PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to get a mount at 1st level?

Greywander
2018-03-15, 02:21 AM
I'm building a forest gnome cleric 1/wizard X, and given the gnome's lack of speed and the wizard's desire to stay out of melee, I'm considering if it would be a good idea to get a mount. Plus, as a small race, I can mount a medium sized creature, and I figure I'll be able to stay mounted even indoors.

This doesn't come cheaply, however. A mastiff costs 25 gp, a riding saddle 10 gp, a bit and bridle 2 gp, and saddlebags 6 gp. That's a total of 41 gp, most of which is going towards a mount with 5 HP. For 5 gp more I could upgrade to a pony with a whopping 11 HP. (Page 198 implies a donkey or mule is also mountable, and those only cost 8 gp. Would that work? How is this different from a 30 gp pony?)

If I start as a cleric, I can sell my scale mail, mace, light crossbow, and 20 bolts for 41 gp, just barely affording it. But I have no weapon or armor (except a shield), and should probably be saving up for a spellbook for when I multiclass into wizard at 2nd level.

If there's any class that could get away with it, though, it would probably be a wizard. A melee class would want a sturdier mount, which just isn't affordable at 1st level.

Crgaston
2018-03-15, 05:41 AM
This is highly DM dependent, but...

Unless the mount has had combat training, it is liable to bolt during an encounter unless your Animal Handling skills are top notch. The training is a big part of why the mastiff and warhorse are priced the way they are, so an 8gp mule is probably going to be a pain in the rear in an encounter. Pun intended.

Objectively, you’d probably be better off making acquiring a mount your character’s first goal rather than trying to start with one, but again, that’s highly DM/setting dependent.

That said, a specially trained War Mule would be awesome!

Spore
2018-03-15, 06:11 AM
Is "Horse" still an option for wizard familiars? If yes a horse or pony summoned by you should be free. If not, ask your DM. He might allow it. After all wasn't even Gandalf's horse his familiar?

Crgaston
2018-03-15, 07:01 AM
Is "Horse" still an option for wizard familiars? If yes a horse or pony summoned by you should be free. If not, ask your DM. He might allow it. After all wasn't even Gandalf's horse his familiar?

Shadowfax would scoff at the notion of being called a “familiar.” And then kick you in the chest.
:)

SirGraystone
2018-03-15, 09:06 AM
Shadowfax is more a paladin's steed, then a wizard's familiar

Easy_Lee
2018-03-15, 09:27 AM
This is highly DM dependent, but...

Unless the mount has had combat training, it is liable to bolt during an encounter unless your Animal Handling skills are top notch. The training is a big part of why the mastiff and warhorse are priced the way they are, so an 8gp mule is probably going to be a pain in the rear in an encounter. Pun intended.

Objectively, you’d probably be better off making acquiring a mount your character’s first goal rather than trying to start with one, but again, that’s highly DM/setting dependent.

I agree with this, but for a different reason.

By the strict RAW, there is basically no downside to a small character riding a medium mount at all times. However, that's only by strict RAW. Many DMs will apply all kinds of arbitrary penalties to riding a mount simply because it feels right to them. That may include:

"Animal Handling" checks (no longer a skill, the closest thing is Nature) at random intervals.
Forcing your mount to make a saving throw or run away when surprised, or simply strip you of control of your mount when something scary happens.
Forcing you to spend an inordinate amount of game time taking care of your mount.
Whipping out AoE effects specifically designed to kill mounts.

Long story short, some DMs can be real big a-holes when it comes to mounts. Mounted combat resembles stealth and illusions in this regard.

You should ask your DM ahead of time to write down his house rules regarding mounted combat. If he says he's going to go by the book, then write down the section of the book that describes mounted combat. Familiarize yourself with it so that you can politely correct your DM if he gets something wrong. Politely is key because, remember, you aren't playing against your DM, you're playing with him.

BLC1975
2018-03-15, 10:53 AM
From my point of view characters are supposed to be heroic...it makes no sense to walk everywhere so I would encourage to get a mount/horse and cart as soon as funds allow it.

Saying that though, most level 1 adventurers would be developed to level 2 or 3 before leaving town and travelling any kind of distance. There should be enough local issues to start with.

Greywander
2018-03-15, 03:10 PM
I'm away from my books at the moment, but I believe familiars are restricted to Tiny size, even for chainlocks.

By the strict RAW, there is basically no downside to a small character riding a medium mount at all times. However, that's only by strict RAW. Many DMs will apply all kinds of arbitrary penalties to riding a mount simply because it feels right to them. That may include:

"Animal Handling" checks (no longer a skill, the closest thing is Nature) at random intervals.
Forcing your mount to make a saving throw or run away when surprised, or simply strip you of control of your mount when something scary happens.
Forcing you to spend an inordinate amount of game time taking care of your mount.
Whipping out AoE effects specifically designed to kill mounts.

Long story short, some DMs can be real big a-holes when it comes to mounts. Mounted combat resembles stealth and illusions in this regard.
All good advice. It's easy to make things difficult for a player whose build depends on a much weaker support creature. It's why BM rangers tend to be considered underpowered.

I believe Animal Handling is still a skill, though, and I was considering getting proficiency with it. Originally I just wanted proficiency in all four knowledge skills plus Investigation and Stealth (possible with a Knowledge cleric), but I thought I'd add some personality by dropping a knowledge skill for Animal Handling (although not technically a legal skill combination for a cleric, so it would depend on DM approval).

What are some ways I could protect my mount, aside from barding? Can mounts use magic items?

I flipped through the MM earlier and the couatl looked like one of the more appealing medium sized creatures that would possibly be mountable. I doubt most DMs would allow that though, and the ones that would would likely make it a major quest to gain the trust of the couatl and then treat it like an independent NPC rather than an owned mount.

In any case, it sounds like I should build my character to be able to operate without a mount, and then later on I can augment my abilities with a mount while remaining capable if something should happen to it.