PDA

View Full Version : Patches from Dark Souls as a 3.5 character?

Reprimand
2018-03-15, 12:40 AM
Trying to recreate patches as closely as possible to his dark souls counterpart in game but he doesn't seem to even have anything that special about him he basically seems to basically be a fighter/rogue with plenty of skill points invested in social skills and an extreme hatred for clerics and the divine in general.

Defining traits:
Light armor and heavy armor proficient
Tower shield (?)
Uses a spear
Does not cast spells
Silver tongue
Unarmed strike (?)
Extreme hatred for divine casters
Strength not dex focused

Is there a mage slayer type class that is strictly for shuting down divine casters?

Venger
2018-03-15, 02:00 AM
Trying to recreate patches as closely as possible to his dark souls counterpart in game but he doesn't seem to even have anything that special about him he basically seems to basically be a fighter/rogue with plenty of skill points invested in social skills and an extreme hatred for clerics and the divine in general.

Defining traits:
Light armor and heavy armor proficient
Tower shield (?)
Uses a spear
Does not cast spells
Silver tongue
Unarmed strike (?)
Extreme hatred for divine casters
Strength not dex focused

Is there a mage slayer type class that is strictly for shuting down divine casters?

The concept exists thematically, but like anything in 3.x, the best way to be a mage killer is to be a mage yourself. noncasters just can't keep up.

that being said, if you wanted to be a brute who hates divine casters, you may look at planar handbook's defiant. mechanically it's not a very good class, but the force of your atheism protects you from divine magic and lets you hamper divine magic users a little bit sometimes.

a standard crusader lockdown build with the mage slayer line would also serve your concept perfectly adequately, and you could do it with crusader 20.

if you think of tob as "spells" and it's a system mastery issue, then you may look at occult slayer or witch slayer, again with the mage slayer line in the vein of a traditional lockdown build.

SangoProduction
2018-03-15, 04:21 AM
and lets you hamper divine magic users a little bit sometimes.

That is the most true statement I've seen. Congratulations on winning the internet. Here's a cookie.

NecroDancer
2018-03-15, 08:58 AM
Perhaps give Patches the vow of poverty as he is above all worldly wants (or so he claims).

Also if you can make Patches a were-spider that would also be a nice reference to his bloodborne appearance.

Reprimand
2018-03-15, 11:17 AM
I'm not trying to be optimal I just want like a few ideas along prcs feats or what not while sticking close to the theme. Which is basically a roguish fighter who is more of a trickster than a fighter. But still had the muscle to back it up. I don't need 9th level spells etc

Wartex1
2018-03-15, 12:12 PM
Patches hates Clerics, but he doesn't specialize in killing them.

Just a normal Fighter/Rogue type character using a tower shield and spear.