PDA

View Full Version : Prepared spells question

Crow_Nightfeath
2018-03-15, 12:44 AM
So I've been playing for a while and I've never really been able to figure this out. So when you prepare spells do you only have 1 day to cast them or do they stay prepared until they are cast. Main reason I ask is if the cleric fails to prepare his spells at the given time he has to wait til the next day.

Falontani
2018-03-15, 12:57 AM
It truly depends on what kind of spellcaster you are. I believe the moment a wizard sleeps for the night he loses access to the previous day's worth of spells. But by RAW I don't remember all the nuances

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-15, 01:54 AM
Prepared spells stay prepared until you expend or wipe them and you can only wipe them at the time you normally prepare.

There are, I think, some exceptions in the odd prestige class but the general rule is that a spell is prepared until you decide you don't want it to be anymore, barring negative levels.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-15, 07:48 AM
With arcane prepared casters they generally require the rest period but can take it at any time. If rest is interrupted they can pick up where they left off, but each interruption adds an hour to the rest needed. If they don't get the rest needed, the rules for preparing Arcane Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#preparingWizardSpells) include the following relevant point that addresses what happens to their previously prepared spells:

Prepared Spell Retention: Once a wizard prepares a spell, it remains in her mind as a nearly cast spell until she uses the prescribed components to complete and trigger it or until she abandons it.

The rules for preparing Divine Spells (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/divineSpells.htm#preparingDivineSpells) do work slightly differently, and don't appear to answer the question of what happens to previously prepared spells after 24 hours. However, with regard to preparing new spells the following two points are relevant:

Time of Day: If some event prevents a character from praying at the proper time, he must do so as soon as possible. If the character does not stop to pray for spells at the first opportunity, he must wait until the next day to prepare spells.
Spell Selection and Preparation: A divine spellcaster does not have to prepare all his spells at once. However, the character’s mind is considered fresh only during his or her first daily spell preparation, so a divine spellcaster cannot fill a slot that is empty because he or she has cast a spell or abandoned a previously prepared spell.