PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Worth taking Mounted Combatant Feat for Halfling Paladin?

Eshfyre
2018-03-14, 10:32 PM
I really want to play a mount-centric PC in my game and because a Halfling is a small race and a Paladin is both a martial class (which I want) and can use Find Steed (and with Xanathar's: Find Greater Steed) to summon an intelligent mount (bypassing the requirements and pitfalls of non-magic mount). I have a few questions:

* Is it worth taking Mounted Combatant Feat, especially since I want to be able to ride creature most the time?
* Is Devotion/Ancient Oaths the best subclass for this?
* Is it even optimal?
* Should I prioritize CHA and go Hexblade after level 6/7 to become SAD?

I like the idea of a David-Goliath situation where an Ancient Oaths Paladin Halfling is riding on a Mastiff towards Hill Giant armed to teeth. Is it a good idea?

Xihirli
2018-03-14, 10:40 PM
Are you really excited for this concept and do you think it'll be loads of fun?

Whatever you answer to these two questions, keep that answer for your question.

Paeleus
2018-03-14, 10:44 PM
There's a Beast Master build that utilizes the halfling/goblin small size category to ride their companion wolf/panther/whatever. There's also some weird dual wielding lances shenanigans possible, too. I'll look up a link if you're into it, but sometimes the fun is in figuring it out .

Eshfyre
2018-03-14, 10:53 PM
Are you really excited for this concept and do you think it'll be loads of fun?

Whatever you answer to these two questions, keep that answer for your question.

Yes. Yes I do.

Xihirli
2018-03-15, 12:08 AM
There ya go then.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-15, 12:40 AM
I agree that you should make your build by what you would enjoy before anything else.

That said, grab the Duelist or Defensive Fighting Style, a lance, and a shield and you'll be set to go, Paladins make great mounted combatants, and the Find Steed and Find Greater Steed spells go well with it.

BeefGood
2018-03-15, 03:03 PM
Mounted Combatant feat:
Two-thirds of it is about keeping your mount alive. Maybe your DM will agree to simply let mounts survive, or give them loads of hit points (as many as you have). This would be just because it's no fun when Rover dies. If your DM doesn't like the idea of the mount being pure gravy, then maybe negotiate some rules for getting knocked off your mount if you take such-and-such damage. (I don't think there are such rules at the moment but I'm away from book.)
The other third of the feat gives you advantage against creatures that are smaller than...you? your mount? I think your mount. Anyway, many creatures will not be affected by that. So that part of the feat is not so great.
In short, I suggest you try to get the benefits of the feat in some other fashion, so that you can use the ASI opportunity for something else.
Hope this is helpful.

MaxWilson
2018-03-15, 03:11 PM
Will your DM allow you to hop on another PC's shoulders and let them act as your mount? If so, then definitely yes! be a Mounted Combatant halflling! Stock up on defensive features like heavy armor and Shield spells, and ride the Recklessly-attacking barbarian or the squishy wizard--whatever PC is facing the most damage.

You can spend all your turns Dodging if you want to make the other PC mostly invulnerable, or you can take actions normally and just rely on your high AC to take less damage than average.

tieren
2018-03-15, 03:33 PM
I concur that the feat is not needed for this build. Especially once you get find steed, because you can always just summon a new one if the first dies.

Maybe take protection fighting style instead to force misses if they target your mount, but I wouldn't take the feat.