PDA

View Full Version : AMiH Side Quest: Gabriel Toscobble

inexorabletruth
2018-03-17, 06:18 PM
This is the IC thread for any split quest adventures Gabriel Tosscobble will have throughout the game. I will link to this thread in a PM in instances where your journey side tracks from the main group, which I find is better than saying "nope" and forcing you to stay with the group, and less awkward than spoilering your particular events in with the main thread.

For the purposes of thread maintenance please keep any OOC content in spoilers.

As far as pacing is concerned, side quests yield to the pace of the main thread. If night falls on the main thread, while you're in the middle of something that happens in the middle of the day, things will fast forward to nightfall. Also, if the party starts to leave town or go on a quest, I will ask you to go ahead and wrap things up and rejoin the group, so that you don't miss out on the action. If the group leaves town, I will fast forward the events in this thread so that you don't get left behind. It's an imperfect system, but so far I haven't found a better idea.

inexorabletruth
2018-03-17, 06:26 PM
To Gabriel's delight he made the acquaintance of the cabal of Adepts in Highwyn, who allowed him to stay and rest in their garden at the easy cost of some of his druidic magic to support their efforts. After a restful night curled against their boon companion's flank, Gabriel rises and heads directly to the office of Akemi - the nominal leader of the watch and a town hero. Gaining entrance through their natural charm and a certain rapport with the Highwyn City Watch, they make quick pleasantries before coming to the point.

"Akemi, I come both for my own sake and for the interests of the Druids of Hepmonaland. This war that threatens us all is a cancer on the land, an impulse of hatred and intolerance that represents a perversion of the natural order and state of goodly hearts. I ask little of you, save that any able-bodied persons you might be considering as prisoners or indebted workers to be released to my care,
in the hopes of pushing back against this war-front. In the midst of war, understanding and healing cannot occur... and the blight on magic that exists in this land cannot be discovered or resolved while we struggle for survival between ourselves."

Akemi seems at first shocked, then amused by your demands. She leans over to her advisor and whispers. You can barely make out the sounds. The advisor nods when she is done speaking and then speaks.

"Mistress Akemi wishes to know why you feel you have the authority to take stewardship over the prisoners of Highwyn. Do the druids of your order feel we are not up to the task, or are you just another adventurer, puffed up with arrogance and a false sense of entitlement?" The advisor inquires caustically.

Mistress Akemi raises an eyebrow while she waits for your reply. The attitude of the advisor seems to be somewhat at odds with the attitude of the Martial Steward of Highwyn. While he seems utterly offended by your words, she seems amused, almost tickled by your brashness.

PeacefulOak
2018-03-17, 11:21 PM
Brushing a hand through their hair, Gabriel’s gaze remains firm as they completely ignore the aide. ”No one says that you are anything less than capable of taking care of your people, Akemi. If anything, it is to give you the time and focus for the care of this city, and the removing of a dangerous distraction that would serve much better in the field against a foe than rotting in a cell or repaving streets. Beyond that, though, I see your fine city healing from the catastrophe that occurred here. Vengeance and anger do nothing to aid in the healing process, and having wizardly types in town will be a Thorne under the skin for some.” They pause, clear their throat.

“I’m not asking you for gifts of money, labor, or time. I am a simple druid, I care for nothing but the natural order, and for the Good of this land. I am asking you to help me help you, and your people.”

Diplomacy if required: [roll0]

Question: am I in the same timeframe as the party, or is this during day 1 or 2 of the trial?

inexorabletruth
2018-03-18, 12:07 AM
Sadly, neither of them seem impressed by your attempt at diplomacy.

The advisor snaps at you, "That's Mistress Akemi, to you!"
But Akemi puts a calming hand on his shoulder and leans in to whisper in his ear some more. Fortunately, Akemi cares nothing for diplomacy, and (ironically) prefers a direct approach in communication.

The advisor turns to you with a refreshed perspective. "Are you the one who has been helping Madam Brushgather with her garden?"

You recognize the halfling name, though you did not meet the person. Madam Jillian Brushgather is leader of the adept's coven, and the political face of their organization. Her duties on the council keep her away from her garden most of the time, but you'd have to be deaf and blind to have not seen or heard her name mentioned about the small compound and grounds.

