PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Cleric Build - PEACH

Arael666
2018-03-16, 06:50 AM
Hi there playground, would really like your imput on this.

I'm gonna play in a gestalt game with some friends and our DM told us to "bring the big guns", now that got us kind of afraid cause our DM can be very... deadly, for the lack of a better word. Not that he is unfair or throws inflated CR monsters at us, very much the contrary, he is very just and very very clever.

As an example, our lvl 8 six man party almost got TPK'd against less than a dozen NPC's, of wich most were lvl 1 fighters. He did that by taking advantage of the terrain, kiting and tricking the party to split mid combat.

Anyway, enough praising.

Any 3.5 book is alowed, except serpent kingdoms; 3.0 content and dragon magazine mostly allowed but have to check with him first; third party and homebrew on case by case.
LA and racial HD occupy both "sides".
Anything TO is forbiden. If it has the word "infinite" or "arbitrary" it's TO.
He already said no on Beastland Ferocity + Delay Death, I can persist one but not both.
Touch spells are not persistable, but I can use occular spell to circunvent that (don't remember any good spells that would justificate trading an extra turning for the occular spell)
He ruled that even though bone knight prevents me from turning undead, I still have the class feature and will be able to use to persist (so, 3 turning pools)
Non stackable nightsticks (only one allowed, but it acts as if it gave the extra turning feat)
Half minotaur not allowed

My Stats are:
STR:16
DEX:14
CON:18
INT: 10
WIS:18
CHA:08

Going with a Lesser Ice Para-Genasi and slapping Dragonborn on top of it, so after modifiers my stats should be:
STR:16
DEX:10
CON:24
INT: 10
WIS:20
CHA:06

I Only got as far as lvl 16, don't think well survive that far, but it's good to plan ahead.
My plan is to Melee, but I'm dedicating my feat selection to qualify for prestige classes and persisting spells, so I don't think I'll be able to do any fancy stuff other than hitting hard, but we will have a wizard for the fancy stuff.

Level
Side A
Side B
Feats
Class features
ACF's

C. Cleric 1
Paladin 1
Extend Spell [Domain]; Weapon Focus [Domain]; Persist Spell [Flaw]; Divine Metamagic [Flaw]; Heretic of the Faith
Domains: Planning, War, Spell
Aura of good, detect undead, smite evil 1/day

Spontaneous Domain Casting (PHB 2, p 37); Destroy Undead (ECR, p 206), Detect Undead (EtCR 208)

C. Cleric 2
Paladin 2
-
Divine grace, lay on hands
-

C. Cleric 3
Warblade 1
Serenity
Battle clarity (Reflex saves), weapon aptitude
-

Church Inquisitor 1
Warblade 2
-
Uncanny dodge, Detect evil, Inquisition domain
-

C. Cleric 4
Bone Knight 1
-
Bonecraft armor, paladin conversion, rebuke undead
-

Warblade 3
Bone Knight 2
True Believer
Bone march, summon skeletal steed
-

C. Cleric 6
Pious Templar 1
-
Mettle
-

Sacred Exorcist 1
Warblade 4
-
Exorcism, turn undead; Battle ardor (critical confirmation
-

Warblade 5
Bone Knight 3
Extra Turning; Improved Initiative
Master of the white banner
-

Warblade 6
Bone Knight 4
-
Improved bonecraft armor; Improved uncanny dodge
-

Warblade 7
Bone Knight 5
-
Battle cunning (damage); Fill the ranks 1/day
-

Warblade 8
Bone Knight 6
Extra Turning
Bonecraft weapon
-

Warblade 9
Bone Knight 7
Combat Reflexes
Bonus feat; Improved bonecraft armor
-

Warblade 10
Bone Knight 8
-
Exoskeleton of undeath
-

Warblade 11
Bone Knight 9
Extra Turning
Battle skill (opposed checks); Death strike 1/day
-

Warblade 12
Bone Knight 10
-
Improved bonecraft armor
-

So, where exactly am I being stupid?

Cosi
2018-03-16, 08:29 AM
Overall, this doesn't seem terrible, as you're (I assume) getting full casting. That said, I think you're making some mistakes in this build.

Primarily, Cleric/Warblade seems like a weak combo. With divine power you already get full BAB, and Cleric has better saves than Warblade. As a result, the only real chassis upgrade you get is slightly more HP.

I would recommend either committing to the Cleric side of things (probably going with a build like Cleric/Dwoemerkeeper//Dread Necromancer) or committing to the Warblade side of things (which to my mind would mean looking for some way to get Persistent body outside body ASAP).

Secondarily, that also applies to Bone Knight.

Arael666
2018-03-16, 09:07 AM
Overall, this doesn't seem terrible, as you're (I assume) getting full casting. That said, I think you're making some mistakes in this build.

Primarily, Cleric/Warblade seems like a weak combo. With divine power you already get full BAB, and Cleric has better saves than Warblade. As a result, the only real chassis upgrade you get is slightly more HP.

I would recommend either committing to the Cleric side of things (probably going with a build like Cleric/Dwoemerkeeper//Dread Necromancer) or committing to the Warblade side of things (which to my mind would mean looking for some way to get Persistent body outside body ASAP).

Secondarily, that also applies to Bone Knight.

My main objective here is to be a good melee without losing a single caster level, so I don't see focusing more on the cleric side of things would help that. The other side is mainly for the passive benefits.

I chose the warblade because I wanted maneuver progression, I passed on the swordsage because I intend on wearing heavy armor and crusader just doest have great disciplines for damage dealing. The bone knight is there mostly for the great set of immunities, but I can trade all that. My rationale here is "I'm still a persist cleric, but with high saves, mettle, passive immunities and maneuver progression", I really don't want to change the persist cleric part, but anything else is game.