PDA

View Full Version : This is Brazenburn’s fault...

ZorroGames
2018-03-15, 10:09 AM
Best... Worst... grumble... 😉 okay, not really.

As a dedicated Mountain Dwarf player I plan to eventually play a Mountain Dwarf in each class to around 4th or 5th level for my own curiousity sake.

When I played (O)D&D through the early days of AD&D 2nd I played Clerics (highest 18th,) Fighters, Rangers (when they were published in the Strategic Review/The Dragon magazine,) Wizard to 16th level, and a Monk to 7th (Whee, 7 x D4!) but expanding to the others classes, especially in 5e, is a bit concerning.

Here is my list of intended order to play them:

Monk (done to 5th)

Fighter (Ready but game never started so waiting for table) - played an Earth Genasi to 5th in a short campaign and now on Ready Reserve for AL 2nd Tier games at shop so not in such a rush actually)

Cleric (IN Progress)

Barbarian (Ready)

Wizard (90%)

Bard (80%)

Druid (70%)

Paladin (In Progress at a different table currently on hold)

Ranger (ST) - (previous VHuman ranged died) (50%)

Rogue (25%)

Warlock (25%)

Sorcerer (25%)

Trying to mix melee and casters so games do not get caught in a circle of repeating styles.

Which ones might I expect to be the hardest to play? I I played my past Martials pretty aggressively and my past Wizard as a cover conscious “sniper” in earlier editions. Wiil that hinder me in any class?

Hesh
2018-03-15, 10:12 AM
I can't imagine any of the classes will be particularly hard, but 4E monk gets the least benefits from your Race features, but +2 Con isn't to be sneezed at on a monk and it mitigates your slow speed.

ZorroGames
2018-03-15, 10:16 AM
I can't imagine any of the classes will be particularly hard, but 4E monk gets the least benefits from your Race features, but +2 Con isn't to be sneezed at on a monk and it mitigates your slow speed.

This 5e monk started fairly fragile but after a period of ping-pong playing developed into a good hit and run, chase the casters type character.

I learned a lot about 5e playing what some called an “unacceptably gimped” character. And a lot about those players...

ImproperJustice
2018-03-15, 10:41 AM
This 5e monk started fairly fragile but after a period of ping-pong playing developed into a good hit and run, chase the casters type character.

I learned a lot about 5e playing what some called an “unacceptably gimped” character. And a lot about those players...

Kudos to you.

Most “gimped” character concepts usually find a niche that is not immediately obvious until you are running one.

I loke you Dwarf experiment and hope to hear more.
In my experience, radiant soul monks tend to have good survivability by being able to keep their distance as needed.