PDA

View Full Version : Fighting styles

8wGremlin
2018-03-15, 04:42 PM
What would be the impact of allowing any class that has access to a fighting style be able to pick ANY of the fighting styles.

Archery
Defense
Dueling
Great Weapon Fighting
Protection
Two-Weapon Fighting

Have I missed any?

Greywander
2018-03-15, 04:47 PM
I think the additional customization options would be welcomed by some people playing non-standard builds, like DEX pallys wanting archery or two-weapon fighting style, but the fighting styles available to each class are generally tailored to what's most useful for that class.

I have a hard time seeing how it might break anything, so I'd probably allow it. Then again, I'd probably be a very permissive DM in general.

DivisibleByZero
2018-03-15, 04:48 PM
Nothing would change.
They gave Ranger and Paladin the fighting styles that were most thematic with the iconic versions of those classes, while Fighter got them all.
Giving them all to everyone changes nothing.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-15, 05:06 PM
Since a Paladin wants to be in melee range because Smites can only be poured into melee weapon strikes, they wouldn't really have much use for the Archery style. And since their [X] Smite spells take a Bonus Action to cast, 2 weapon fighting style isn't overly useful to them either.

That said: allowing them to pick those styles would break nothing. Hell, an Archery Paladin that's allowed to Smite on ranged weapon attacks sounds like it could be a lot of fun.
Even if they kinda 'lose' the usual Stalwart Defender flavor if they stay back and plink at the enemy from afar..

Unoriginal
2018-03-15, 05:18 PM
You would make the Fighters a bit less relevant.

If there is one class that can represent a lot of different combatants, and you open the same possibility to everyone...

Kane0
2018-03-15, 05:22 PM
It wouldn't change much. Most classes that get FS have access to most of the list anyways, it just makes them all able to pick anything.

Would be nice to have some extra options in there though/ Things like like Polearms, Thrown weapons, Hand-and-a-half and high-movement

MrWesson22
2018-03-15, 05:31 PM
There is also tunnel if you use UA. And I allow any style to my players that get one. It doesn't hurt anything and allows for more creative and unusual builds.

sithlordnergal
2018-03-15, 05:46 PM
There'd be no change at all. As it is, if you want a fighting style you don't have access to, you can just dip 1 level to fighter to give fighting styles to every class in the game, and it isn't game breaking.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-03-15, 06:18 PM
Blade pact Warlocks would have one less reason for taking a Fighter level.

DivisibleByZero
2018-03-15, 06:24 PM
Blade pact Warlocks would have one less reason for taking a Fighter level.

Except Blade Pact doesn't get a fighting style?

GlenSmash!
2018-03-15, 06:34 PM
Yup, this wouldn't change a thing for me.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-03-16, 10:09 AM
Except Blade Pact doesn't get a fighting style?

Never mind, misread the OP.

Vogie
2018-03-16, 12:21 PM
If UA is included, that would include Tunnel Fighter, Close-Quarters Shooter, and Mariner.

Not OP enough to break anything, I would think.

DivisibleByZero
2018-03-16, 12:29 PM
If UA is included, that would include Tunnel Fighter, Close-Quarters Shooter, and Mariner.

Beyond the fact that tunnel fighter is broken in its own right, no it won't break anything.

nickl_2000
2018-03-16, 12:56 PM
Never mind, misread the OP.

How bad would it be to give Hex Blades an invocation that lets them choose a 1 (and only 1) fighting style?

Davrix
2018-03-16, 02:57 PM
It really woudln't affect things as most people have said. It be fun honestly IMO

N810
2018-03-16, 03:09 PM
Well if you are going pole arm there is a good chance you are trying to make a OP build anyway.

youtellatale
2018-03-16, 03:19 PM
Well if you are going pole arm there is a good chance you are trying to make a OP build anyway.

Maybe, or maybe they just wanted to play someone who sits behind the front liners and pokes at them from a (safe) distance. Full disclosure I've only played with two guys who played with a pole arm but I didn't see it as OP even if it has been effective.

N810
2018-03-16, 03:48 PM
Maybe, or maybe they just wanted to play someone who sits behind the front liners and pokes at them from a (safe) distance. Full disclosure I've only played with two guys who played with a pole arm but I didn't see it as OP even if it has been effective.

Did they also take: pole arm master, great weapon master, tunnel fighter, and sentinel ?

GlenSmash!
2018-03-16, 04:22 PM
Did they also take: pole arm master, great weapon master, tunnel fighter, and sentinel ?

Without tunnel fighter, that build is strong but not stupid.

With tunnel fighter on the other hand...

mephnick
2018-03-16, 04:28 PM
Who actually allows tunnel fighter?

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-16, 05:30 PM

I have a character idea that kinda wants the Close-Quarters Shooter fighting style. But every time I look at what it does, I worry that a DM is going to look at ot and feel that it gives too much bonuses for a single choice. No Disadvantage within 5 feet from Crossbow Expert, the ignore all but Full cover (within 30 feet of the target), *AND* a +1 to ranged Attack rolls?

It gives you some of the best parts of 2 feats, and half of the Archery style. I can't shake the feeling that it just gives a little too much bang for one's buck.

That said, it'd be a perfect fit for the Monster Hunter World imspired Arcane Archer I had in mind.

JakOfAllTirades
2018-03-17, 01:01 AM
How bad would it be to give Hex Blades an invocation that lets them choose a 1 (and only 1) fighting style?

Hmmm... I'm not sure if a fighting style alone would be worth an invocation slot.

Vogie
2018-03-17, 07:34 AM
Hmmm... I'm not sure if a fighting style alone would be worth an invocation slot.

Yeah, they're already invocation-heavy as it is. The Warlock Capstone isn't that exciting, doubly so for blade-locks, so a single fighter dip somewhere along the way isn't that deep of an issue.

Grod_The_Giant
2018-03-17, 08:18 AM
You would make the Fighters a bit less relevant.

If there is one class that can represent a lot of different combatants, and you open the same possibility to everyone...
Given that the Fighter, Ranger, and Paladin will still have vastly different fluff, mechanical abilities and playstyles, I'm inclined to disagree. Fighting Styles are a minor consideration in the greater scheme of things.