello).

These are not all of them. There are others, but well, darned if I'm going to drag out my CD Collection and try to find them all.
I really can't choose a single genre of metal as my favourite. I just like Metal. End of story.

Oh, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but in my opinion, Dragonforce are not that good.They're just fast. Fast does not = Good. Want Fast & Brilliant? Check out Yngwie Malmsteen. .Every Dragonforce song sounds almost identical. They have one good song, Valley of the Damned. But, again, just my opinion.Want real Fantasy Power Metal? Blind Guardian. Check out Nightfall in Middle Earth or Tales From The Twilight World for a bit o' proof.

Cheers
JS

LCR
2007-08-30, 07:17 AM
I like Wolfmother. iTunes tells me, it is Metal. I don't wear long hair and black coats, though.

Neragith
2007-08-30, 07:22 AM
who ever said you did? ohh and not all metal fans do either.

dehro
2007-08-30, 08:23 AM
I can't help but feeling that some of the musicians (and some of the listeners) dig metal just because of the cool names...as in "I play DEATH metal" or "I listen to DOOM music"... other people watch horror films without jumping in their chair at the first sight of a chainsaw...

lol..
no offence ment, folks... but sometimes when I see punks who compare tattoos and the weight of their assorted metallic pendants, rings, beltbuckles, wristbands a.s.o... to see who's coolest or more "metal" than the other...I just have a hard time keeping a straight face..

then again, there are quite a few masterpieces of hard rock and metal music I like

banjo1985
2007-08-30, 08:27 AM
I can't help but feeling that some of the musicians (and some of the listeners) dig metal just because of the cool names...as in "I play DEATH metal" or "I listen to DOOM music"... other people watch horror films without jumping in their chair at the first sight of a chainsaw...

Well this definitely isn't true for me. While my main music is rock, punk and metal, it's not because of the names or that it's cool or anything...simply put, I'll buy and listen to any music I like the sound of, whether it's metal, pop or polka.

Just to back this up, a section of my music taste is shown thusly:

Devil Driver
Reel Big Fish
Daft Punk
New Found Glory
Static X
The Kooks

There really is no rhyme or reason to it, it's just what I like!

(Please don't kill me! :smallwink: )

dehro
2007-08-30, 08:31 AM
yay daft punk!

Hoggy
2007-08-30, 08:40 AM
First off, I have seen Porcupine Tree mentions on this thread. ATTENTION PORCUPINE TREE FANS: You win.

These are just a few of my favourite things~:
Metallica
Emperor
Opeth
Agalloch
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Enslaved
Paradise Lost

I tend towards the more proggy side of metal myself. And to add to the Dragonforce debate, I agree with Jabberwockysuperfly, right up until he expresses a like for Malmsteen :smalltongue:

@Threadstarter: You name cool bands sir, Skinless/Nile/Meshuggah/Enslaved especially. I know you said you don't like black metal much, but check out a song called 'An Elegy Of Icaros' by Emperor, if you've not heard it before. Is very much the proggy side of BM, methinks.

Ethdred
2007-08-30, 08:43 AM

Yeah, I can't be dealing with all these different sub-genres of metal (what the Halford is Power Metal?). Then again, metal has always been a pretty undefinable genre of music - as far as I'm concerned the rot set in in the 80s when people did start defining these sub-genres, like thrash and death and glam metal. If you listen to the back catalogue of Sabbath (even just Ozzy-era) or Zepplin or even Maiden and try to define the similarities between those bands, you realise how varied the music is. I've always thought metal is at its best when it is diverse and even progressive, and at its worst when people have some pre-conceived notion of what it should sound like. Especially if they think it's just about being hard and fast (and wearing black)

Scissors
2007-08-30, 11:39 AM
First off, I have seen Porcupine Tree mentions on this thread. ATTENTION PORCUPINE TREE FANS: You win.

These are just a few of my favourite things~:
Metallica
Emperor
Opeth
Agalloch
Porcupine Tree
Dream Theater
Enslaved
Paradise Lost

I tend towards the more proggy side of metal myself. And to add to the Dragonforce debate, I agree with Jabberwockysuperfly, right up until he expresses a like for Malmsteen :smalltongue:

@Threadstarter: You name cool bands sir, Skinless/Nile/Meshuggah/Enslaved especially. I know you said you don't like black metal much, but check out a song called 'An Elegy Of Icaros' by Emperor, if you've not heard it before. Is very much the proggy side of BM, methinks.

I have to admit that Emperor and Enslaved are both excellent bands, despite my general dislike for the genre.

