PDA

View Full Version : Nonn-acid, oozes? Is that a thing?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-15, 09:03 AM
After the latest comic I'm wondering if there are any non-acid, non-lethal ooze sub-types? I can't think of one.

BWR
2018-03-15, 10:20 AM
*blink blink*

Your thread title and the actual post don't make sense together. Unless you're looking for slime girls (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SlimeGirl) (or even worse stuff on various naughty video sites)

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-15, 10:28 AM
Sorry I ended up restoring a draft for a Thread I didn't post. Nevermind that.

Lord Torath
2018-03-15, 10:31 AM
So we're looking at oozes, puddings, jellies, and slimes? Plus Gelatinous Cubes?

Nifft
2018-03-15, 11:24 AM
After the latest comic I'm wondering if there are any non-acid, non-lethal ooze sub-types? I can't think of one.

What does "non-lethal" mean in this context?

Are humans "lethal"?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-15, 11:27 AM
There are some oozes that don't deal acid damage but do other kind of damages(Cold or necrotic, for exemple) on contact, is there any type of ooze or slime that you can enter in contact without end up with your flesh falling of?

FreddyNoNose
2018-03-15, 05:22 PM
What does "non-lethal" mean in this context?

Are humans "lethal"?

Yeah, not sure the right terminology is being toss about by the OP.

bc56
2018-03-15, 05:49 PM
Slithering tracker, Volo's guide.
It just drowns you instead.
D&S 5e, don't know about other systems.

Kiero
2018-03-16, 05:23 AM
Surely the whole point of oozes, puddings and so on is that they eat by contact with things. So the best you might manage is something that doesn't eat organic matter, but it's still probably going to be toxic to beings, even if it eats iron, for example.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-16, 10:14 AM
Thank you. Now I have to add Rust Jelly to my personal bestiary.

Goaty14
2018-03-16, 11:12 AM
After the latest comic

Sh! A wizard did it, probably along the lines of Water Breathing, and Acid Immunity.

LordEntrails
2018-03-16, 11:49 AM
Brown Mold? Yellow Mold?

Do you consider mold oozes?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-16, 04:45 PM
I want one that can be used as pet, that kids can hug and play with.

bc56
2018-03-16, 08:11 PM
Only one thing to say. Homebrew it.
Oozes are (almost) always hostile creatures in existing works, but you can always make one up that isn't.

Nifft
2018-03-16, 08:27 PM
Only one thing to say. Homebrew it.

This.

Call it a Play-Doh Golem.

FreddyNoNose
2018-03-17, 01:09 AM
Thank you. Now I have to add Rust Jelly to my personal bestiary.

And the world was a better place for it!

Kiero
2018-03-17, 09:51 AM
I want one that can be used as pet, that kids can hug and play with.

How would a mindless thing that exists only to eat and divide itself into new organisms be a remotely appropriate pet for children?

LordEntrails
2018-03-17, 11:24 AM
How would a mindless thing that exists only to eat and divide itself into new organisms be a remotely appropriate pet for children?
Depends on the child.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-17, 08:06 PM
Maybe a slime made of honey? That sounds harmless and delicious enough.

ImNotTrevor
2018-03-18, 01:38 PM
So basically you want SCP-999?

That could make a great pet. Subsists entirely on sugar and candy, smells great, gives hugs that can cure depression, and is incredibly friendly.

And it's pretty much the only entirely harmless SCP.

http://www.scp-wiki.net/scp-999

If it's based on that, it could be a great pet.

Goaty14
2018-03-18, 02:06 PM
Ok, but to actually answer your question: 3.5 has a "Amulet of Ooze Riding" (A&EG) that basically wraps the wearer in force whenever he/she would normally touch an ooze (also making the wearer immune to oozes). The comic worked such that the 'rider' hit the force sphere to simulate the cube's senses of finding food.

Mastikator
2018-03-18, 03:50 PM
How about a land jelly fish?

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-18, 08:10 PM
How about a land jelly fish?

Aren't they like super acid? And Immortal?

Kitten Champion
2018-03-18, 10:13 PM
Like this?

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/dragonquest/images/6/69/DQVIII_-_Slime.png/revision/latest/scale-to-width-down/200?cb=20151121125212

or this?

http://www.nisamerica.com/games/mk2/image/character/puni_brother/puni_01.png

Or even this?

https://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/4/4c/132Ditto_Ranger3.png/200px-132Ditto_Ranger3.png

DavidSh
2018-03-19, 10:23 AM
I recognize a slime from Dragon Quest <whatever number> and a puni from Atelier <your alchemist's name here>, but what is the third one?

Grim Portent
2018-03-19, 11:20 AM
I doubt you'll find many, if any, mechanical examples of such a creature. Oozes are generally intended to be hostile rather than harmless outside of some adult fiction, but working out how one would behave and be cared for might be rather fun.

I could see an ooze that only eats dead organic matter being quite useful for waste disposal and medical purposes. Hard to clean up after if it randomly ejects waste products, but useful. Once people start using them to throw rotten cabbages into eventually someone'll give one a name and start sticking hard to digest hats on top of it or carrying it places in a bucket and feeding it small chunks of their own food. Hugging it might be hard, but if it can only eat dead skin and hair it's not really a problem. Hell, actual giant snails can be more dangerous in real life if you hold them too long and they start trying to eat your skin.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-19, 11:28 AM
I recognize a slime from Dragon Quest <whatever number> and a puni from Atelier <your alchemist's name here>, but what is the third one?Looks kind of like a Ditto from Pokemon. Wave you pseudopods in the air like you don't care!

