PDA

View Full Version : A few questions about Magic Item Creation 3.5

Catarang
2018-03-17, 06:04 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions about Magic Item Creation in 3.5, as follows:

1. Are there any rules for combining magic items, either during or after creation, and what splat are they in? I need to be able to combine a wondrous item with a magic weapon.

2. Are there rules for converting magic item creation costs from 3.5 (with exp cost) to Pathfinder (without exp cost). 3rd Party is fine.

3. Are there rules for creating cursed items in 3.5 and what does making a weapon cursed do to it's price/abilities? Is there a way to make a cursed weapon that doesn't make it harder to hit someone, such as having a cursed weapon that isn't something like a -1 cursed longsword.

Thanks for any and all responses :smallsmile:

Goaty14
2018-03-17, 06:40 PM
2. Are there rules for converting magic item creation costs from 3.5 (with exp cost) to Pathfinder (without exp cost). 3rd Party is fine

Somewhere I read that you can replace gold to XP on a 5:1 ratio. Unearthed Arcana also has a "craft point" system, and PHBII has a 1st level spell that siphons XP for crafting (so you don't pay it yourself).

Oracle71
2018-03-17, 06:44 PM
as far as cursed items, the "standard" curse would be to convert the "+" to a "-," but that need not be the only curse you can use. Way back in the AD&D days, I ran across a +2 Berserker sword, which was still a +2 weapon, but it forced you to attack the closest character, even if it was one of your own party.

For combining items, the general suggestion was to combine the cost for the individual effects, but add an additional 50% to the cost of the secondary effect. Of course with pricing all things magic, it is completely up to DM fiat to gauge the actual value of the combined item. Don't remember where that general rule was (maybe MIC?).

Venger
2018-03-17, 07:53 PM
Hello everyone!

I have a few questions about Magic Item Creation in 3.5, as follows:

1. Are there any rules for combining magic items, either during or after creation, and what splat are they in? I need to be able to combine a wondrous item with a magic weapon.

2. Are there rules for converting magic item creation costs from 3.5 (with exp cost) to Pathfinder (without exp cost). 3rd Party is fine.

3. Are there rules for creating cursed items in 3.5 and what does making a weapon cursed do to it's price/abilities? Is there a way to make a cursed weapon that doesn't make it harder to hit someone, such as having a cursed weapon that isn't something like a -1 cursed longsword.

Thanks for any and all responses :smallsmile:
1. yes, magic item compendium p234.
2. yes, as mentioned upthread, for every 1xp you pay, to convert to pathfinder, pay 5gp for each xp
3. yes, there are, they are made like normal items as detailed on the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm)

Catarang
2018-03-19, 05:53 AM
3. yes, there are, they are made like normal items as detailed on the srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/cursedItems.htm)

But are there rules for how adding a curse (such as a requirement) effects the estimated price of an object found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)?

Also I have found multiple mentions of getting a discount for limiting who can use a magic item, by either class or race, but can’t find the rules for this.

Mordaedil
2018-03-19, 05:59 AM
But are there no rules for how adding a curse (such as a requirement) effects the estimated price of an object found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm)?

You need to cast bestow curse?

Catarang
2018-03-19, 06:07 AM
You need to cast bestow curse?

It has a target of “Creature Touched”, I’m not sure how casting that helps.

Mordaedil
2018-03-19, 06:24 AM
It has a target of “Creature Touched”, I’m not sure how casting that helps.

In the process of crafting.

Catarang
2018-03-19, 06:35 AM
In the process of crafting.

Could you be more specific about how that would work mechanically?

Venger
2018-03-19, 07:56 AM
Could you be more specific about how that would work mechanically?

Magic items can have effects other than just those of the spells that went into creating them. the eyes of the eagle don't just let you cast clairaudience/clairvoyance, for example, they have a different effect.

heavyfuel
2018-03-19, 08:01 AM
and PHBII has a 1st level spell that siphons XP for crafting (so you don't pay it yourself).

I couldn't find this spell. Do you know any other details?

Catarang
2018-03-19, 08:12 AM
Magic items can have effects other than just those of the spells that went into creating them. the eyes of the eagle don't just let you cast clairaudience/clairvoyance, for example, they have a different effect.

This is true, but I’m in need of the rules text that explains how to add curses to existing magic items or at creation and what that does to the cost of making those magic items.

Venger
2018-03-19, 10:20 AM
I couldn't find this spell. Do you know any other details?

there is no such spell. artificer has a similar ability, though.

Troacctid
2018-03-19, 07:51 PM
there is no such spell. artificer has a similar ability, though.
Sure there is, it's in a web enhancement. http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060526a

This is true, but I’m in need of the rules text that explains how to add curses to existing magic items or at creation and what that does to the cost of making those magic items.
Pathfinder has more detailed rules for it than 3.5e.