Congrats on having the best taste of anyone so far :smallbiggrin:

Scissors
2007-08-30, 11:46 AM
Yeah, I can't be dealing with all these different sub-genres of metal (what the Halford is Power Metal?). Then again, metal has always been a pretty undefinable genre of music - as far as I'm concerned the rot set in in the 80s when people did start defining these sub-genres, like thrash and death and glam metal. If you listen to the back catalogue of Sabbath (even just Ozzy-era) or Zepplin or even Maiden and try to define the similarities between those bands, you realise how varied the music is. I've always thought metal is at its best when it is diverse and even progressive, and at its worst when people have some pre-conceived notion of what it should sound like. Especially if they think it's just about being hard and fast (and wearing black)

The "genres" of metal are actually pretty broad and comprehensive, although obviously there are a lot of bands that fall into more than one. A common hyperbolic form of praise is that "this band just can't be categorized!"

To give a general idea (obviously very cursory):

-Death metal is typically very heavy and often very fast, and is recognizable by the "cookie monster" vocals.
-Black metal is often "raw" sounding, fast, simplistic, aggressive, and includes "shrieking" or rasping vocals. (but then there's symphonic black metal, and... well, anyway)
-Doom metal is slow and heavy (think Black Sabbath) and may or may not include death metal vocal stylings.
-Power metal is the cheese. Usually high-pitched vocals and upbeat music.
-Prog is the fancy technical stuff. Often applied to another genre (ie. "that's a prog/death metal band")
-Thrash... think Slayer.
-Nu-Metal is the watered down whiney radio crap (no offense, nu-metal fans)

Just a rough outline thar

Amotis
2007-08-30, 11:46 AM
I like Dysrhythmia.

You should too.

Scissors
2007-08-30, 01:22 PM
Ah. Metal. My most recurring musical love.

My first metal band was Carcass when I was a wee nipper of the age 11, a song o' the name of Heartwork (lovely song, truly lovely)

Since then, I've expanded out, and my three favourite genres are black, folk/viking, and doom.

Also classy ^

SurlySeraph
2007-08-30, 01:33 PM
Nu-Metal is the watered down whiney radio crap (no offense, nu-metal fans)
No offense taken. I like a lot of whiny music. :smalltongue:

Metallica, Disturbed, Black Sabbath, some Slayer, some Slipknot. There are a couple songs by Avenged Sevenfold I like, but I don't listen to much death metal.

And, though they're incredibly emo and whiny and sometimes rap and don't even really count as metal... Linkin Park. *cringes in anticipation of the beating he will receive from the purists*

Semidi
2007-08-30, 01:56 PM
I like metal, not as much as I used to (most of it is cookie cutter and boring). I also really, really hate when people get into hissy fits about sub-genres of metal to quote Lemmy from Motorhead -

"It's all just rock & roll."

And I wouldn't disagree with Lemmy, he's scary. I have other quotes by him on the subject, but he's kinda vulgar for this forum.

I like:

Black Sabbath
Celtic Frost
Dream Theater
Godsmack
Guns N Roses
Iron Maiden
Megadeth
SOME Metallica
Motley Crue
Motorhead
Pantera
SOME Slayer (Raining Blood Album and so on, you know, the good stuff)
Rage Against the Machine
Tool
Van Halen
And Velvet Revolver

What I don't like:

Proggy speed metal Example: Dragonforce. Boring, boring, boring. Cookie Monster vocals, boring, boring boring.
Most metal made after the year 1990, aside from bands listed above.
Bands with operatic female singers: Nightwish, Lecuna Coil, Tristania and so on. They give me a headache.

Now if I want whiny music, I go with my prodigious Cure collection.

Scissors
2007-08-30, 11:50 PM
SOME Slayer (Raining Blood Album and so on, you know, the good stuff)

Slayer is one of the few bands where older really IS better.

heretic
2007-08-31, 12:51 AM
If there's one band I can't stand, it's Tool.

If there's two bands I can't stand, it's Tool and A Perfect Circle.

And I like Nu Metal and Linkin Park.

*prepares anti-crucifixion gauntlets*
Did I just piss off everybody one way or another...definately...

Hoggy
2007-08-31, 06:00 AM
I like all three of those bands, and nope I won't crucify you.

I have much, much worse in store.

DraPrime
2007-08-31, 01:35 PM
I think that the band that got me into metal was Blind Guardian. Here are my favorite bands.

Iron Maiden
Blind Guardian (duh)
Iced Earth
Therion
Persuader
Dream Theater
Demons and Wizards
Metallica
Helloween

Scissors
2007-09-01, 01:34 PM
I like Wolfmother. iTunes tells me, it is Metal. I don't wear long hair and black coats, though.

Sorta zep-nostalgia, bluesy hard rock, more like

Dragor
2007-09-01, 03:47 PM
I only really got into rock in general with Led Zeppelin in...say, around 2000? I slowly converted to Metal through Nightwish and then steadily into Blind Guardian and Dragonforce.

Why all the Dragonforce bashing? Their songs are generally the same but I couldn't care less really. Some lyrics get me more than others, like in Prepare for War, where ZP just cries "PREPARE FOR WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRR!" and then descends into a beautiful solo. Always gets me bangin'.

