PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Wheels, the Bronze Age and the Mace of Moradin.

BBQ Pork
2018-03-14, 12:23 PM
So I'm reading the PHB on Clerics and see that they get either a prayer book or a prayer wheel. Unfamiliar with the term, I Google it.
Okay. It looks like a lint roller. Or, why not a mini mace? Might be thematicly appropriate for a Dwarf, much like a workman might have a small ball-peen hammer on his belt. Or like you or I always carry a multitool or a pocketknife.

Now, as a matter of course, there are a few things in my campaign.
-Dwarves led the way from the Stone Age to the Bronze Age, with Humans being the first to reverse-engineer metal working. They were also the first to leave the Bronze for Iron, then Steel, but may still do a lot of decorative bronze work simply because it is a pretty metal.
-While bronze is a soft metal, a magical weapon is immune to normal wear and tear. But not deliberate abuse.
-With artifacts being ancient, there is a good chance that they be Bronze Age, where appropriate.

With this in mind, I looked at the Axe of the Dwarvish Lords, but intend on, at a late point in the campaign, introducing the (bronze) Mace of Moradin instead. The idea is for a weapon based on a Mace of Disruption, but at or slightly below the power level of the AotDL.
The PCs will find the head of the Mace on the charred corpse of a hero (Evil foe tried to destroy it but couldn't touch it directly, ended up piling wood on it, burning a (magically-enhanced?)bonfire and causing a cave-in atop of it)
Their first task after finding and identifying it, will be to craft an appropriate and significantly 'special' handle for it. Forge a steel handle with reverent craftsmanship ? Ask the druid to pull a shaft directly from the heart of a revered oak?

Just a few thoughts.

So, folks. Ideas or opinions?

TheYell
2018-03-14, 12:43 PM
Usually they're not blunt instruments. You inscribe a prayer around the wheel and spin it on the handle, thus saying the prayer over and over.

But you're inventing a dwarf culture that uses them, so why not a mace?

Make one with a pawl and ratchet that advances one notch every time you hit with it, and gives some divine benefit when it makes one circumlocution of twelve thwacks. Like, healing a HP of the wielder.

You could have it inscribed with a litany of twelve verses to be chanted while you fight with it

Blessed be Moradin
THWACK*click*
Moradin the Victorious
THWACK*click*
Eternal be his memory
THWACK*click*
Immortal be his name
THWACK*click*
etc.

Unoriginal
2018-03-14, 01:15 PM
Bronze isn't that soft a metal, you know.

Well-forged bronze is way more sturdy than iron, especially early iron work.

The main reason why people abandoned bronze for weapons and armors was that because its components were too rare and expensive compared to the cheap, more-easily accessible iron.