PDA

View Full Version : Gunslinger Iterative attacks

Aphetoros
2018-03-15, 03:50 AM
Hey all—

What limits a gunslinger with a free action reload’s iterative attacks? Or could they technically make as many attacks in a turn as alchemical cartridges they have in RAW? Found a lot of discussion about this but no hard and fast rule.

Thanks!

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-15, 03:58 AM
I'm not super familiar with the firearms rules but unless they specifically say that firing a gun is a standard action or directly forbids iterative attacks then attacking with a firearm is no different than attacking with a crossbow. If you can reload as a free action, firing multiple shots with iterative attacks should be fine.

Psyren
2018-03-15, 09:28 AM
Yes, the reload time is usually the only thing that restricts how fast you can fire any projectile weapon - not just for guns, but for crossbows and slings too. And even if you can't reload as a free action yet, several firearms reload in multi-use clips.

Necroticplague
2018-03-15, 11:22 AM
Hey all—

What limits a gunslinger with a free action reload’s iterative attacks? The same thing that limits anyone else's iteratives: their ammo supply (if applicable) and BaB.

Or could they technically make as many attacks in a turn as alchemical cartridges they have in RAW? Found a lot of discussion about this but no hard and fast rule.

Thanks!

The fact there's no hard and fast rules settles it. Normally, there's no limit on iteratives attacks with weapons beyond the BaB needed to get them. So unless a weapon has a special rule that makes it not able to have iteratives, it can take iteratives as normal. Firearms lack such a rule, so they're good to go.

grarrrg
2018-03-15, 05:43 PM
What limits a gunslinger with a free action reload’s iterative attacks? Or could they technically make as many attacks in a turn as alchemical cartridges they have in RAW? Found a lot of discussion about this but no hard and fast rule.

I'm curious about the "lot of discussion" part. Who says you can't get Free Action reloads?

Granted, you need at least two 'things' to get to Free Action, but everything stacks together well enough.
'Things' usually being Rapid Reload (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/rapid-reload-combat/), Alchemical Cartridges (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/), and Fast Musket (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/gunslinger/archetypes/paizo-gunslinger-archetypes/musket-master).

Aphetoros
2018-03-15, 08:47 PM
The same thing that limits anyone else's iteratives: their ammo supply (if applicable) and BaB.

The fact there's no hard and fast rules settles it. Normally, there's no limit on iteratives attacks with weapons beyond the BaB needed to get them. So unless a weapon has a special rule that makes it not able to have iteratives, it can take iteratives as normal. Firearms lack such a rule, so they're good to go.

Ah yes, this is what I was asking. What I was reading confused me (somewhere on the paizo forums) that if I full-attack as a gunslinger with alchemical cartridges and rapid reload that I could basically make as many attacks as I had ammo. No one mentioned base attack bonus that I saw so it seemed like from first level I could attack as many times as I wanted so long as I could reload and had the ammo.

Definitely a misreading on my part I think of the various threads I was reading.

The thread I was reading has

Assuming 16th Level Gunslinger (BAB +16)

...which I completely missed.

So just to double check— you still need the BAB to get access to more attacks regardless of reloading speed.

I think I thought it fel under “some special reason.”

If you get more than one attack per round because your base attack bonus is high enough (see Base Attack Bonus in Classes), because you fight with two weapons or a double weapon, or for some special reason, you must use a full-round action to get your additional attacks.

As it’s only my second time playing pathfinder, and the dm’s first time dm’ing, it’s something we missed.

Aphetoros
2018-03-15, 11:15 PM
The same thing that limits anyone else's iteratives: their ammo supply (if applicable) and BaB.

Double reply, but:

If you are using a double barreled pistol (2 chambers) or a revolver (6 chambers), you still need a BaB of +6 to get two attacks, correct? Unless you grab the rapid shot feat?

So even with a double barreled pistol, I couldn't fire twice in one round unless I have a high enough BaB?

grarrrg
2018-03-16, 12:44 AM
If you are using a double barreled pistol (2 chambers) or a revolver (6 chambers), you still need a BaB of +6 to get two attacks, correct? Unless you grab the rapid shot feat?

So even with a double barreled pistol, I couldn't fire twice in one round unless I have a high enough BaB?

Correct. Except the double barrel does have an optional ability to fire both barrels as a Standard Action, but you get -4 to hit.

Aphetoros
2018-03-16, 09:08 PM
Correct. Except the double barrel does have an optional ability to fire both barrels as a Standard Action, but you get -4 to hit.

Thanks! So really, if the target's not engaged by melee you shouldn't do it unless you have precise shot to mitigate, otherwise you have a -8 penalty, and even that could be hard to hit touch ac with.

grarrrg
2018-03-16, 10:33 PM
Thanks! So really, if the target's not engaged by melee you shouldn't do it unless you have precise shot to mitigate, otherwise you have a -8 penalty, and even that could be hard to hit touch ac with.
Yeah, and the other downside is "double blast" is strictly a Standard. So once you get extra attacks (Bab/rapid shot) it loses value really quickly, and only becomes worth it when you can't full attack.

Aphetoros
2018-03-18, 07:25 AM
Yeah, and the other downside is "double blast" is strictly a Standard. So once you get extra attacks (Bab/rapid shot) it loses value really quickly, and only becomes worth it when you can't full attack.

Good to know. I'll keep saving for a revolver/pepperbox then.