I've now got into Metallica, and Master of the Puppets Live is just perfect for the D&D Campaign I'm running with the BBEG being- guess what?- a Master of Puppets.

Just got into Trivium, don't know whether thats a good thing or a bad thing. I do like their older stuff, and I'm not into many other screaming bands either.

Attilargh
2007-09-01, 04:00 PM
Ohh, I loves my heavy metal. As long as I can make hear lyrics, I'm happy, so my taste is pretty broad.

Blind Guardian (Seen 'em live, rawk!)
Demons & Wizards (Hansi!)
Nightwish (Gonna see 'em live, rawk!)
Motφrhead (Haven't seen 'em live, yet.)
Velcra (Quite a bit different metal, with nice female vocals. Also, Finnish.)
Onmyo-Za (Occasionally weird Japanese mainly power-ish metal with very nice female vocals.)
Running Wild (Pirate metal. Arr!)

Hannes
2007-09-01, 04:03 PM
Blind Guardian, Manowar, Dragonforce(A bit), Cradle of Filth, Behemoth, Dimmu Borgir, Iced Earth, Dream Theater, Pyramaze... Umm... THE LIST DOESN'T END THERE D; I just can't recall.
EDIT: Within Temptation, Lamb of God, Vader, Slayer.

Lord of the Helms
2007-09-01, 04:43 PM
1. See sig. I'm pimping this band whenever I can, as they are relatively new, relatively little-known, and absolutely amazing musicians and nice people. Listen if you have any doubts.

2. See Avatar. Greatest album in the history of ever.

3. On a lighter note:
http://shop.relapse.com/dbimages/artists/TCME_Featured_PIC2.jpg
The County Medical Examiners (http://www.myspace.com/countymedicalexaminers) for the win.

*bunch of good bands*
Virgin Steele
*bunch of other good bands*

You're the first to mention Virgin Steele, thus you win the thread. My very favorite band. I love The Marriage of Heaven and Hell and The House of Atreus especially, the two best pairs of albums out there, save for my avatar. Ancient greek drama metal for the win, big time.

Oh, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but in my opinion, Dragonforce are not that good.They're just fast. Fast does not = Good. Want Fast & Brilliant? Check out Yngwie Malmsteen.
JS

Can't say I'm a big Dragonforce fan, but they're at least pretty decent live. I can't stand Malmsteen for the most part, though. It's like he thinks any song is incomplete if it doesn't contain at least a five-minute-long super-technical super-fast solo with no melody, no coherence and utterly no point at all. Second most boring live act I ever witnessed, and that's only because I've been unfortunate enough to see Slayer.

That said, Marching Out is a good album, and at least his neoclassical style of guitarplaying has influenced a lot of other, better musicians.

Black Sabbath (both Ozzy and Dio)

Yeah, Dio era Sabbath is brilliant. I have to say I'm very partial to Black Sabbath's albums with Tony Martin, too. Very different from most of their other stuff, but such beautifully haunting music, and such a great singer, too :smallsmile:

Psychotic Waltz
Moonspel(l)
Death

Mmmmh, more goodness. If you like Death's later works, you should definitely also check out Atheist (http://www.myspace.com/kellysatheistwebsite) and Cynic (http://www.myspace.com/httpwwwcynicalspherecom). Similar direction, though a good bit jazzier, especially Cynic.

I'm really enjoying Psychotic Waltz' album "Bleeding" for a while now. Would you recommend all of their other works?

7. I'm lazy, so see what other bands I like if you are thusly inclined:
http://www.last.fm/user/Lord%20Helmchen/

Dihan
2007-09-01, 04:58 PM
*snip*
Nightwish (Gonna see 'em live, rawk!)
*snip*

Envyenvyenvy :smallamused:

Amiria
2007-09-01, 05:27 PM
I like Heavy Metal ... in most variants.

Amorphis
Blind Guardian (mainly pre-ANatO, early stuff is best)
Black Sabbath
Bolt Thrower
Cradle of Filth (yay for extreme blasphemic screaming growling metal)
Iron Maiden (only with Bruce)
Manowar (brought me into metal, but their alst album was meh)
Metallica (only the '80s and parts of the Black Album)
Ministry
Moonspell (early stuff)
My Dying Bride (seen 'em live, yay)
Opeth (seen 'em live, yay)
Paradise Lost (early stuff)
Rhapsody (I used to like them, but they are now far too kitschy)
Sabbath
Theatre of Tragedy (early stuff)
Therion
Tiamat
Tristania
Type O Negative

Matthew
2007-09-01, 05:40 PM
I tend to classify all this stuff as (Heavy) Rock, as I can't be bothered to differentiate:

Metallica (Heretic that I am, I even like their recent stuff)
Burnt by the Sun
Converge
Corrosion of Conformity
Crowbar
December
Deftones
The Haunted
Isis
Lamb of God
Medulla Nocte
Neurosis
Nile
Opeth
Poison the Well
Type O Negative
Vision of Disorder

I also like:

A Perfect Circle
Rage Against the Machine
System of a Down
Therapy?

