PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Spell Scrolls

Darkbru
2018-03-17, 11:40 AM
So with some input from others on this forum I realized that I can cast Hex from a spell scroll, freeing up precious Warlock spellslots. So my follow up questions are this:
Is there a way I can craft my own scrolls?
Will this option save me gp vs having to buy them?
If I need to have proficiency in a set of tools; is there a way I can get proficient in these tools if my background doesn't provide that proficiency for me?

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-17, 11:42 AM
Ask your DM to look at pg. 284 and pg. 135 of the DMG, then decide how they want to handle it. Crafting magic items will vary from table-to-table. Also, look at XGTE pg. 133.

Unoriginal
2018-03-17, 11:45 AM
So with some input from others on this forum I realized that I can cast Hex from a spell scroll, freeing up precious Warlock spellslots. So my follow up questions are this:
Is there a way I can craft my own scrolls?
Will this option save me gp vs having to buy them?
If I need to have proficiency in a set of tools; is there a way I can get proficient in these tools if my background doesn't provide that proficiency for me?

Do your DM uses the rules for scribing scrolls that are in the Xanathar's?

In any case it's going to eat up a lot of downtime and gold for a marginal benefit.

Darkbru
2018-03-17, 05:04 PM
Do your DM uses the rules for scribing scrolls that are in the Xanathar's?

In any case it's going to eat up a lot of downtime and gold for a marginal benefit.

The reason I wanted to crate the scrolls is because it doesn’t make sense to actually cast hex above a first level spell. So I figured if I create a bunch of scrolls I can cart those around and use them since hex can interact well with a good portion of my spells and cantrips. But if the cost of making them is the same as buying them I’ll just buy em

Quoxis
2018-03-18, 03:29 PM
The reason I wanted to crate the scrolls is because it doesn’t make sense to actually cast hex above a first level spell. So I figured if I create a bunch of scrolls I can cart those around and use them since hex can interact well with a good portion of my spells and cantrips. But if the cost of making them is the same as buying them I’ll just buy em

...if you find a vendor, which - depending on the setting - could be a problem, as realistically only warlocks can scribe them.
You could just dip into another caster class for a level or two, that‘ll give you a few first level slots (which don’t reset on a short rest, but hey, you’re not gonna cast hex 42 times per day anyway) and a bit of versatility with low level spells etc.

pdegan2814
2018-03-18, 07:32 PM

I believe the benefit is you cast it in your first fight in the morning, and if you can maintain concentration on it all day, you get the spell slot back on your next short rest. Granted, that means not using any other concentration spells the rest of the day.