PDA

View Full Version : Ways to Obtain Claws?

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-17, 06:53 PM
Are there any spells, classes or abilities that can give you claws?

(Either real/permanently ones or temporary one like you get from Primal Savagery.)

Kuulvheysoon
2018-03-17, 07:33 PM
Reincarnation with the Tabaxi added to the table?

kardar233
2018-03-17, 07:34 PM
You can obtain claws by being a bear (Moon Druid).

Apart from that, the Bestial Claws manifestation of the UA Mystic (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf) is described as claws.

Most of the ways to gain claws are through race choice. Dragonborn get access to the Dragon Hide feat (https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/RJSJC2017_04UASkillFeats_24v10.pdf) which gives you 1d4 damage claws, +1 unarmoured AC and +1 to Str or Cha. Tabaxi (from Volo's) get 1d4 damage claws as well. Razorclaw Shifters (https://media.wizards.com/2015/downloads/dnd/UA_Eberron_v1.pdf) get Dex-based claws with no listed damage while shifting, that can attack as a bonus action.

Those are all the ways I know.

DracoKnight
2018-03-17, 07:48 PM
There's a wonderful, oft overlooked 2nd-level spell that gives you magical +1 claws that deal 1d6 damage for 1 hour. It's a little gem known simply as alter self.

Daithi
2018-03-17, 10:23 PM
Unearthed Arcana Mystic has Bestial Form with Bestial Claws that add 1d10 damage per psi spent (max 7).

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-17, 10:39 PM
There’s a UA Cantrip called Primal Savagery which alllows you to transform your hands into claws for a round, and deal d10 acid damage. However, it only lasts for when you make the attack with it, but you could always do a bit of flavoring if need be.

Mongobear
2018-03-17, 11:07 PM
Dragonborn via a Feat.

Tabaxi via being a Tabaxi.

Druids from Wild Shape.

Maybe Tavern Brawler if your DM allows it, and you're something that would reasonably have claws. (Likely would need to be something like Dragonborn for it to make sense.)

Polymorph type spells.

A nice DM refluffing Martial Arts to be a claw attack.

Mystic from the UA. (Not sure what, dont use UA.)

Lawful Good
2018-03-17, 11:50 PM
There’s a UA Cantrip called Primal Savagery which alllows you to transform your hands into claws for a round, and deal d10 acid damage. However, it only lasts for when you make the attack with it, but you could always do a bit of flavoring if need be.

Yeah, I believe this made it into Xanathar's.

I also think Tenser's Transformation gives you a natural attack, but Im AFB right now.

Asmotherion
2018-03-18, 12:21 AM
Best way I know is Alter Self. When you don't need to look like an other person or race, breath underwater or use it in some other crafty way, just spawn some cool claws/teeth/other natural weapon and maim your opponent with an enhancment bonus on top. Switching betwing options (including the option of looking like your normal form) for the duration makes you going Wolverin (non-metal version of the claws, sadly, but can work around that if you are crafty*) tottaly legit.

Most versalite 2nd level spell ever. :3

*Perhaps a Dragonic origin Sorcerer with Metalic (silver probably) Dragon Ancestry could get totally legit metalic-looking claws... Just putting the idea on the table XD

Jaymax91
2018-03-18, 05:33 PM
In VgtM there is a section on mind flayers that mentions "flensing claws" can be attached to humanoids.

bc56
2018-03-18, 09:07 PM
In VgtM there is a section on mind flayers that mentions "flensing claws" can be attached to humanoids.

Good luck getting a willing mindflayer to attach them, plus you will never be able to normally manipulate objects again, but it technically works.

Ganymede
2018-03-18, 09:09 PM
Get yourself a suit of Demon Plate.

Lombra
2018-03-19, 06:18 AM
Aarakocra has natuaral claws. Other than that alter self looks like the simplest way. Becoming an half-dragon or a werebeast too.

Ivor_The_Mad
2018-03-19, 06:44 AM
Polymorph or true polymorph would give you claws. The shape change ability of the druid can give you claws. Also if you get bitten by a lycanthrope.

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-19, 10:21 AM
Order of the Lycan Blood Hunter gets you claws when you shift. Or be a tortle.

Strangways
2018-03-19, 09:39 PM
There's a wonderful, oft overlooked 2nd-level spell that gives you magical +1 claws that deal 1d6 damage for 1 hour. It's a little gem known simply as alter self.

Druids eventually get the ability to cast that spell at will, so you could have permanent claws at that point.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-20, 04:39 AM
Druids eventually get the ability to cast that spell at will, so you could have permanent claws at that point.

Hmm, that is interesting.

Can't Warlocks eventually cast that spell at-will, too?

SkylarkR6
2018-03-20, 05:31 AM
Master of Myriad forms. 15th level invocation

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-20, 05:59 AM
Hmm, both are depressingly high-level. :smalltongue:

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-20, 06:28 AM
Hmm, both are depressingly high-level. :smalltongue:

But it is only 2nd level spell. So Druid’s would be. Able to use it very often and when not using it use the primal savagery cantrip from Xans.

