PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Playing you?

2D8HP
2018-03-15, 07:33 AM
In ancient times,
Hundreds of years before the dawn of history Yesterday
Lived a strange race of people, the Druids @Tanarii had a suggestion:

Given this is 5e, I think it'd be far more interesting to try and describe your IRL Personality, Ideal, Bond and Flaw. In one simple easy to remember sentence for someone else trying to "play" you. Harder too. :smallamused:

But that's probably worth its own thread.

So in that spirit here's some selected from pages 117 to 141 of the PHB:

Personality Traits
I quote (or misquote) sacred texts or proverbs [Anderson, Gygax', Moorcock, Other Playgrounders, Spinal Tap, Tolkien], in almost every situation.

Sarcasm and insults are my weapons of choice.

Ideal
It is the duty of all civilized people to strengthen the bonds of community and the security of civilization.

Bond
I owe my guild a great debt for forging me into the person I am today.

Flaw
I'm never satisfied with what I have - I always want more

If deciding on a list to "play you" is too hard, please just list the Personality Traits, Ideal, Bond, and Flaw that your PC's most commonly have.

Thanks!

Naanomi
2018-03-15, 08:01 AM
Personality: I am exceedingly precise when I see it matters, and exceedingly lazy when I see it doesn’t

Even among friends and family, or even strangers, it is easy to slip into ‘Teacher voice’ to share enriching details about the topic at hand (even if no one asked)

Ideal: Everyone, no matter how broken or flawed, deserves a fair chance to succeed and should be given that chance and the resources they need to make that chance meaningful

Bond: The success and challenges of my students, even those long moved on, pull at me

Flaw: I can’t let other people stay wrong when I can correct them; even when I know they won’t care or it may get me in trouble to do so

the_brazenburn
2018-03-15, 08:11 AM
Personality Traits:

I'm constantly looking for opportunities to show off my intelligence, whether or not it pertains to the current situation.

I have a particular loathing for those who hold a position of superiority and allow it to corrupt their actions.

Ideal:

Freedom: All people should have the freedom to do what they find necessary, without emphasis on restrictive laws and regulations.

Bond:

I never forget my flaws, and I'm always seeking to become more than I am.

Flaw:

I can't stand to be told that I'm wrong.

Quoxis
2018-03-15, 08:24 AM
Personality trait: i‘m lazy when i should be precise and precise when it doesn’t matter to anyone but me.

Ideal: Aspiration. Some day i‘ll get my life together - but that day is probably not today.

Bond: I‘m quickly clinging onto people, but those i call friends i go through great trouble for.

Flaw: I‘m slow to truly trust others and suspect a potential foe in everyone i meet.
I avoid losses, even if it means declining a potential success.
I am too lazy to finish sentences someti

strangebloke
2018-03-15, 08:34 AM
Personality Trait: I have an opinion on literally everything imaginable.

Ideal: Aspiration: I want to be truly righteous.

Bond: My family is more important to me than anything in the world.

Flaw: I am ruled by my appetites.

ProsecutorGodot
2018-03-15, 09:22 AM
Personality Trait:
-I spend more time worry about checking my facts than checking for mistakes and if the mistakes are pointed out to me I'm often embarrassed at the oversight.
-I'm not a strong speaker and articulating my points in words is difficult, misunderstandings resulting from this frustrate me.

Ideal:
-The free time I set aside for myself is precious and I don't like when circumstance takes it from me.

Bond:
-If I were to lose the group of friends I have now, I don't know how I would handle it.

Flaw:
-I wear my heart of my sleeve and it often causes trouble in keeping secrets or promises. Conflict, even as small as a heated debate, can leave me stressed out and mentally drained.

I'm not sure I'd make a very good adventurer, I kind of sound like a Hermit Wizard who definitely keeps to the back lines.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-15, 01:27 PM
Personality Trait:
-I'm willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgment.

-I get bored easily. When am I going to get on with my destiny.

Ideal:
-Chains are meant to be broken, as are those who would forge them.

Bond:
-I have a child to protect. I must make the world a safer
place for him

Flaw:
-I remember every insult I've received and nurse a silent resentment toward anyone who's ever wronged me.

A quite a few of the personality traits would have worked for me, and so so so many of the flaws would have too.

KorvinStarmast
2018-03-15, 01:38 PM
Personality Trait:
- I can be a real nice guy or an utter SoB (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkupn-XKxpM).

Ideal:
- We are all free to go to hell (or heaven) by the choices we make.
(Put in other terms: if you aren't free to screw up, you aren't free)

Bond:
- Once my friend, friend for life.

Flaw:
- Still make jokes at inappropriate occasions.

EvilAnagram
2018-03-15, 02:00 PM
Personality Trait: I ease my way into social circles using humor and listening skills.

Ideal: Act according to rules that, when followed, maximise happiness.

