PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Monster Hunter Weapons, Dragon Beast race, and more (at a later date)!

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-16, 12:51 AM
Good day all.

I have tried my hand at some homebrew, and seeing as I can't possibly playtest it all myself.. I was hoping some of you were willing to help me out with this endeavor, and help me balance things a bit more. I tried to make things as balanced as much as I could, using existing mechanics or values where possible.

Without further ado: My homebrew projects!

Monster Hunter Weapons. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/SyCf0vTFM) I have added some of the weapons found in Monster Hunter World for use in D&D 5th edition.
Some might seem a bit strong or counter-intuitive, but I have tried to capture their essence of how they work in Monster Hunter combat the best I could, working within the mechanics of 5e's weapons.

Dragon Beast Race. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/Hk79aUOYz) This one I thought up in a strange mood, when I felt like it might be fun to play as the party's Warbeast. It's basically a PC version of the Beastmaster's animal companion. If you have a pair of players so inclined, you could consider letting them make one of these to play the animal companion to their friend's Beastmaster Ranger.

Homebrew Cantrips. (https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/HkevhZYKz) The first one is something I put in there from the guys over at MFoV. It's like a slightly better version of Primal Savagery, and it's one I hope to get access to with a character I'm playing for flavor reasons. The rest are fully homebrewed cantrips, and I'll add more if I think of an at-will ability that I'd love to use on a character myself.

I will update this post/thread with any and all homebrew projects that I have thought up, and worked out, in the future.

I look forward to any balancing advice you might be able to provide me on these little projects of mine.
And please, don't just comment "They're OP!" without giving good arguments as to why they are overpowered in your opinion.

Composer99
2018-03-16, 11:44 AM
The links go to the hombrewery editing pages. Probably not a problem for people on desktops or laptops, but it's hard for me on my phone to read the docs.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-17, 03:02 AM
The links go to the hombrewery editing pages. Probably not a problem for people on desktops or laptops, but it's hard for me on my phone to read the docs.

Thank you for pointing that out!
I thought I linked the shared PDF link.. That could've gone very badly!

Composer99
2018-03-17, 07:31 AM
Okay, so, first thoughts on the weapons:

1) The charge blade and insect glaive should probably be magic weapons. You can make them common items if that makes sense in the setting. Their abilities just seem bizarre (and too powerful) on non-magical weapons in the 5e context.

2) You should specify the modes of the charge blade early on, e.g. "longsword and shield, and one of either greataxe or greatsword".

3) Shouldn't the longsword and shield mode give you a bonus to AC?

4) You get the boon, not the kinsect, so perhaps make that more clear? (i.e. "you receive a boon" instead of "picks up ...")

5) The regain hp boon needs clarification. Does it trigger once, on the turn you deploy the kinsect, or once each turn during the normal duration of the boon? Do you regain hp from normal weapon attacks with the glaive, or just the kinsect attack? Can any target trigger the regain hp boon, or just the creature to which the kinsect is attached?

6) The heavy bowgun is fine. Since you specify that it's a modified heavy crossbow in its description, you don't really need to have "heavy crossbow" in its properties list.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-18, 03:02 AM
Okay, so, first thoughts on the weapons:

1) The charge blade and insect glaive should probably be magic weapons. You can make them common items if that makes sense in the setting. Their abilities just seem bizarre (and too powerful) on non-magical weapons in the 5e context.

2) You should specify the modes of the charge blade early on, e.g. "longsword and shield, and one of either greataxe or greatsword".

3) Shouldn't the longsword and shield mode give you a bonus to AC?

4) You get the boon, not the kinsect, so perhaps make that more clear? (i.e. "you receive a boon" instead of "picks up ...")

5) The regain hp boon needs clarification. Does it trigger once, on the turn you deploy the kinsect, or once each turn during the normal duration of the boon? Do you regain hp from normal weapon attacks with the glaive, or just the kinsect attack? Can any target trigger the regain hp boon, or just the creature to which the kinsect is attached?

