PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite cantrip(s) to use in combat?

Greywander
2018-03-18, 01:33 AM
Cantrips are generally the fallback for when a full caster has nothing better to do, or is trying to conserve their resources. And damage cantrips fill that niche quite nicely (during combat, I mean), but I'm actually more interested in the the utility/support aspect of cantrips. Blasting is fine, but the bard, cleric, druid, and wizard are arguably better as utility and support classes. Because of this, I find spells like Vicious Mockery to be more interesting than Fire Bolt. And while I'd love to hear about the situational uses of cantrips, such as Minor Illusion, I'm looking for staple cantrips that one would be able to spam every round.

Eldritch Blast does deserve special mention as being the best blasting cantrip, though only for warlocks with Agonizing Blast. It does have some utility as a pseudo-AoE, since you can split the beam to take out multiple weaker enemies. Most of the time, though, you'll probably just focus-fire the big bad. Since Eldritch Blast is only on the warlock spell list, I don't think it's worth it for other classes to go through the effort to get it (e.g. with Magic Initiate; multiclassing can get you a lot more than just Eldritch+Agonizing Blast).

On the other end of the scale is the previously mention Vicious Mockery, which is unfortunately only available to bards. The damage is much lower, but the rider is great. And most of the damage cantrips do have a rider, even Fire Bolt. And if I did take Fire Bolt, I'd probably be keeping an eye out for flammable objects I could ignite. Chill Touch is another decent damage cantrip whose rider is invaluable in the rare cases where it comes up.

I'd also love to see how utility cantrips can be put to use in combat. I never feel like I have enough cantrips, and I tend to value utility over damage, so if I can make a utility cantrip work in combat then that would save me needing a direct damage cantrip.

So what are your favorite cantrips to use in combat?

jojo
2018-03-18, 01:48 AM
Mold Earth can be pretty good, creating difficult terrain to restrict movement is awesome.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-18, 03:13 AM
In combat, I have been relying pretty heavily on Sacred Flame thus far.
It probably helps that I've only played a (Death) Cleric thus far.

I'm gonna swap out Chill Touch for Toll the Dead on the next level up, and I'm thinking about grabbing Word of Radiance over Thaumaturgy, so I have options.

I'm planning to go Eldritch Knight with another character I'm playing in a new campaign, and that one will probably pick up Firebolt or Toll the Dead to have some ranged options.

..And now I have an idea for some Homebrew magical rings that let a non-caster use cantrips for this sorta thing. Should be alright, since they don't get any real synergy with class features.

MauveGnome
2018-03-18, 03:57 AM
For me nothing beats minor illusion. Used creativity it can be a huge game-changer.

Greywander
2018-03-18, 04:22 AM
Mold Earth can be pretty good, creating difficult terrain to restrict movement is awesome.
I feel this is highly situational, but also that it would be easy to overlook opportunities to use this if you're not paying attention. Do you have any stories of times that it came in handy during combat?

In combat, I have been relying pretty heavily on Sacred Flame thus far.
Sacred Flame is kind of interesting in that it looks like a straight damage cantrip on paper (no rider effects), but there are a few nasty critters from the Monster Manual that have some sort of weakness to radiant damage. Vampires in particular come to mind. As far as straight damage, it's not bad, either. Radiant is among the best damage types out there, and a DEX save is better than a CON save. I'm working on a cleric 1/wizard X build, and I'm wondering if it might be worth it to take Sacred Flame as one of my cleric cantrips, even with just a 14 WIS.

For me nothing beats minor illusion. Used creativity it can be a huge game-changer.
I plan to do this as much as I'm able to, but I'm afraid of falling into a rut and overusing a particular tactic because it was effective once. I think the key is to try and never pull the same trick twice. Got any stories about how you've used Minor Illusion in combat? I could use some more ideas on how to get the most out of this cantrip.

MauveGnome
2018-03-18, 04:42 AM
Got any stories about how you've used Minor Illusion in combat?

I created the sound of a small prey to lure a predator out of a pool so we got a surprise round.

I created a bush to hide behind imposing disadvantage on ranged attacks.

I rustled a tree to trick a group of archers into wasting a turn firing arrows into it.

My current character also uses it to put on comical puppet shows to amuse our party and tell our story to people we meet.

Oerlaf
2018-03-18, 05:04 AM
Agonizing Repelling Eldritch Lance of Lethargy

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-18, 06:25 AM
My favourite combat cantrips:

1) Eldritch Blast. Just a really good attack.

2) Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade. I love these on Arcane Tricksters or mages with Mobile. Great for Hit & Run tactics (though Booming Blade is my favourite).

3) Toll the Dead. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIVgxFabzdE

4) Primal Savagery. Mostly I just like the idea of my hands turning into claws for the attack.

5) Chill Touch. As with Primal Savagery, I like the flavour more than anything else.

My least favourite combat cantrips:

1) Vicious Mockery. Especially at higher levels, the damage is negligible and the effect gets progressively weaker. I don't know if I'd call it bad - I just don't enjoy using it. I don't mind being a support-caster, but I'd rather have a cantrip that reduces an enemy's defence, rather than their offence.