I'm seeing this as you leaving to see her on the 4th day, but before the final verdict. This would explain how you managed to get in good with both the local city watch and the adepts, why you would need lodging, how you built a hold of influence, and why you wouldn't know the verdict, yet would suspect it wouldn't go well, at least for Argi'er. Because it kind of didn't look like he was going to win the case. You would've missed the point where the aristocratic aid he received agreed to falsify his documents to make him look innocent.

Also, skill rolls always affect something. And a bad roll doesn't necessarily hurt your chances, it just doesn't give you the exact result you're looking for. In my campaigns, when in doubt roll a skill check. The changes may not always be initially clear, but by following the DC rules laid out in the PHB for Diplomacy, you've changed something. The advisor is currently Unfriendly, and Mistress Akemi is Indifferent, but that doesn't mean they didn't see the attempt at honeying your words. The advisor sees this as being too familiar. Akemi sees your difficulty with political speak as a sign of an honest person. Her attitude towards you may not have changed, but she now wants to believe you, which grants minor circumstance bonuses to future interactions, provided she doesn't feel that trust is being betrayed.

PeacefulOak
2018-03-19, 10:07 AM
"Yes, that is me. The good people of the coven requested my aid, and I could not refuse such a sincere need. I hope I have not done any wrong in this?" Their gentle eyes look up at the two, conveying sincerity and a guileless nature.

inexorabletruth
2018-03-19, 05:08 PM
Mistress Akemi whispers to the advisor again.

"You have our gratitude, Master Tosscobble. The research they are performing there is of utmost importance to the continued safety of our village."

Mistress Akemi again whispers some more. The advisor summons a guard, and Akemi whispers in her ear. She bows low, "Yes Mistress Akemi," then rushes off.

The advisor continues to address you. "Please tell me. What are the intentions of your Order for our prisoners? Ours is to treat them. We are hopeful that the herbs in Madam Brushgather's Garden can provide a treatment for the diseases of the mind. And with your aid, the harvest has not only come early, but in far greater supply than we could've hoped."

PeacefulOak
2018-03-19, 06:29 PM
Gabriel pauses, one hand coming up unconsciously to scratch dee in the thatch of their bright green hair as they think back on the work they have done the past few days. ”As I said, my intent is to guide them and support them as we push back the front of this war, until a state of peace and balance can be achieved. If there is value to these herbs and concoctions, I could easily administer the treatments.” They smile, with a certain feral edge to their gaze. ”Rest assured, I intend no ill to this town, it’s people, or to these accused. I mean to defend you and all the people and creatures of this realm.”

Knowledge Nature [roll0] to know about the properties of the plants I’ve seen/worked with the past few days
Diplomacy [roll1] to play nice.

inexorabletruth
2018-03-19, 08:29 PM
Akemi sits quietly for several moments, considering your offer.

The advisor seems conflicted as he turns to Mistress Akemi. "Mistress, we cannot circumvent protocol. If they are found guilty, then they mustn't be aloud to roam free as wards of an unknown druid, regardless of his contributions to our research. Even if the one from Upper Ibra is found innocent, the law clearly states we must give Upper Ibra the opportunity to challenge the verdict."

Mistress Akemi frowns at this, but nods and whispers back to the advisor, who turns to you again. "Mistress Akemi wishes to know if the prisoners would be under the care of your order, or if you are acting alone."

The herbs all serve different functions. Some are curative, while others are poisonous. Some are mind altering, while others are sedatives. You surmise that the adepts are still clearly experimenting with the herbs to come up with a solution. But a concoction with those herbs could just as easily kill someone as save their lives. You'd have to take time to study how they are combining the various plants, and their dosage to determine what the actual outcome of a concoction.

PeacefulOak
2018-03-19, 10:58 PM
”If it is assurances you ask, you have them. Any Druid of our order acts in the name of all druids, just as all druids act for the good of each. Our order desires an end to this conflict and gave me the responsibility to enact their will while they defend our lands. Your charges will be well watched and well kept, and I will ensure that any judgement passed is honored, save where doing so would risk lives or our mission.” The halfling stands tall, confidence without pride showing in their voice and posture.

inexorabletruth
2018-03-20, 12:20 AM
Mistress Akemi nods as she and the advisor consult quietly. The advisor turns to you again.