6) The heavy bowgun is fine. Since you specify that it's a modified heavy crossbow in its description, you don't really need to have "heavy crossbow" in its properties list.

Thank you for the feedback!
I added the little clarifications on the effects for the Charge Blade and Insect Glaive. Nice catch on the 'Regain HP' feature! I hadn't realized that it could be read as a light Regeneration boon.

I also added a small section at the end for the DM, on how they could work the weapons into a campaign, and that they might consider them to be Common Magical Items if they want everybody to use them.
The reason I didn't make them 'magic' weapons to begin with is because then they would inherently bypass Resistance or Immunity to nonmagical attacks or damage. Which would've made them stronger, in my opinion. Having them simply be weapons with some non-magical quirks to their use balances that out a bit.

I hope the little section after the Weapons table helps out with how they might be implented into an existing campaign!

Composer99
2018-03-18, 11:29 AM
Homebrewery link to revised weapons doesn't seem to work?

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-18, 02:21 PM
Homebrewery link to revised weapons doesn't seem to work?

Indeed. For some odd reason, my editing version link doesn't work either. I'm unsure what the cause is. It might be some strange copyright thing where it got flagged for having 'Monster Hunter' in it.
I hope it comes back, or I might have to redo the whole thing..

Composer99
2018-03-18, 04:47 PM
I did a Google search for "homebrewery monster hunter weapons" and got a few links. (Not yours, unfortunately.) So probably not a take-down. Maybe the homebrewery changed the link on you?

Anyway, good luck reconstituting the weapons document, however you manage it.

---

Cantrips:

These mostly seem okay. Suggestions:

- I would change Dragon Claws so that the damage scales instead of granting more attacks. A character casting this as written gets more attacks than a fighter at 17th level, and every other martial class from 11th level on. Probably not what you want.
- Arcanopulse should probably call for a saving throw. It makes more sense to me that a line AoE is something that your victims have to dodge, rather than aiming it yourself.

-----

I got nothing for the dragon beast race.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-19, 11:23 AM
I did a Google search for "homebrewery monster hunter weapons" and got a few links. (Not yours, unfortunately.) So probably not a take-down. Maybe the homebrewery changed the link on you?

Anyway, good luck reconstituting the weapons document, however you manage it.

---

Cantrips:

These mostly seem okay. Suggestions:

- I would change Dragon Claws so that the damage scales instead of granting more attacks. A character casting this as written gets more attacks than a fighter at 17th level, and every other martial class from 11th level on. Probably not what you want.
- Arcanopulse should probably call for a saving throw. It makes more sense to me that a line AoE is something that your victims have to dodge, rather than aiming it yourself.

-----

I got nothing for the dragon beast race.

I borrowed Dragon Claws from the MFoV guys' work. Just copied it into the PDF and fiddled with the formatting a bit to make it look pretty.
If I make it just scale with damage, it just becomes 'Primal Savagery', except you can pick a damage type. Instead of being locked into Acid.
Which, to be honest, probably should've been how PS worked from the start.

As for Arcanopulse, I've based that on the skillshot of the same name used by Xerath from League of Legends. Hence the 'aiming' it yourself part.
The earliest draft had it being a save-or-suck effect, but I don't really like how they take away 'control' from you as the player.
All you can do upon casting one of those is pray that the DM rolls bad enough for you to land any damage.
If I make it a save-or-suck, it also steps on any Dragonborn's toes by doing what they do.. Except better, because you can do this all day long, without needing a nap and a sandwich between each use.

The 1st post has been updated with a re-made version of the Weapons PDF. Let's pray that it'll keep working like it's supposed to, this time.

Composer99
2018-03-19, 03:38 PM
I borrowed Dragon Claws from the MFoV guys' work. Just copied it into the PDF and fiddled with the formatting a bit to make it look pretty.
If I make it just scale with damage, it just becomes 'Primal Savagery', except you can pick a damage type. Instead of being locked into Acid.
Which, to be honest, probably should've been how PS worked from the start.