...and a bunch of other stuff I generally refer to as 'Heavy Rock'.

geez3r
2007-09-01, 06:09 PM
Here's a few of my personal favorites, many of which have already been mentioned.

Slipknot, System Of A Down, Rage Against the Machine, Dope, Soil, Type O Negative, White Zombie, Rammstein, Lamb of God, Children of Bodom, Pantera, Marilyn Manson, Disturbed, Strapping Young Lad, Susperia, Scum of the Earth.... running out of names here...

I like Rob Zombie, Metallica, and Static X, but their earlier work is much better than their current albums IMO.

AC/DC not a heavy metal band by today's standards, but they're just too awesome to ignore.

SLAYER!

Xuincherguixe
2007-09-01, 10:23 PM
Most of the Heavy Metal Genre seems to be highly derivative and uninspired. That being said though I still like a lot of it.

I swear though that it'd be so much better if they just fired whoever they get to scream the words unintelligibly.

That said I really like Rob Zombie (yeah I know, White Zombie was better). You usually have a rough idea what he's saying at least, even though that doesn't necessarily mean it will make any sense. And it's hard to tell what does and doesn't mean something. And even though most of his songs are about old horror movies he's still one of the most original artists around.

I also like some Marlyn Manson for much of the same reason. Dude is seriously unnerving, but I mean that is the point. It's not all just about infuriating people (as much fun as I'm sure that is ^_^)

Scissors
2007-09-02, 12:56 AM
Most of the Heavy Metal Genre seems to be highly derivative and uninspired.

Unlike, you know, rock, or rap, or R&B, or... oh, wait. Most of every genre is ****.

I swear though that it'd be so much better if they just fired whoever they get to scream the words unintelligibly.

There are good (Mike Akerfeldt's, for example) and bad death vox just like there are in all styles of singing. I assume that's true of black metal vocals as well, but to be honest I'm not familiar enough with the genre to tell : /
Takes some getting used to, I'll admit.

Penguinizer
2007-09-02, 01:32 AM
Hmm, I mainly listen to: Hammerfall, Blind Guardian, Mors Principium Est, Dragonforce, and Cadacross when I get the cd.

Narmoth
2007-09-02, 03:34 AM
Oh, and I'm not trying to be a jerk, but in my opinion, Dragonforce are not that good.They're just fast. Fast does not = Good. Want Fast & Brilliant? Check out Yngwie Malmsteen. .Every Dragonforce song sounds almost identical. They have one good song, Valley of the Damned. But, again, just my opinion.Want real Fantasy Power Metal? Blind Guardian. Check out Nightfall in Middle Earth or Tales From The Twilight World for a bit o' proof.

When it copmes to fast "fantasy" -bands, I would suggest Elvenking. Really fast, but much better melodies and better use of instruments than bands like Dragonforce

Icewalker
2007-09-02, 04:00 AM
I've never really determined what category the music I listen to falls into, but I know most of it ranges from heavier rock to heavy metal.

Sum 41, Three Days Grace, a bit of Disturbed...some lighter rock (AC/DC, Aerosmith)

Scissors
2007-09-02, 09:33 PM
When it copmes to fast "fantasy" -bands, I would suggest Elvenking. Really fast, but much better melodies and better use of instruments than bands like Dragonforce

Lykaethea Aflame are badass despite singing about elves and stuff

bal3000
2007-09-02, 10:10 PM
The good things about METAL.

1-nobody wants to borrow your CDs.
2-while 90% of METAL is EL CRAPOLA nobody else is EVER going to know because of point 1 above....so it's our little secret.
3-the remaining 10% of METAL music IS WHAT MATTERS!
4-it's a tool for weeding out musical bad taste. IE- ask someone "Do you like Pantera's WALK or Soundgarden's JESUS CHRIST POSE or Ministry's NWO" and the answer is "NO"....well then you know not to dicuss music with them. ( I am the Jack Chick of musical tollerance.
5- THE BANDS- Morbid Angel - Deicide - Nile - Decapitated - Machine head - Type O Negative - Metallica - Slayer - Deftones - Suicidal Tendencies - Rollins Band

Penguinizer
2007-09-02, 11:32 PM
Heh, I haven't even heard of those songs :(

Another nice band I've heard is Axenstar, among some other bands in the "New Powermetal Bands" collections on youtube.

Also, Amon Amarth is also kinda nice. Viking Metal, it has some Power Metal elements though.

