PDA

View Full Version : Character Building: Spore Druid (Mushroom Wizard)

pygmybatrider
2018-03-17, 04:49 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for some input & CC on this build as I am a little confused/unsure about certain aspects.

The gist is: a human mycologist, devoted to studying (and farming, and spreading, and spruiking products related to) mushrooms.

Variant Human, 8/14/16/10/16/8 stats.

Starting at level 7 so use the ASI to bump Wis.

Originally I'd gone with a Land Druid from the Underdark circle - and that's still an option, but then I remembered the Circle of Spores UA. I'd give up a few cool spells and short rest slot recovery to gain some thematic abilities and melee capability.

With Symbiotic Entity, Shillelagh, Halo of Spores, and the LMoP spider staff (DM has cleared this already), he'd be doing 1d8+2d6 poison+Wis mod+12 damage in melee - after the initial setup round where it's just activate Symbiotic Entity/Shillelagh and do 12 damage from the Halo (boooo). It's not something he can do every fight as he only has limited wild shapes, and it's probably not something I'd want to do every fight, but the thought of a musty old man going bananas with a magic stick and a shield made out of a mushroom cap makes me really happy - as does the thought of the zombies coming back to life covered in mushroom pods.

He'd still do a lot of mid/backfield battlefield control with things like Plant Growth etc and some minionmancy with Giant Insect and the Conjure spells.

I guess what I'm asking you guys is to help me decide if this cool-but-less-than-stellar melee capability pales in comparison with what an Underdark Land druid can do in terms of spell slinging and support, because I think the central character and RP aspects would still be fun either way.

BONUS THOUGHT: is it worth picking up PAM as my VHuman feat at level 1 for an extra 1d4+2d6 poison+Wis mod damage in melee after Round 1 setup? This seems like it'd be getting into no-more-spider-staff territory with my DM...Or stick with something like Warcaster (my original pick) or Resilient (Con) and bump int up to 12?

The Cats
2018-03-17, 05:34 PM
Land druid is probably more optimal.

Spore druid is probably more thematic.

I say go spore unless you're playing with a bunch of optimizers and think it's important to really keep up in combat.

Colbymunro
2018-03-18, 01:45 AM
I've been playing a myconid spore druid for about a month now and I've got to say at low levels they are absolutely brutal melee monsters when combined with TWF scimitars. However, I'm aware that as they increase in level they aren't going to scale as well as other class options. I really love the flavor of the character as well, and sometimes that's what you've got to go with over optimization. Ultimately I say a few sacrficies in the name of a character you love to role play is going to make the experience better for everyone at the table.

Reminders:
- You are effectively taken out of combat if you are up against a monster who is resistant/immune to poison and you dont have a decent damaging spell option. I reccommend flaming sphere as you can just sort of slam it into creatures and force them to take opportunity attacks while you take the help option to give allies advantage.
- Use the standard wildshape feature when the terrain calls for it. The impulse is to hold on to your wildshapes for symbiotic entity, but sometimes its better not to. You can still use your halo of spores while you do this.
- you are gonna get a lot of your power at your level from building an army of undead which is a constant spell tax. I haven't personally experienced this yet but keep that in mind.

juliediane
2021-07-31, 07:14 PM
Hi guys,

Looking for some input & CC on this build as I am a little confused/unsure about certain aspects.

The gist is: a human mycologist, devoted to studying (and farming, and spreading, and spruiking products related to) mushrooms.

Variant Human, 8/14/16/10/16/8 stats.

Starting at level 7 so use the ASI to bump Wis.

Originally I'd gone with a Land Druid from the Underdark circle - and that's still an option, but then I remembered the Circle of Spores UA. I'd give up a few cool spells and short rest slot recovery to gain some thematic abilities and melee capability.

With Symbiotic Entity, Shillelagh, Halo of Spores, and the LMoP spider staff (DM has cleared this already), he'd be doing 1d8+2d6 poison+Wis mod+12 damage in melee - after the initial setup round where it's just activate Symbiotic Entity/Shillelagh and do 12 damage from the Halo (boooo). It's not something he can do every fight as he only has limited wild shapes, and it's probably not something I'd want to do every fight, but the thought of a musty old man going bananas with a magic stick and a shield made out of a mushroom cap makes me really happy - as does the thought of the zombies coming back to life covered in mushroom pods.

He'd still do a lot of mid/backfield battlefield control with things like Plant Growth etc and some minionmancy with Giant Insect and the Conjure spells.

I guess what I'm asking you guys is to help me decide if this cool-but-less-than-stellar melee capability pales in comparison with what an Underdark Land druid can do in terms of spell slinging and support, because I think the central character and RP aspects would still be fun either way.

BONUS THOUGHT: is it worth picking up PAM as my VHuman feat at level 1 for an extra 1d4+2d6 poison+Wis mod damage in melee after Round 1 setup? This seems like it'd be getting into no-more-spider-staff territory with my DM...Or stick with something like Warcaster (my original pick) or Resilient (Con) and bump int up to 12?
I'm glad you're enjoying it - I'm going to be running one in my next campaign, but I am a bit nervous about the changes they made from the UA.

carkl3000
2021-07-31, 08:13 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying it - I'm going to be running one in my next campaign, but I am a bit nervous about the changes they made from the UA.

I just got the okay from my DM to use the homebrew version of the subclass discussed in: https://youtu.be/Aa-FzjTtyI0

I think it's a really nice middle ground between the UA and the Tasha's versions.

Symbiotic entity no longer relies on having thp remaining. It just lasts for 10 or until you fall unconscious.

Halo of Spores damage doesn't require a saving throw to do chip damage.

Fungal infestation can be triggered without using reaction if you kill the creature with halo of spores, so it gets rid of that action economy conflict. But in contrast with the UA, it's limited to wisdom modifier times per long rest.

I think it's good.