Update on the Rust Jelly:
Mechanically, it was an Ochre Jelly, replacing the acid for rust monster rust touch, and adding an autograb for more delicious NOM NOM NOM action. The encounter was in a large room full of wrecked furniture. The party smart guy investigated some of the wreckage, and noted that all the metal hardware and fittings were absent.

It played much like a regular jelly in terms of equipment peril - they focused on ranged attacks to preserve equipment. It was interesting how the arrows just kind of stuck rather than being eaten, revealing that they use a rolling motion to get around.

Best moment was when the Paladin Nat 1'd a javelin, and is noisily landing beside a Jelly. It slowly reached out to grab the javelin and dragged it in to nonchalantly rust-munch it.

S@tanicoaldo
2018-03-19, 11:32 AM
I recognize a slime from Dragon Quest <whatever number> and a puni from Atelier <your alchemist's name here>, but what is the third one?

I belive that's the pokemon ditto, God I used to love the atelier iris series when i was a teen. Bring back memories, nice catch.

I doubt you'll find many, if any, mechanical examples of such a creature. Oozes are generally intended to be hostile rather than harmless outside of some adult fiction, but working out how one would behave and be cared for might be rather fun.

I could see an ooze that only eats dead organic matter being quite useful for waste disposal and medical purposes. Hard to clean up after if it randomly ejects waste products, but useful. Once people start using them to throw rotten cabbages into eventually someone'll give one a name and start sticking hard to digest hats on top of it or carrying it places in a bucket and feeding it small chunks of their own food. Hugging it might be hard, but if it can only eat dead skin and hair it's not really a problem. Hell, actual giant snails can be more dangerous in real life if you hold them too long and they start trying to eat your skin.

My ideia is that it's a pet for a human civilization who decided to live underground, they found some oozes and decided to bred it until they were harmless, idiotic and docile, kind of like what we did with dogs.

Really? God I have no problem with animals people ussualy find disguting like cockroaches and rats but I hate snails I find them really repulsive. Thanks for the mental image. X_x

Grim Portent
2018-03-19, 11:51 AM
My ideia is that it's a pet for a human civilization who decided to live underground, they found some oozes and decided to bred it until they were harmless, idiotic and docile, kind of like what we did with dogs.

In that case I'd go with them finding some oozes feeding on their middens and culling the dangerous ones and keeping the harmless ones around to outcompete the dangerous ones. After a while you get them keeping oozes in their houses to eat dirt and similar. Since they're underground there's no risk of them eating wooden floors or anything, so you can generally just let them meander around the house.

Eventually some mutate during reproduction creating colour variants and become fashionable variants and breeds. They digest slowly enough that you can stick a food item in them and it'll just sit there for days or weeks as they wobble around, and clothing can be placed on them because of how long it takes to get eaten, resulting in them being dressed up like small pets often are.

Little green blobs about the size of a bowling ball sliming around with leftover food scraps floating in them and a top hat or similar balanced on their surface could be both cute and surreal.

On top of that they could be useful for eating necrotic tissue out of wounds or exfoliation, similar to medical maggots and the small fish that eat dead skin and parasites off of other fish.

Really? God I have no problem with animals people ussualy find disguting like cockroaches and rats but I hate snails I find them really repulsive. Thanks for the mental image. X_x

Sorry, didn't mean to squick you out. They don't bite or anything, they basically slowly lick a small patch of skin off. African Land Snails are mostly herbivores and usually only do it by accident. They lick things to see if they're edible, but their tongue equivalent is also their version of teeth, so they scrape little bits of stuff off when they lick. As long as they aren't held in one place for too long they don't break the skin, and they'd much rather be eating vegetables.

Mastikator
2018-03-19, 02:36 PM
Aren't they like super acid? And Immortal?

There are non-acidic species of jellyfish. When I was a kid I picked one up and played with it. It didn't have those stingy tentacles that most jellyfish do.

How about instead of being just a bag of water it contains bubbles of hydrogen that it produces through photosynthesis, so it floats and uses its non-acidic tentacles to move about?

That could easily justify it also glowing in the dark and shooting flames (at an extremely limited rate)

Telonius
2018-03-19, 02:41 PM
In D&D 3.5, Living Spells are technically Oozes. They don't have to be harmful; some can even be beneficial.

Knaight
2018-03-19, 02:55 PM
As long as we're looking at general depictions I'd also add the Chu or Chuchu from the Legend of Zelda series, which are typically not depicted as acidic. Plus, fundamentally an ooze is a viscous non-newtonian fluid with some indpendant movement which may or may not have an outer membrane. Said fluid being incredibly caustic is one way to make things dangerous, but it's far from required. Fast moving water can be dangerous enough, and the viscosity isn't going to make it less dangerous at comparable speeds.

Amazon
2018-03-19, 06:33 PM
We also have Jell from monster rancher, they are not acid they attack with whip like arms or by smashing their foes.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/monster-rancher/images/5/59/Jell_%28Anime%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20161209203234

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-MCkUGzISuBE/VERxkvVMX1I/AAAAAAAABQM/8VfxQJSvCzo/s1600/captianjelluhoh.JPG

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/monster-rancher/images/5/5d/Jell_MR1.png/revision/latest?cb=20151105052037