PDA

View Full Version : AL Legal Arcane Hierophant and Fochlucan Lyrst builds I made

Snowbluff
2018-03-14, 04:33 PM
Hi guys, I love arcane hierophant, so I thought I would share them to people who would be interested. These are based on the 3.5e versions of the classes.

ARCANE Hierophant
Book: SCAG
Race: Half Elf (Possible Wood elf Variant for Mask of the Wilds), +1 int, +1 Wis
Starter: Wizard(Bladesinger)2/Druid(Moon)2
Skills of Note: Arcana, Nature

What do you do? You cast spells, use Int to buff up your AC and Concentration, and use wildshape to mix it up in a fight.
Summon an animal or familiar to be your companion

Final build:
I was thinking 7 Wizard for Extra attack (which is good in some forms) and 4th level spells. This means you get 13 levels of Druid for 7th level spells and some better forms. Use ASI to max our Wis and Int

Of course, taking blade singer to 14 to get int to damage and a reaction to reduce damage taken.

FOCHLUCAN Lyrist
Court advisers described masters of swordplay, diplomacy, and magic.
Book: XGtE but really would work with anything)
Race: Half Elf (+1 dex,
Starter: Rogue3(Swashbuckler)/Bard3(Swords)/Druid2(Shepards)
Skills of Note: Persuasion, Insight, History, Sleight of Hand

What you do: Support your team! I picked Sword's bard and Swashbuckler buckler because they make you better at sword fighting. Shepards druid was picked because the 3e PrC didn't progress wildshape, and it does make you better at supporting your team with totem spirits. XTtG gives a lot of options here that would fit thematically, really, to the point I had choice paralysis. Consider Whispers Bard, Scout or Mastermind Rogue, or Circle of Dreams druid as alternatives.

However, I think Lore bard is REALLY good here, so I made an alternate build for SCAG and the access to Booming Blade and Flame Blade

Books: SCAG
Race: Helf (Sorry, not sorry, but they're flexible and in 3.5 they avoided MC penalties) +1 Wis, +1 Dex. Moon elf heritage for a blade cantrip
Classes Rogue3(Swashbuckler)/Druid3(Land: Forest, which is described in SCAG as common for Circle of Swords Druids)/Bard3(Lore)

Specter
2018-03-14, 04:50 PM
I think the most important thing is to state how you would arrange the starting stats, and what you would use the ASI's for. The greatest challenge of these builds is being good at the things you do instead of just decent.

Snowbluff
2018-03-14, 05:33 PM
I think the most important thing is to state how you would arrange the starting stats, and what you would use the ASI's for. The greatest challenge of these builds is being good at the things you do instead of just decent. Just take get 16 in your casting stats ate first level, dex and con to taste. :p

Having played similar builds, I can tell you that a Moon Druid Bladesinger would synergize. AC is hard to get in animal form, and concentrating on spells is an important part of the playstyle.

You could make a Moon Druid/Swordbard work well for the same reason.

Specter
2018-03-14, 10:08 PM
Just take get 16 in your casting stats ate first level, dex and con to taste. :p

Having played similar builds, I can tell you that a Moon Druid Bladesinger would synergize. AC is hard to get in animal form, and concentrating on spells is an important part of the playstyle.

You could make a Moon Druid/Swordbard work well for the same reason.

In the first case, you have a race that's boosting CHA, which is one of the only two dump stats you have. Starting with 8/10/14/16/16/10, your DEX is not enough to be alive or attack properly in any state other than Wild Shape. So while it lasts, you're good, but other than that you're sad.

The second one is better at skills, but you're still juggling DEX, CON, WIS and CHA. Even starting at level 20, it's hard.

Snowbluff
2018-03-14, 10:28 PM
In the first case, you have a race that's boosting CHA, which is one of the only two dump stats you have. Starting with 8/10/14/16/16/10, your DEX is not enough to be alive or attack properly in any state other than Wild Shape. So while it lasts, you're good, but other than that you're sad. Well the alternative to play an elf (only elves can be blade singers in AL), which would only boost one casting stat. Being good in a straight up melee brawl while you have wildshape uses is 100% intended; that's how druid worked in 3.5. :smalltongue:
You can scribe catnap from XGtE even though it's in a book you haven't taken for AL, so you're in pretty good shape if you want to prioritize recovering those spells. features.

EDIT: If you're doing the Bladesinger version, and not using Druid for save spells, I think a high elf with 8/14/14/16/14/8 could easily be in the cards to add some out of magical bear for survival. At higher levels you have more ASI, so you can get 18 wis still.

The second one is better at skills, but you're still juggling DEX, CON, WIS and CHA. Even starting at level 20, it's hard.

Here you actually are using Helf's cha to good effectiveness. I will admit this one is a bit more of a mess, but that's probably because Fochlucan Lyrist has always been a trainwreck and I was trying to hit the strange nots of the class pretty hard. You can start with 8/16/14/9/13/16 and hit all of the build's requirements, focusing on bard afterwards.