As for Arcanopulse, I've based that on the skillshot of the same name used by Xerath from League of Legends. Hence the 'aiming' it yourself part.
The earliest draft had it being a save-or-suck effect, but I don't really like how they take away 'control' from you as the player.
All you can do upon casting one of those is pray that the DM rolls bad enough for you to land any damage.
If I make it a save-or-suck, it also steps on any Dragonborn's toes by doing what they do.. Except better, because you can do this all day long, without needing a nap and a sandwich between each use.

The 1st post has been updated with a re-made version of the Weapons PDF. Let's pray that it'll keep working like it's supposed to, this time.

All right, now I see the intent with the cantrips, they should be fine. Weird, in the case of dragon claws, but fine.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-20, 11:43 AM
All right, now I see the intent with the cantrips, they should be fine. Weird, in the case of dragon claws, but fine.

Honestly, I might just tweak it to be like the old Primal Savagery, and dealing Slashing damage. Maybe shift it to 1d6 slashing and 1d6 elemental, for that dragon feel.
That'd make it more distinct, and give me a nice attack cantrip to mess with if I don't have my weapons handy.

Get it? Because the hands are then the weapons?

Davrix
2018-03-23, 06:31 PM
As for the kinsect weapon (personal favorite mind you in the game)

Insect Glaive. If you are proficient with a Quarterstaff, you are proficient with the Insect Glaive. As an Action on your turn, you can send out the Kinsect. If you do so, make a Ranged Weapon Attack against a target within 30 feet of you. On a hit, the Kinsect deals 1d6 Piercing damage, and holds a single boon. You must use your Bonus Action to recall the Kinsect, regardless of if it hit your target. You need not recall the Kinsect in the same turn that you have sent it out. A Kinsect is impervious to being targeted, or taking Area of Effect damage. Upon the Kinsect's return, you are granted a boon that lasts for 1 minute. Roll a d6 when the Kinsect is recalled to determine which boon you acquire.

Things I would change

Kinsect can be hit by AE though instead of dieing it simply automatically returns to the staff and cant be used again for one round. Also I really feel like your missing the idea behind the weapon of gathering buffs to augment yourself with. Not to mention the thrill of getting the tri buff from the weapon. This would definitely fall under a magic item but this is sort of how I would do it, at least with a first pass of an idea.

Personally I think I would have all these weapons be like an exotic weapon feat you can take but then I would make them more specialized and buffed slightly. But your welcome to keep it as a standard staff proficiently.

Feat- Exotic Weapon - Insect Glaive

- You gain proficiency in the insect Glaive

Insect Glaive - You must have the exotic weapon feat to be proficient in this weapon. The Insect Glaive functions as a specialized magical +1 staff weapon. It acts as a symbiotic host for the kinsect that bonds with it. As one of your attacks during your attack action on your turn, you can make a ranged attack with the kinsect. You may either specify the body part you wish to target using the following table or randomly roll from the monster part table listed below. On a hit the kinsect gathers a stack of essence from the monster and begins to hover. Whether you hit or miss, your kinsect can hover a number of rounds based on your Con modifier, minimum of 1 round before it automatically returns to your staff at the start of your turn, if returned in this way you cannot deploy your kinsect again until the start of your next turn. While hovering the Kinsect gets an additional +2 to hit with its attack. You can also use another attack during your attack action or a bonus action to return the kinsect to you early. The Kinsect cannot be targeted by spells or effects and is immune to all damage while attached to your staff or arm. If the Kinsect is hovering it cannot be targeted by spells or abilities but can be hit by Area affects. The Kinsects saving throws are the same as the character that wields its glaive. On a succesfull save it remains hovering, on a failed save it returns to the staff and cannot be used until the start of your next turn.

See the following table for the Insect Glaive's stats and essence collection buffs.