Wizards get the spell I believe and can cast it at will with Spell Mastery. But that’s level 18.

smcmike
2018-03-20, 06:36 AM
But it is only 2nd level spell. So Druid’s would be. Able to use it very often and when not using it use the primal savagery cantrip from Xans.

Wizards get the spell I believe and can cast it at will with Spell Mastery. But that’s level 18.

It isn’t a Druid or Warlock spell, though, apart from their high-level at-will abilities. That’s pretty frustrating.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-20, 06:44 AM
It isn’t a Druid or Warlock spell, though, apart from their high-level at-will abilities. That’s pretty frustrating.

Wtf. Who decided to not give druids Alter Self??

I’ll trade Animal Nessenger Any day for alter self.

That’s crazy only sorceres and wizards get it on their list.

Ok so I guess best bet is...
3 levels of dragon Sorcerer then the rest Tomelock, pick up primal savagery cantrip with the tome, and alter self/PS until level 18 then cast it at will from there ?

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-20, 06:57 AM
Ok so I guess best bet is...
3 levels of dragon Sorcerer then the rest Tomelock, pick up primal savagery cantrip with the tome, and alter self/PS until level 18 then cast it at will from there ?

But then you're delaying getting at-will claws to the point where you'll probably never get them at all. :smallconfused:

EDIT: I've also just found out that you're not allowed to use Dex for claw attacks. :smallfrown:

I think I'll just abandon this idea.

Thanks for your help, anyway, guys.

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-20, 07:13 AM
But then you're delaying getting at-will claws to the point where you'll probably never get them at all. :smallconfused:

EDIT: I've also just found out that you're not allowed to use Dex for claw attacks. :smallfrown:

I think I'll just abandon this idea.

Thanks for your help, anyway, guys.

True, delay is a thing.

You could just be a Tabaxi Monk. They get claws at level 1 usable with dex

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-20, 07:19 AM
You could just be a Tabaxi Monk. They get claws at level 1 usable with dex

Except that I specifically didn't want to rely on my race to get claws.

nickl_2000
2018-03-20, 07:24 AM

This still requires concentration though, which is a major negative

Can you refluff a dagger to be a set of claws that you strap onto your hands? 1d4 slashing damage using dex or str as a mod? I don't see any issue with this as a DM

Mortis_Elrod
2018-03-20, 07:25 AM

Than use a cantrip?

At will second level spells are not suppose to be easily attainable.

Best bet is Wildshape, cantrip, use spellslots as a wizard/Sorcerer/lore Bard, or wait till 14/15/18 to get it at will.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-20, 07:30 AM
Can you refluff a dagger to be a set of claws that you strap onto your hands? 1d4 slashing damage using dex or str as a mod? I don't see any issue with this as a DM

I could but I was aiming for actual claws (as in, my hands turning into claws), rather than makeshift claws I just strap on.

As I said, I might as well just drop this altogether. Truthfully, with all the magic in D&D (not to mention that attacking with claws would probably be suboptimal at best), I really hadn't expected it to be such a pain.

Than use a cantrip?

At will second level spells are not suppose to be easily attainable.

Doesn't matter anyway. I'd forgotten that I'm not allowed to use dexterity for "unarmed strikes".

Rogerdodger557
2018-03-20, 07:33 AM
I could but I was aiming for actual claws (as in, my hands turning into claws), rather than makeshift claws I just strap on.

As I said, I might as well just drop this altogether. Truthfully, with all the magic in D&D (not to mention that attacking with claws would probably be suboptimal at best), I really hadn't expected it to be such a pain.

Doesn't matter anyway. I'd forgotten that I'm not allowed to use dexterity for "unarmed strikes".

I should have mentioned this in my previous post, but the Lycan Blood Hunter can use strength or dexterity with their claws, and the subclass grants a lot of survivability that the core class needs.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-20, 07:36 AM
I should have mentioned this in my previous post, but the Lycan Blood Hunter can use strength or dexterity with their claws, and the subclass grants a lot of survivability that the core class needs.

Okay, I'll take a look. Cheers.

ThatDrowPlayer
2018-03-20, 07:30 PM
Princes of the Apocalypse, pg. 222:

Claws of the Umber Hulk
Wondrous item, rare (requires attunement)
"These heavy gauntlets of brown iron are forged in the shape of an umber hulk's claws, and they fit the wearer's hands and forearms all the way up to the elbow. While wearing both claws, you gain a burrowing speed of 20 feet, and you can tunnel through solid rock at a rate of 1 foot per round.

You can use a claw as a melee weapon while wearing it. You have proficiency with it, and it deals 1d8 slashing damage on a hit (your Strength modifier applies to the attack and damage rolls, as normal).

While wearing the claws, you can't manipulate objects or cast spells with somatic components."

Praise Lolth.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-21, 01:42 AM
Be a Tortle for 1d4+Str.