PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on this homebrew bard subclass?

8-bit Avery
2018-03-14, 07:52 PM
I had an idea for a bard that was like an orchestra conductor, but I've been having troubles trying to figure out how to apply the idea mechanically. So I made a subclass.

The College of Symphonies: https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkXSIxRgtz

I'm sure it needs tweaking, or maybe it just doesn't work mechanically at all, but that's why I'm here. To figure that out.
Thanks in advance!

+UPDATES+
– Added instrument effect table and bonus proficiencies.

Specter
2018-03-14, 10:13 PM
What exactly is the benefit of the level 3 feature? You summon instruments and then... Nothing?

Also consider giving it bonus roficiencies, as all Bards have.

8-bit Avery
2018-03-14, 10:22 PM
What exactly is the benefit of the level 3 feature? You summon instruments and then... Nothing?

Also consider giving it bonus roficiencies, as all Bards have.

I originally had a table of instruments that you had to choose from to summon, and you would get a benefit depending on the kind of instrument you summoned, but a friend of mine told me it was unnecessary, so I scrapped it.

Grear Bylls
2018-03-14, 10:29 PM
a friend of mine told me it was unnecessary, so I scrapped it.

A friend of yours was very wrong, as this is an awesome sounding and unique feature with lots of creativity. I REALLY like this concept.

I'd definitely update the class with that, as currently, the first ability does nothing.

Some ideas for power level, maybe look at the Shepard Druid subclass for SIMILAR abilities, not identical

All in all, awesome idea, but may need a little more work

8-bit Avery
2018-03-14, 10:58 PM
A friend of yours was very wrong, as this is an awesome sounding and unique feature with lots of creativity. I REALLY like this concept.

I'd definitely update the class with that, as currently, the first ability does nothing.

Some ideas for power level, maybe look at the Shepard Druid subclass for SIMILAR abilities, not identical

All in all, awesome idea, but may need a little more work

Ah, awesome. I'll keep that in mind~

Thanks!

Also, I originally had the 6th level feature as you had the option to react to an attack by having one of the instruments taking the damage instead, causing the instrument to be destroyed and you'd be unable to conjure another instrument for one minute. That same friend told me it was overpowered. Maybe if it only reduced the damage taken to half instead?

This friend has a lot of homebrew experience so I confer with her on about these things a lot, so....

zinycor
2018-03-14, 11:48 PM
Make sound barrier a 3rd level ability.
get some instrument proficiencies on 3rd level
maybe make Conductor's wand a 6th level ability

Am not clear on what magic maestro does.

Grear Bylls
2018-03-15, 06:11 AM
Maybe if it only reduced the damage taken to half instead?

I think that's a good idea.

I'm working on my own variant of this concept, and can post it here if you want. Feel free to use as many ideas as you'd like.

nickl_2000
2018-03-15, 07:04 AM
There are some major issues and power differences here.

To Powerful:
Guitar
Being able to get advantage on all saving throws and ability checks for all time at level 3 is almost silly powerful

Lute
You have advantage on all attacks for a minute after it is summoned. Then you dismiss it and summon it as a bonus action during the next combat. There is no limiting factor here really, thus making it very powerful for multiclassing where you can get multiple attacks

Pan Flute
So every time you summon this you get up to 25 temp HP? Again, it's to much considering that you can do this pretty much at will.

To Weak:
Lyre
One casting of guidance per long rest? This will be used since guidance is awesome, but it's still super weak compared to others

Violin
Same as the Lyre.

The others seem fine to me, they may not scale all that well, but will still be useful.

The Cats
2018-03-15, 08:21 AM
College of the Maestro (http://www.dmsguild.com/product/183630/College-of-the-Maestro--Bard-College-Option) from the DMs guild has the orchestra conductor feel. Could give you some ideas.

Grear Bylls
2018-03-15, 10:55 AM
Here is my idea of the college. Fell free to take what you wish

College of Symphonies

Master of Music: When you choose this college at 3rd level, you gain proficiency in three instruments of your choice.