Narmoth
2007-09-03, 01:45 AM
Lykaethea Aflame are badass despite singing about elves and stuff

Well, they are not a speed metal band like Elvenking or Dragonforce.
And even Burzum has songs inspired by Tolkien, so that they sing about elves don't make them so very outstanding.

But they are cool.
Link to their myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/lykatheaflame)

Heh, I haven't even heard of those songs :(

Another nice band I've heard is Axenstar, among some other bands in the "New Powermetal Bands" collections on youtube.

Also, Amon Amarth is also kinda nice. Viking Metal, it has some Power Metal elements though.

Axenstar (http://www.myspace.com/axenstarmetal)
Not bad. He sings good. But it's very "traditional " speed metal, with very few elements I haven't heard before.
And the keyboard is very well hidden. I would prefere more keyboard parts like in early Sonata Arctica

Jack Squat
2007-09-03, 09:15 AM
I was recently shown Lordi, whom I do like, even if they're costumes are a little over the top.

I'd list more bands, but I'm really not too sure what's Metal and what's Classic/Hard Rock

EntilZha
2007-09-03, 10:04 AM
My favorite genres of metal and bands are:

Power/Epic Metal (Virgin Steele, Manowar, Amon Amarth, Rebellion, Domine, Hammerfall, Steel Attack, Summoning)

Speed/Thrash Metal (Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica, Seven Witches, Gamma Ray, Scar Symmetry, Metal Church, Pantera)

Prog Metal (Dream Theater, Nevermore, Symphony X, Queensryche)

Black Metal (Cradle of Filth, Opeth, Dimmu Borgir, Siebenburgen, Cannibal Corpse)

Symphonic/Folk Metal (Nightwish, Midnattsol, Edenbridge, After Forever, Elis, Folkearth, Leaves Eyes)

Gothic Metal (Kittie, Rammstein, Lacuna Coil, Angtoria)

Narmoth
2007-09-03, 11:45 AM
Hm... I have been readin this for a while, and I see that nobody uses the same classification of metal-subgenres. Anyone want's to try to explain things like:
- power metal (peculiar fact: Pantera was classified as this)
- progressive thrash
- death metal
- black metal
- viking metal
- speed metal
- classic heavy metal

Personally I will try ot explain the difference between progressive metal and progressive tharsh:
According to whoever wrote the booklet of Sieges Evens (http://www.myspace.com/siegesevenofficial) latest booklet, they were classified as progressive thrash because the term progressive metal wasn't made up yet. So, it's an older term meaning roughly the same, but maybee being a bit stricter than progressive metal. It's also more in opposition to progressive rock than being metal fuced with progressive rock, as progressive metal sometimes is described.
I imagine that bands like Queensryche would be classified as progressive emtal, but not as progressive thrash, while Dream Theater would have been called rpogressive thrash until the newer term was made up.

Spiryt
2007-09-03, 06:42 PM
Well, I'm listening almost only Metal and I must say that really don't like all those genres thing. Yeah, Metallica is a trash and is impossible to mistake with Hammerfall ( if you are not my Mom, of course:smallwink: ), but nobody should take those labels too serious. Maybe I'm oversensitive, but after reading some dumb discussions : " You ****, Cradle of Filth is ##### not $$$$$" on polish forums...

Anyway here's my proverbial two copper pieces (in no really order) :

Metallica
Iron Maiden
Korn (although it was long ago since I last listened to them)
Manowar
Hammerfall
Dark tranquillity
Moonspell
Children of Bodom
Blind Guardian
Saxon
Kat

Lord of the Helms
2007-09-03, 07:54 PM
Hm... I have been readin this for a while, and I see that nobody uses the same classification of metal-subgenres. Anyone want's to try to explain things like:
- progressive thrash
- death metal
- black metal
- viking metal
- speed metal
- classic heavy metal

Music can say more than a thousand words, so I'll try and keep this simple:

Power metal:
Helloween - I Want Out (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mIxv56fSuY&mode=related&search=)

Progressive thrash:
Mekong Delta
(http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=125229131)Atheist
(http://www.myspace.com/atheist1)(kinda borderline between thrash and death, but it does kinda fit)

Death metal:
Obituary - Chopped in Half (http://youtube.com/watch?v=BH_AMsNtWw8)

Black metal:
Darkthrone (http://www.myspace.com/officialdarkthrone)

Viking metal:
Well, the wider definition is "metal with lyrics about vikings", which can range from Amon Amarth (http://myspace.com/amonamarth) to Tyr (http://www.myspace.com/tyr1) (YARLY :smallconfused: ). Dumb as a genre as all they share in common are the instruments and the lyrics.
Tighter definition: Stuff that sounds like this (http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=11613)

Speed metal:
Helloween - Ride the Sky (http://youtube.com/watch?v=CjWxsScxA1k)

Traditional/ "classic" heavy metal:
Iron Maiden - Where Eagles Dare (http://youtube.com/watch?v=dcjWbwZ1pzw)

