PDA

View Full Version : Persistent area effects vs Status Immunities

sightlessrealit
2018-03-16, 06:00 PM
So this to me is a bit mind boggling so how does this work.

Say someone cast Silence and a creature who cannot be deafened walks into that area. Can they still hear?

Likewise say someone Cast Darkness or Fog Cloud & a creature who cannot be Blinded walks in. Can they still see?

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-16, 06:18 PM
I'm afb but I'm pretty sure the wording of the effect says you are effectively blinded not that you are blinded so the immunity shouldn't trigger. Unsure on the silence piece as I haven't looked at those rules in depth.

Edit: silence says that no sound can be created or pass through. So while they might not be deaf they still couldn't hear anything as there are no sound waves propagating through the air.

Tiadoppler
2018-03-16, 06:21 PM
Say someone cast Silence and a creature who cannot be deafened walks into that area. Can they still hear?

Yes, they can still hear, but there's nothing to hear. Their ears work fine, but there's no sound for them to listen to in that area.

Likewise say someone Cast Darkness or Fog Cloud & a creature who cannot be Blinded walks in. Can they still see?

They can still see, but all they can see is fog/darkness. Truesight/Blindsight/Darkvision/other exotic sight types may have different results, but simply "can't be blinded" doesn't allow you to see through fog.

Fayd
2018-03-16, 06:26 PM
As a DM, I'd say it depends on the logic. With silence, they can indeed still hear, but no sound can exist in the zone affected by silence, so they still aren't hearing anything. Depending on the creature and the reason for their immunity they may or may not still suffer any related penalties. With Darkness and Fog Cloud I don't think they inflict blind, they just make it hard to see.