Conductors Baton: At 3rd level, you learn how to perfect the use of a baton. You may now use a wand as an arcane focus, but only once you have performed an hour long ritual on it, which you can do as part of a short or long rest. This ritual synchronizes the beat of your heart to your spectral music, and turns the wand into a Conductors Baton. You may only have one Conductors Baton at a time.

Instrumental Summons: Additionally, when you attend this college at 3rd level, you learn how to summon spectral instrumental music, and use it to affect the battlefield. On your turn, you may use an action to expend a use of Bardic Inspiration, but only if you have a Conductors Baton. You create an instrumental effect centered on an area within 60 feet of you, choosing from the options below. The music can affect targets of your choice within a 30 foot radius of the area. You must concentrate on this effect as if it were a spell. The effect persist for a minute, until your concentration is broken, or until you choose to end it using a bonus action. You may only have one effect active at a time. At third level, you know how to conduct the following instruments:

Flute: The flute is elegant and and smooth, and it's effect rubs off on your allies. When you summon this instrument, roll a Bardic Inspiration die. You may then add that to the AC of one of your allies until the start of your next turn. You may trigger this effect on each of your subsequent turns as a bonus action.

Violin: The violin is quick and lively, and causes your allies to be as well. When you activate this ability, the movement speed of each creature of your choice in the area increases by 10 feet until the start of your next turn. You may trigger this effect on each of your subsequent turns as a bonus action.

Trumpet: The trumpet is a kingly and regal instrument. When you summon it, you may restore hit points to one ally in it's radius of sound, equal to one roll of your Bardic Inspiration die plus your Charisma modifier. You may trigger this effect on each of your subsequent turns as a bonus action.

Timpani: The timpani is a booming, thunderous, instrument of tone. It's so loud, you can weaponize it against your foes. When you summon this instrument, all creatures of your choice within its area of effect must make a Constitution saving throw equal to your spell save DC, or take Thunder damage equal to you Bardic Inspiration die plus your Charisma modifier and become frightened of you until their next turn. On success, they take half damage and aren't frightened. You may trigger this effect again on each of your subsequent turns as a bonus action.

Sound Barrier: At 6th Level, your music has become a defensive ability, and allows you to disrupt the attacks of your foes. You learn how to conduct the following instruments:

Bass: The Bass is a sonorous instrument, and reinforces your allies. When you summon this instrument, you may give all allies in the area of music temporary hit points equal the roll of your Bardic Inspiration die plus your Charisma modifier. You may grant this effect on each of of your subsequent turns by using your bonus action.

Tuba: The tuba is a low instrument. So low, in fact, its bass can disrupt attacks. When an ally in the area is damaged by an attack, you may use your reaction to cause a disrupting bass note, which halves the damage your ally takes from that attack. You may trigger this effect again on each of your subsequent turns as a reaction.

Harp: The harp is a melodious and relaxing instrument. When you summon it, all creatures in the area must make a Wisdom saving throw against your spell save DC, or become charmed by you until the start of your next turn. The targets have advantage on this saving throw if you or your allies are actively fighting them. They may also make this saving throw whenever they take any damage. You may trigger this effect on each of your subsequent turns as a bonus action.

Symphonic Summons: At 14th Level, your ability to control music increases greatly. You can now summon up to three instruments at once, all centered on the same point. You must use an action to summon each one, but each effect is, in the order you choose, triggered on your subsequent turns using your bonus action.

8-bit Avery
2018-03-15, 10:33 PM
nickl_2000: I see what you mean about guitar and lute being OP. I hadn't considered that you could just dismiss and summon it to regain the effect. I think I have a solution for that though!

Grear Bylls: Using a bardic inspiration roll to add to AC seems a bit much, potentially granting +6 AC at lower levels and +12 at higher levels. But! I do really like a lot of this flavor text and balancing! I may just have to borrow some of it.