And while we're on it, thrash metal:
Overkill - Elimination (http://www.myspace.com/overkill)

[QUOTE=Narmoth;3139079]
Personally I will try ot explain the difference between progressive metal and progressive tharsh:
According to whoever wrote the booklet of Sieges Evens (http://www.myspace.com/siegesevenofficial) latest booklet, they were classified as progressive thrash because the term progressive metal wasn't made up yet. So, it's an older term meaning roughly the same, but maybee being a bit stricter than progressive metal. It's also more in opposition to progressive rock than being metal fuced with progressive rock, as progressive metal sometimes is described.
I imagine that bands like Queensryche would be classified as progressive emtal, but not as progressive thrash, while Dream Theater would have been called rpogressive thrash until the newer term was made up.[/URL]

A few beefs I have with this:
1. Queensryche showed up and made progressive metal before Dream Theater
2. Progressive thrash is just as the name indicates: thrash metal (simply speaking, it's a heavier speed metal) that is progressive (linear rather than repetitive song structures, lots of tempo and time changes etc).

Semidi
2007-09-03, 08:04 PM
Just to show how silly heavy metal genres have become.

The Many Genres Of Metal!
• death metal
• thrash metal
• black metal
• gore metal
• grind metal
• punk metal
• power metal
• symphonic metal
• speed metal
• classic metal
• nu-metal
• industrial metal
• blackened death metal
• retro-thrash metal
• christian metal
• amish metal
• satanic metal
• melodic metal
• stoner metal
• sludge metal
• progressive metal
• doom metal
• psychedelic metal
• 80's metal
• alternative metal
• New Wave of British Heavy Metal metal
• New Wave of Swedish Death Metal metal
• darkwave metal
• techno metal
• ambient metal
• Aluminum metal
• Glam metal
• Space metal
• porno metal
• goth metal
• math metal
• advanced algebra/trigonometry metal
• southern metal
• northern metal
• egyptian metal
• emo metal
• role-playing metal
• barnyard metal
• tribal metal
• noise metal
• car-wash metal
• route 666 metal
• route 667 metal
• route 777 metal
• phone metal
• demonic sacrificial metal
• disco metal
• trailer park metal
• murder metal
• destructo metal
• glacier metal
• fruit of the loom metal
• cereal metal
• platypus metal
• indian metal
• gymnastic metal
• stalactite metal
• stalagmite metal
• swedish chef metal
• medical metal (with an optional dental plan)
• clown metal
• surfer metal
• cobra la la la metal
• lobster metal
• vitamin enriched metal
• lactose intolerant metal
• laundromat metal
• japanese metal
• fava beans metal
• country metal
• honky-tonk metal
• gerbil metal
• ZOD metal
• buddhist metal
• quaker metal
• rechargeable metal
• gospel metal
• hopscotch metal
• candyland metal
• hungry hungry hippos metal
• crystal pepsi metal
• bluegrass metal
• viking metal
• E=mc² metal
• funeral doom metal
• slippery when wet metal
• sugar-free metal
• pork, the other white metal

Raistlin1040
2007-09-03, 08:38 PM
Let's see.

Black Sabbath (The 1st Metal Band!)
Metallica (Pwnage)
Blind Guardian (Soulforge)
Three Day's Grace (Who says Canadians don't rock?)
Iron Maiden (My personal favorite metal band)
DragonForce (Power Metal. Awesome)
Megadeth (Who doesn't love Megadeth? I mean really.)

alchahest
2007-09-03, 09:09 PM
Maiden (of course)
Twilightning (Fantastic Aussie Power Metal)
Ayreon (if you don't know, PLEASE FIND OUT NOW)
Devin Townsend Band/Strapping Young Lad/Devin Townsend
In Flames (and no I didn't stop liking them when they started writing better music)
Children of Bodom (love bodom)
Dragonforce (speed is fun, I don't care if you think they aren't talented)
Dream Theatre (the most self congratulatory pool of overly qualified musicians ever. I love it)
The Gathering (during the Anneke years)
Blind Guardian /Demons and Wizards/Iced Earth (duh, I play D&D)
Borknagar (because there's a little viking in everyone)
After Tomorrow ( <3 Floor)
Into Eternity (love the death/power combo)
Dream Evil (The Band, not the Dio Album...)
Dio (the guy with the Album named Dream Evil)
Avantasia (more power metal. so much fun)
Soil (I can't explain this one. just like it is all)
Isis (folkish doom sorta something. I don't kknow. I like it!)
Electro Quarterstaff (Instrumental metal, much like...)
The ****ing Champs (yeah!)

uuuh and more. maybe I'll post the rest when I'm off work!

Penguinizer
2007-09-03, 11:44 PM
- progressive thrash
- death metal
- black metal
- viking metal
- speed metal
- classic heavy metal

I'll try to do this in a text form.