Bond: My family is the most important thing in my life.

Flaw: My biting wit will bite quite hard, sometimes unintentionally.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-15, 02:09 PM
Personality Trait: Apathy to nearly everything is a way of life.

Ideal: I must know everything I can.

Bond: I have a sense of honor, that I will not willingly break.

Flaw: When the situation is of little importance, I will lie for no reason beyond humor, constantly.

Regitnui
2018-03-15, 02:48 PM
Personality Traits:
I'm quiet to strangers, kind to acquaintances, and boisterous around my true friends.
Give me stories, give me narrative but don't leave me doing stuff for no reason other than the stuff.

Ideal:
Knowledge is free and easier to acquire now than ever before. Spread and teach!

Bond:
My books and my stories; whether physical, electronic, or created by me; are my pride and joy!

Flaw:
Don't assume I'm an idiot or call me stupid. I will not stand being talked down to.

samcifer
2018-03-15, 02:50 PM
Ideal:
I want to gain the power to make squirrels explode using only my mind!

Bond...
...James Bond

Flaw:
(DM stares at my character sheet with an expression of shocked disbelief) "Dude! How is it even possible to have a double-digit penalty in any stat at all let alone charisma?"

EvilAnagram
2018-03-15, 03:20 PM
People are taking some rather liberal approaches to the one-sentence rule.

2D8HP
2018-03-15, 03:32 PM
People are taking some rather liberal approaches to the one-sentence rule.

Well, the PHB often uses more than one sentence, and it's usually two Personality Traits in the PHB, and as @GlenSmash! mentioned:

...quite a few of the personality traits would have worked for me, and so so so many of the flaws would have too.

often more than one is applicable, so I don't begrudge anyone using more letters.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-15, 03:42 PM
Well, the PHB often uses more than one sentence, and it's usually two Personality Traits in the PHB, and as @GlenSmash! mentioned:

often more than one is applicable, so I don't begrudge anyone using more letters.

Just find all the flaws related to Alcohol and assume I have those as well then :smallwink:

Tanarii
2018-03-15, 04:03 PM
Personality:
- I get along with almost everyone.

Ideal:
- Ideals aren't important, people are.

Bond:
- I owe many people who helped me get my life back on track, and I work hard to repay their trust in me.

Flaws:
- Whatever I do, I do to excess, often to the point it's self destructive.
- I like to argue, and I get invested in my positions.

The Flaws often get in the way of the other traits, of course.

EvilAnagram
2018-03-15, 06:14 PM

I like to think that limits make it interesting. For example, my flaw is also a bit of a complement, illustrating my intense egotism. Boom! Two flaws in a single sentence. People need to put some work into it!

GlenSmash!
2018-03-15, 06:48 PM
I like to think that limits make it interesting.

Indeed trying to distill it down to just one or two is part of the fun.

G mayes
2018-03-15, 10:44 PM
Personality Trait:
I don't care what people think, and I don't talk to them so I don't have to hear it.

Ideal:
Work to make the lives around you better so your work has meaning regardless of what you do.

Bond:
Brotherhood before blood.

Flaw:
I believe that people in general are idiots who deserve their position in life. I know I've earned my crappy life.

Nifft
2018-03-15, 11:24 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfcefpoCj0M&feature=youtu.be&t=1m20s

Personality Trait - I have a joke for every occasion, especially occasions where humor is inappropriate.

Ideal - Creativity. The world is in need of new ideas and bold action. (Chaotic)

Bond - The common folk must see me as a hero of the people.

Flaw - Secretly, I believe that things would be better if I were a tyrant lording over the land.

Tanarii
2018-03-15, 11:38 PM
Flaw - Secretly, I believe that things would be better if I were a tyrant lording over the land.
Haha one of my first AL characters had this flaw. It was disturbingly easy to play. :smallbiggrin:

Astofel
2018-03-16, 02:19 AM
Personality Trait - I might seem quiet at first, but get me talking and I'll ramble on indefinitely.
Ideal - Knowledge. I live to learn everything that I can.
Bond - The friends I've surrounded myself with are incredibly important to me.
Flaw - I can become intensely frustrated when a task proves to be outside my skill level.

As always with my characters, I have trouble coming up with a bond that isn't "I like my friends".

oxybe
2018-03-16, 02:39 AM
Personality Trait - Easygoing. Chill. Maxin' and relaxin'.
Ideal - Aim for mediocrity! Aim for what you can do and only higher if you're very confident! don't rock the boat!
Bond - my computers: knowledge, entertainment & news all in one package and at my fingertips.
Flaw - Oh gods where do I start? sloth? greed? general all purpose cowardice and sneakyness? that I can carry some grudges for ages? my lack of empathy/misanthropy?

Underneath that easygoing outside is a cool, jaded box of apathy bursting at the seams on pizza & chocolate.