PDA

View Full Version : Slaying Arrows

Angelalex242
2018-03-16, 03:28 AM
Arrows of Dragon Slaying seem to be fairly useless. The fact they require DC 17 Con Saves...the dragon laughs at that to begin with, and then can choose to succeed 3 times a day.

...what good are arrows of dragon slaying?

Unoriginal
2018-03-16, 03:46 AM
Arrows of Dragon Slaying seem to be fairly useless. The fact they require DC 17 Con Saves...the dragon laughs at that to begin with, and then can choose to succeed 3 times a day.

Most dragons aren't the adult behemoths of legends.

If someone is known as a dragon slayer, they most likely killed a Young one.

Arrows of Dragon Slaying are mostly for those.

Furthermore, even Adult Dragons can fail a DC 17 check, and it's one less of their legendary saves if they do. So it can be worth it.

Als, surprisingly enough, most consumable aren't that great against dragons and legendary monsters. Do you know any magic item of the same rarity that is better to fight dragons with?

ImproperJustice
2018-03-16, 07:03 AM
When combined with a successful Hex or Bestow Curse you could really be on to something.

Eldritch Knight:
Round 1: attack volley triggers Eldritch strike
Round 2: Cast bestow curse (Con), then action surge and fire volley of dragon slaying arrows.

Kuulvheysoon
2018-03-16, 07:16 AM
When combined with a successful Hex or Bestow Curse you could really be on to something.

Eldritch Knight:
Round 1: attack volley triggers Eldritch strike
Round 2: Cast bestow curse (Con), then action surge and fire volley of dragon slaying arrows.

Hex only grants disadvantage on ability checks, not saving throws.

The_Jette
2018-03-16, 08:34 AM
An Arrow of Slaying just does extra damage. It's not even a one shot kill, any more. Seems more like a bane arrow than an arrow of "slaying" to me. I mean, I wouldn't turn them down if I were offered a bunch before I went to fight a dragon. But, one of them really isn't going to turn the tide of battle like it would if it were a Save or Die ability.

Unoriginal
2018-03-16, 08:45 AM
An Arrow of Slaying just does extra damage. It's not even a one shot kill, any more. Seems more like a bane arrow than an arrow of "slaying" to me. I mean, I wouldn't turn them down if I were offered a bunch before I went to fight a dragon. But, one of them really isn't going to turn the tide of battle like it would if it were a Save or Die ability.

There is basically no Save or Die in 5e.

Another thing you're overlooking: the arrows still deal extra damage even if the save is successful.

Even if a Young Red Dragon passes all their saves, one of those arrows is enough to cut 10% of their HPs in one shot.

Also keep in mind Arrows of Slaying are for any specific kind of creature, not just dragons.

GlenSmash!
2018-03-16, 11:04 AM
I remember destroying a Young dragon with Arrows of dragon slaying. It was lots of fun.

Against an older dragon they would have been less useful sure.

Angelalex242
2018-03-16, 12:32 PM
Well, I'm also from the campaign where it's a junior level Dragonlance campaign, we often fight from a Silver Dragon's back, and the DM has Ancient Chromatic Dragons at literally every single place we visit. And we're expected to kill them. Except for that green dragon that surrendered, see previous thread.

So trying to get Arrows of Dragonslaying to function properly is...problematic for our archers.

So it's a somewhat modified Rise of Tiamat adventure.

There was also the Ancient Red that hates the Cult of the Dragon and agreed to attack them for a fee of 30k Gold. And sold us the Blue Dragon Mask (The real one!) for 10k Gold.

Unoriginal
2018-03-16, 12:36 PM
Well, I'm also from the campaign where it's a junior level Dragonlance campaign, we often fight from a Silver Dragon's back, and the DM has Ancient Chromatic Dragons at literally every single place we visit. And we're expected to kill them. Except for that green dragon that surrendered, see previous thread.

So trying to get Arrows of Dragonslaying to function properly is...problematic for our archers.

So it's a somewhat modified Rise of Tiamat adventure.

Well yes, in those conditions the Arrows look less impressive. Normal fish in a gigantic pond, and all that.