-Power Metal
Somewhat similar to speed metal, but lyrics are almost always fantasy based.
Dungeons, battle, dragons, magic. That kind of stuff.

-Progressive Thrash
I got no idea for this one. Revert to the other explanation.

-Death Metal
Darker lyrics. Bears some relation to Speed Metal in terms of instrument sound.

-Black Metal
A sub-genre of Death Metal

-Viking metal
A cross between power and melodic death metal. With Viking lyrics.

-Speed metal
Similar to heavy metal, but faster.

-Classic Heavy Metal
No idea, I suppose it would be heavy metal from older bands.

Hoggy
2007-09-04, 06:19 AM
And to prove Narmoth right, I'm going to disagree with a number of the above. Namely death/black metal. Mainly the fact that black metal isn't an ofshoot of death metal, IMO. Sound completely different. Plus, if you want to beleive Venom were the 'original' BM band (I personally don't), then Black Metal started a bit before Death metal. I think.

Anyways, I think I have proved Narmoth right somewhat. :smalltongue:

Narmoth
2007-09-04, 09:55 AM
A few beefs I have with this:
1. Queensryche showed up and made progressive metal before Dream Theater
2. Progressive thrash is just as the name indicates: thrash metal (simply speaking, it's a heavier speed metal) that is progressive (linear rather than repetitive song structures, lots of tempo and time changes etc).

Hehe, another thread destroyed.
First of all. I know when Queensryche was founded. And at that time they were not classified as progressive metal or progressive thrash. Those labels were made later. I just used them as an example to try to show how the label "progressive metal" was broader than "progressive thrash".
And Sieges Even was labeled as progressive thrash. And they never sounded as thrash metal.

And I hate to contradict those who support me, but:
Black Metal was actually derived from Death Metal, with bands like Mayhem and Arcturus starting as Death Metal bands and then turning into Black Metal as that genre evolved. (Arcturus then became soemthing they themselves called "avant garde metal")

When it comes to "viking metal", Bathory started to play black metal songs with norse themes in 1988, and continued with such consepts in the 90s. Enslaved (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enslaved_%28band%29)was most likely the first band to play only songs with that theme, but they later turned away from norse mythology, and now call themselves "extreme metal".
So things aren't that easy.

And Blind Guardian call themselves and are in all official press about them called "Speed Metal", not "Power Metal".
Pantera, the thrash metal band, called on the other hand themselves for "Power Metal".
So, saying that powermetal is about fantasy is an owersimplification :smallbiggrin:

Narmoth
2007-09-04, 10:04 AM

Hehe. You forgot avant garde metal (Arcturus) Symphonic Holywood Metal (Rhapsody), National Socialistic Black Metal (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSBM) (Graveland), Aryan Metal (Thor's Hammer, maybe Burzum fits here, Defecator)

Penguinizer
2007-09-04, 10:09 AM
I would dis-agree with BG being speed. The lyrics are pretty much straight Power. Still, I suppose it is something in-between then.

Hoggy
2007-09-04, 10:16 AM
[QUOTE=Narmoth;3142890]And I hate to contradict those who support me, but:
Black Metal was actually derived from Death Metal, with bands like Mayhem and Arcturus starting as Death Metal bands and then turning into Black Metal as that genre evolved. (Arcturus then became soemthing they themselves called "avant garde metal")QUOTE]

Ah, the wonders of differing opinion. :smallbiggrin: I personally class Bathory as probably the first major BM band; they formed 1983. And I'd probably say Death were one of the first major DM bands. I find it hard that one genre spawned another with so many major stylistic differences all in one year. :smalltongue:

You could get into the 'Venom were first BM band' and 'Slayer were first DM band', but I personally disagree with both those statements.

All that is IMO. Which shows that genres are defined by personal opinion so trying to give a set definition is impossible. Ish. :smalltongue:

Narmoth
2007-09-04, 12:50 PM
I've done some research, Hoggy, and it seems that you are right.
Both Death and Black spawned from Thrash, not the one from the other.
The birth of Death Metal is by wikipedia estimated to be around 1983 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal), with the forming of Death and Morbid Angel.
The birth of Black Metal, if tied to the foundation of Bathory, is also in 1983 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal)

Lyrical and musical inspiration for these genres can be found in bands as Mercifull Fate, Venom and Black Sabbath, who are not themselves black or death metal.

And Penguinizer, it's Blind Guardian themselves who classify themselves as speed metal.
And I think it's because there wasn't anything called "Power Metal" when they started in 1984

Hannes
2007-09-04, 12:55 PM

No, you just showed how diverse metal has become compared to rap/hip-hop/trance.

Semidi
2007-09-04, 01:20 PM
No, you just showed how diverse metal has become compared to rap/hip-hop/trance.

