PDA

View Full Version : Optimization How long to keep Hex

Darkbru
2018-03-16, 12:13 PM
As a newer player (haven't played since early 2000's 3e) I'm trying my hand at a warlock. I went fiend and tome. I'm wondering how long to hold onto Hex as a spell since it doesn't seem to scale very well. Sure you can concentrate on the spell longer, but it still only adds 1d6 to the damage. Its been useful for the first two levels while playing Adventure League, but I just hit level 3 and have access to 2nd level spells now. For some background I am playing as a vanilla Tiefling so I also get access to a free Hellish Rebuke, which was my second spell for the first two levels. I'm going for a pure blaster so any and all suggestions for spells (as well as the 3 bonus cantrips) to pack would be appreciated.

Elric VIII
2018-03-16, 12:32 PM
I'd get rid of it. But try to get 1st level scrolls of Hex. It lasts for 1 hour and could come in handy.

Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?485736-Selling-your-Soul-at-a-Premium-The-Warlock-s-Guide-to-Power) is a good warlock guide.

clash
2018-03-16, 12:48 PM
1 level of Bard or Sorcerer for first level spell slots is great if you want to keep using hex your entire career. It doesnt scale with spell slots well but it scales with Eldritch blast nicely as your character level goes up, going from 1d6 per turn to 4d6 per turn.

Ventruenox
2018-03-16, 12:59 PM
There's more than just the damage though. Forcing disadvantage on enemy skill checks merits value throughout the campaign. Casting it with your precious few slots at higher levels, though? The competition for slots and concentration makes it hard to justify. Elric makes a great suggestion about the scrolls. For 25gp and 1 day each, start making a stockpile of those scrolls now.

Darkbru
2018-03-16, 02:16 PM
There's more than just the damage though. Forcing disadvantage on enemy skill checks merits value throughout the campaign. Casting it with your precious few slots at higher levels, though? The competition for slots and concentration makes it hard to justify. Elric makes a great suggestion about the scrolls. For 25gp and 1 day each, start making a stockpile of those scrolls now.

Honestly had no idea that I could buy scrolls for that spell. You also bring up a good point about the disadvantage on skill checks. But as I said, it sucks to have to cast Hex as a second level spell slot. I'll have to check with the DM to see if buying scrolls of Hex is something that I can do at the beginning of our next session.

Vorpalchicken
2018-03-16, 03:13 PM
One possibly good reason to keep it is its synergy with Scorching Ray. You would have to have cast Hex on a previous round- maybe even a previous combat - and then use a bonus action to move it to a juicy big bad target.

Then for each ray that hits you are doing 3d6 or 6d6 with a critical. Try to convince your cleric to cast hold person first. "I don't see why a servant of the Dark One and a devotee of Pelor can't be pals!"