Insect Glaive - 1D6 bludgeoning damage - 1D8 Versatile / Finesse
-Bonus Action - You can hit with the opposite end of the weapon for 1D4+modifier damage
Kinsect - 1D4+modifier piercing damage - Special Thrown 30/60ft

Essence Boons
Red +1 damage to attack (this stacks with the weapons +1 for damage only)
White +5 movement speed
Orange +1 to your AC

When you gather an essence it lasts for 1 minute. If you manage to collect all three essence you gain the Boon of the Kinsect buff which replaces all other boons currently on you.

Boon of the Kinsect - You gain +2AC and your speed is increased by 10ft for the next minute. In addition you now have advantage on all attacks made with the Insect Glaive and you crit on a 19 or 20 with the weapon. While this boon is in effect you cannot benefit or collect any other essence boons from the Kinsect.

Monster Target table
Head - Disadvantage on attack - Red Essence
Torso - Disadvantage on attack - Orange Essence
Back - Disadvantage on attack - White Essence

Random monster target table - Roll a D6 on a hit to see where the Kinsect drew essence from.
1-2 - You hit the head - Red Essence
3-4 - You hit the Torso - Orange Essence
5-6 - You hit the back - White Essence

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-24, 01:33 PM
As for the kinsect weapon (personal favorite mind you in the game)

Insect Glaive. If you are proficient with a Quarterstaff, you are proficient with the Insect Glaive. As an Action on your turn, you can send out the Kinsect. If you do so, make a Ranged Weapon Attack against a target within 30 feet of you. On a hit, the Kinsect deals 1d6 Piercing damage, and holds a single boon. You must use your Bonus Action to recall the Kinsect, regardless of if it hit your target. You need not recall the Kinsect in the same turn that you have sent it out. A Kinsect is impervious to being targeted, or taking Area of Effect damage. Upon the Kinsect's return, you are granted a boon that lasts for 1 minute. Roll a d6 when the Kinsect is recalled to determine which boon you acquire.

Things I would change

Kinsect can be hit by AE though instead of dieing it simply automatically returns to the staff and cant be used again for one round. Also I really feel like your missing the idea behind the weapon of gathering buffs to augment yourself with. Not to mention the thrill of getting the tri buff from the weapon. This would definitely fall under a magic item but this is sort of how I would do it, at least with a first pass of an idea.

Personally I think I would have all these weapons be like an exotic weapon feat you can take but then I would make them more specialized and buffed slightly. But your welcome to keep it as a standard staff proficiently.

Feat- Exotic Weapon - Insect Glaive

- You gain proficiency in the insect Glaive

Insect Glaive - You must have the exotic weapon feat to be proficient in this weapon. The Insect Glaive functions as a specialized magical +1 staff weapon. It acts as a symbiotic host for the kinsect that bonds with it. As one of your attacks during your attack action on your turn, you can make a ranged attack with the kinsect. You may either specify the body part you wish to target using the following table or randomly roll from the monster part table listed below. On a hit the kinsect gathers a stack of essence from the monster and begins to hover. Whether you hit or miss, your kinsect can hover a number of rounds based on your Con modifier, minimum of 1 round before it automatically returns to your staff at the start of your turn, if returned in this way you cannot deploy your kinsect again until the start of your next turn. While hovering the Kinsect gets an additional +2 to hit with its attack. You can also use another attack during your attack action or a bonus action to return the kinsect to you early. The Kinsect cannot be targeted by spells or effects and is immune to all damage while attached to your staff or arm. If the Kinsect is hovering it cannot be targeted by spells or abilities but can be hit by Area affects. The Kinsects saving throws are the same as the character that wields its glaive. On a succesfull save it remains hovering, on a failed save it returns to the staff and cannot be used until the start of your next turn.

See the following table for the Insect Glaive's stats and essence collection buffs.

Insect Glaive - 1D6 bludgeoning damage - 1D8 Versatile / Finesse
-Bonus Action - You can hit with the opposite end of the weapon for 1D4+modifier damage
Kinsect - 1D4+modifier piercing damage - Special Thrown 30/60ft

Essence Boons
Red +1 damage to attack (this stacks with the weapons +1 for damage only)
White +5 movement speed
Orange +1 to your AC

When you gather an essence it lasts for 1 minute. If you manage to collect all three essence you gain the Boon of the Kinsect buff which replaces all other boons currently on you.