"That is certainly a relief to hear. What you are describing is a dated rite, though. Our newest magistrate strives not to indenture our inmates to private wardens. She finds that the private institutions tend to overstretch their influence on the prisoner, and so do more to diminish the efforts of rehabilitation than elevate it. What you request will require a great trust between us and your order. A commitment to our mutual benefit, and of course, to the best interest of rehabilitation for the convicted."

The guard returns and hands Mistress Akemi some paperwork. She seems too engrossed in the reading of the document to be paying close attention to what you and the advisor are currently discussing. The advisor stares at your intently, with a raised eyebrow, as if conspiring with you.

The advisor is using the Bluff skill to send you a secret message. He succeeds on his check. It seems as though he is implying that he will use his powers to influence the verdict favorably if you will convince your order to further aid Highwyn. Based on context clues, you could surmise that aid could either be with the growth of the medicinal garden, or with military might, since the town is in desperate need of both. Since the advisor is being coy, you also have enough reason to suspect this deal would not be entirely "above board." It is unclear, without rolling a Sense Motive check, whether or not Mistress Akemi would approve of this openly. Furthermore it is unclear whether or not the advisor even has the power and influence to do what he is insinuating he will do... which is basically human trafficking.

PeacefulOak
2018-03-20, 10:08 AM
Sense Motive: [roll0]

Gabriel smiles back at the advisor. "I am certain that my people would be more than happy to aid you. My journey, my presence is with the intent of aiding your people, and I have already devoted time to helping accelerate the growth and production of your produce. I will write and request of my people some further aid for you, both in providing instruction to your adepts and in channeling our natural magic to aiding in the regrowth of this city. I should note that I do not intend ownership of the prisoners, rather to act as their guide and counsel. Rehabilitation is always superior to simple incarceration."

inexorabletruth
2018-03-20, 03:29 PM
The advisor grins back, happy to trade the lives of a few for the greater gain of his city. "Allow me to draw up the proper forms," he offers politely and begins to scurry towards a desk.

Akemi looks up from her reading, appearing confused and reaches out to the advisor, but he is already out of reach and cannot see her reaching for her. Glaring at the advisor, she slams a fist down onto the armrest of her chair with surprising force. The echo resonates like a wooden drum, and the advisor freezes in his tracks and looks over at Mistress Akemi, her face returned to its former state of calm, but the amusement is gone.

"Mistress," the advisor coos with a low bow, "this situation is all too easy to remedy without further distracting you from the affairs of running the city. I can see already that the demands of your people are already in your hand, and saw no reason to distract you from the far more important business you must be dealing with." he gestures to the table as if asking permission to do her this favor of handling you for her.

Akemi waives the advisor back, who hesitates and offers you a wavering smile. The two exchange whispers, which seem to get a bit heated, especially from the advisor. The only thing you hear is the advisor's harsh rasp of "NO YOU CAN'T-" before the guards partially unsheathe their swords and take a half step forward. Akemi's gaze is somehow searing and icy as she glares the advisor down, who immediately submits.

The advisor turns to you reluctantly. "We have word of a verdict for your travelling companions. They have been cleared of all charges and immediately released. The verdict has been sent for Argi'er to Upper Ibra for review, and they will determine whether or not the decision is satisfactory. We will most likely not hear from them until the morrow, but Upper Ibra has never rejected our verdicts before, so it is largely a formality." He is positively sour to be giving you this news.

"Meaning, we cannot trade prisoners with you, for we have none to trade," he offers reluctantly. Akemi nudges him like a mother correcting an impudent child. "And it would be illegal."

PeacefulOak
2018-03-20, 04:54 PM
Gabriel gives the advisor a cold look, and turns to directly address Akemi.

"Please rest assured that it was not my intent to trade services for people.
I heard a call for help and answered with the sincere extension of aide, as would any of my people. My heart is gladdened that my erstwhile companions have been granted freedom and deemed guiltless of crime. I believe I shall seek them out now, and if you have a paper I will happily write a letter you may send to the druids of the area requesting aid for your city."

Assuming that the letter is requested, Gabriel writes a brief but thorough letter explaining the challenges of the city and the need for druidic aid. That done, he takes his leave and goes looking for the remainder of the group.

inexorabletruth
2018-03-20, 04:58 PM
You may consider this portion of your side quest closed.