Every metal band is composed of the following:

Guitar 1-3
bass
Vocalist
drummer
(sometimes) keyboardist

The differences are superficial. The only differences are the lyrics, vocal quality, speed played, and guitar/bass distortion/quality. Sounding like the cookie monster, in my opinion, doesn't change your genre from heavy metal to black metal. Changing the subject of your lyrics to Nordic conquest from the devil doesn't change your genre in my opinion. Playing faster doesn't change your genre. It just makes things difficult to understand and classify, which is excellent for a group of elitists (Not, y’all, but you know the type) arguing over the internet but a little stupid when you actually look at the sheet music and realize that just about everyone is playing 5 chords and running up and down scales with their solos.

Classifying by these superficial characteristics is like saying that if I were to start a band and play quickly, using a cookie monster growl, and sing about waste paper baskets I would be classified as

Waste Paper Basket Speed Black Metal

No, I'm not doing anything differently than a group of bands did in the 70s and 80s, I don't deserve a special genre. It’s just heavy metal… about waste paper baskets.

Aizle
2007-09-04, 01:31 PM
Classifying music these days is nigh-impossible.

That said, I'm an old metalhead and really beginning to dig the posters and topics on this forum. :smallbiggrin:

Some old faves:

Rush - more hard rock by today's standards but great stuff
Motorhead - Proof that you don't need to be good musicians to be a great band
Iron Maiden - Die with your Boots On! nuff said
Metallica - The band that made Metal popular
Megadeth - Great riffs
Anthrax - Old School Thrash
Ministry - Mix Metallica and Skinny Puppy and you get this
Black Sabbath - Really really Old School
Dio - Great voice
Rainbow - Richie Blackmore
Van Halen - Metal you can get laid with. Well back in the 80's, with enough beer...
Disturbed - Syncopation r' Us
White/Rob Zombie - One part Tattoo's, 2 parts Horror flick, 2 parts kickin riffs
Korn - This is what happens when the freaky nerd guys get a hold of a band
Rammstein - /cartman wtf is wrong with german people?
Pantera - If I had to live in Texas anymore I'd be this pissed off too.
Queensryche - Classically trained opera singer as your front man means no one can sing along in the car...
Queen - Kinda not metal, but so amazingly rockin it just doesn't matter
Sepultura - How can you get that angsty living in the land of beaches and sun?
Judas Priest - One of the best metal vocalists ever. Note the period.
Ozzy - Odd sounding voice that somehow works. Still alive out of pure luck, and STILL can out-rock just about anyone on the planet live.

There are more, but my brain is fuzzy and I have work I should be doing... :smallconfused:

Hoggy
2007-09-04, 05:45 PM
I've done some research, Hoggy, and it seems that you are right.
Both Death and Black spawned from Thrash, not the one from the other.
The birth of Death Metal is by wikipedia estimated to be around 1983 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_metal), with the forming of Death and Morbid Angel.
The birth of Black Metal, if tied to the foundation of Bathory, is also in 1983 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_metal)

Lyrical and musical inspiration for these genres can be found in bands as Mercifull Fate, Venom and Black Sabbath, who are not themselves black or death metal.

I'd class Mercyful Fate and Venom certainly as inspiration to BM. Sabbath, well, they're influential to about every metal act on the planet. :smalltongue: However, I think in regards to DM, Slayer's Reign In Blood was probably the equivalent of what Venom's Black Metal was to the BM genre: Slayer weren't Death Metal, but they were certainly influential upon it.

I knew the band names/albums myself, but had to check wikipedia for the exact dates myself. :smalltongue:

Guitar 1-3
bass
Vocalist
drummer
(sometimes) keyboardist

Slipknot?
Sikth?
Winnebago Deal? (another awesome band)
Many many more?

Okay, so you're right for many metal bands, but many is not every.

Ministry

Win. Epic f***ing win.

Lord of the Helms
2007-09-04, 05:57 PM

Guitar 1-3
bass
Vocalist
drummer
(sometimes) keyboardist

http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=63
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1650
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=773
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=486
http://www.metal-archives.com/band.php?id=1447

Never mind that really really superficial level, someone who says that these (http://www.myspace.com/hibriametal)and these (http://www.myspace.com/manillaroadofficial) are the same thing because they use the same instruments should really reconsider if he should be talking about music at all.

LCR
2007-09-04, 06:12 PM
I like Dysrhythmia.

You should too.

That a band or a disease?

Scissors
2007-09-04, 11:49 PM
Cookie monster vocals are a DM thing, not a BM thing, for the record.

And Semidi, you're being quite silly. Most of those instruments that you named are present in the typical rock band, as well... does that mean that Darkthrone and Bon Jovi play the same style of music? Everything from the message to the production to the songwriting to the vocals is completely different.

Penguinizer
2007-09-06, 11:31 PM
Yeah, Cookie monster lyrics are generally stuff for in the Deathmetal area-ish.
I really like Power Metal lyrics though. Very epic sometimes.