Boon of the Kinsect - You gain +2AC and your speed is increased by 10ft for the next minute. In addition you now have advantage on all attacks made with the Insect Glaive and you crit on a 19 or 20 with the weapon. While this boon is in effect you cannot benefit or collect any other essence boons from the Kinsect.

Monster Target table
Head - Disadvantage on attack - Red Essence
Torso - Disadvantage on attack - Orange Essence
Back - Disadvantage on attack - White Essence

Random monster target table - Roll a D6 on a hit to see where the Kinsect drew essence from.
1-2 - You hit the head - Red Essence
3-4 - You hit the Torso - Orange Essence
5-6 - You hit the back - White Essence

While I appreciate the idea.. Putting all that into the PDF would be an absolute NIGHTMARE at best. And it'd add a lot of uncessessary complexity to the weapon.
I'm just going for a base feel. You're more than welcome to use what you've made for the Insect Glaive in your home games. I'm just providing a few stepping stones for an enterprising DM and/or player to work with on making their character a bit more Monster Hunt-y.
I also haven't used the Insect Glaive in MH World at all, so all I have to go on are how I feel the weapon works. Honestly, if I wasn't worried about needing a separate project just to outline everything about the weapon so it could function properly, and everything was explained clearly.. I would've found a way to work in the vaulting mechanic as well.

The reason I didn't account for the different areas and made it all a simple roll of a d6, is that it would be another layer of mechanics on top of it.

The one you've laid out in your post would make for a great magic weapon, though. It's own card and everything.
I just aimed to provide a relatively simple chassis that any player could pick up with their DM's approval. And then the DM can work on how to work in upgraded/magical versions into their world.

Davrix
2018-03-24, 04:34 PM
While I appreciate the idea.. Putting all that into the PDF would be an absolute NIGHTMARE at best. And it'd add a lot of uncessessary complexity to the weapon.
I'm just going for a base feel. You're more than welcome to use what you've made for the Insect Glaive in your home games. I'm just providing a few stepping stones for an enterprising DM and/or player to work with on making their character a bit more Monster Hunt-y.
I also haven't used the Insect Glaive in MH World at all, so all I have to go on are how I feel the weapon works. Honestly, if I wasn't worried about needing a separate project just to outline everything about the weapon so it could function properly, and everything was explained clearly.. I would've found a way to work in the vaulting mechanic as well.

The reason I didn't account for the different areas and made it all a simple roll of a d6, is that it would be another layer of mechanics on top of it.

The one you've laid out in your post would make for a great magic weapon, though. It's own card and everything.
I just aimed to provide a relatively simple chassis that any player could pick up with their DM's approval. And then the DM can work on how to work in upgraded/magical versions into their world.

I mean thats fair and I understand I just sort of ran with it as I use the Insect weapon all the time in the game and the biggest draw of it is using it to collect the color buffs and getting the tri buff. That said Ive been tinkering with the idea a little more and i think the best idea to really get the use out of that monster hunter feel is to make a class around it with the hunting weapons being the sub class choices. That way you can layer on the powers as you grow in levels. And you can scale down the complexity to increase gradually over time.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-25, 02:57 AM
I mean thats fair and I understand I just sort of ran with it as I use the Insect weapon all the time in the game and the biggest draw of it is using it to collect the color buffs and getting the tri buff. That said Ive been tinkering with the idea a little more and i think the best idea to really get the use out of that monster hunter feel is to make a class around it with the hunting weapons being the sub class choices. That way you can layer on the powers as you grow in levels. And you can scale down the complexity to increase gradually over time.

That sounds like it'd be a hellish job to do. Assuming you want to make an archetype for all 14 weapons, anyway.
I wish you the best of luck on working all of that out, and I hope to see how it turned out if/when you get around to sharing it with the rest of us!