2) Produce Flame. I like the utility, but mostly it just ends up being a crappy version of Firebolt with worse damage and abysmal range.

3) Frostbite. Something of an awkward spell. Most monsters have good Con saves, and the damage isn't significantly better than that of Vicious Mockery.

I just want to say though that, whilst some Cantrips aren't great, I really love the Cantrip system in 5th. It's infinitely preferable to older editions - when all you could do when you ran out of spells was plink away at the enemy with crossbows or such.

I'm gonna swap out Chill Touch for Toll the Dead on the next level up

Unless you're playing with house rules, you're not actually allowed to swap out cantrips.

KillingTime
2018-03-18, 06:54 AM
I think you have to look at Vicious Mockery in terms of the overall package the Bard offers.
Yes the damage isn't brilliant, but it's just one more annoyance being flung into the faces of the enemy, alongside all their other dubuffs and cutting words.

Even against high level opponents, forcing disadvantage onto only one of their powerful attacks is still a very useful feature for a cantrip level spell, when it hurts so hard to be hit just once.

Also it's obviously the most fun spell in the game but a long shot.

Quoz
2018-03-18, 07:08 AM
In aquatic or seafaring games, especially combined with a swim speed, Shape water is amazing. A 5 foot iceberg dropped in a chase scene, swim under a ship and freeze the rudder, or just make a frozen surf board and ride your own swells.

Shape earth has similar utility on land, and is amazing if you set up camp or know an attack is coming. In a round you can block a passage or doorway, breaking up a fight considerably. In about a minute you can dig a 30 foot well for shoving/dropping enemies into. In 5-10 you can have a full trenchwork fortification worthy of a WWI battle scene.

Guidance is also amazing utility and solid in combat, though concentration limits it a lot. But proning/grappling/shoving into a pit are all skill checks it can boost that can isolate a big target and swing a combat. Greatly outshines by bless, but it definitely has a place.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-18, 07:24 AM
I think you have to look at Vicious Mockery in terms of the overall package the Bard offers.

Except that it's their only damage cantrip.

Yes the damage isn't brilliant, but it's just one more annoyance being flung into the faces of the enemy, alongside all their other dubuffs and cutting words.

But that's the thing - I often didn't need yet another annoyance. What I needed was either some decent damage or something that would make it easier for my allies to kill the enemy.

Even against high level opponents, forcing disadvantage onto only one of their powerful attacks is still a very useful feature for a cantrip level spell, when it hurts so hard to be hit just once.

I've never seen it have a meaningful impact on such an opponent.

Also it's obviously the most fun spell in the game but a long shot.

Ah yes. Clearly I must have misinterpreted my own opinion. How foolish of me. :smallconfused:

KillingTime
2018-03-18, 07:49 AM
Except that it's their only damage cantrip.

And that's fine.
Bards are not a damage dealing class. They're a support class, and this is a support cantrip with a small damage rider.
If you want a damage dealing cantrip play a warlock.

Ah yes. Clearly I must have misinterpreted my own opinion. How foolish of me. :smallconfused:

My previous post was not wholly directed at you. No need to take it personally.

By fun, I meant in terms of fluff, if not effect.
After all, it is the only spell that actively encourages you to insult the DM.

Mjolnirbear
2018-03-18, 10:17 AM
Mold Earth and Shape Water.

Like minor illusion they have untold creative potential. With these, I have:

* frozen a door shut to give us time
* iced down a set of stairs so that enemies would fall trying to attack us
* created a 'diving helmet' to help protect from the effects of poison gas
* tunnelled captives to safety
* made trenches for cover and safety
* collapsed an earthen tunnel to keep us safe for a rest
* formed weapons of ice when I was disarmed

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-18, 11:45 AM
[I]
Unless you're playing with house rules, you're not actually allowed to swap out cantrips.

I asked the DM, and they're okay with me swapping the cantrip out, since XGtE wasn't available when the character was made, so TtD wasn't an option for me to pick.

Ganryu
2018-03-18, 11:47 AM
Mold earth is amazing.

I'm running a stone Sorcerer/Hexblade Warlock. Completely melee based spellcaster. I ran off from the group to finish off a boss that no one else could get too (I was a Kor). It was a situation where the GM was really trying to make it live. Problem was it was a vampire, and I couldn't actually kill it due to Regen. My AC is ridiculous(19-24 with the Blur spell and Mirror image, its just dirty), and it couldn't hit me either. So I came up with a solution in this duel. I just slowly started to sink both of us into the ground. Every round 5 feet deeper we would go. DM was confused, but it worked. When we're 30 feet down I just start collapsing the hole. Bury the vampire alive, and then use mold earth to slowly tunnel myself out. Sadly, the vampires boss saves him, but damn if that wasn't awesome.

Solid damage? Firebolt is good. Toll of the Dead is good too.

Amazing damage, well, there's a reason Warlocks are known for Eldritch blast. Hex, Hexblade curse/other buffs, Agonizing blast, Repelling blast, and it is party time. They end up doing insane damage with just a cantrip from 120-300 feet away. Think EB is a little too hyped though on other classes.

Messing with a campaign? Minor Illusion.

My current goal is to now find a way to mess with the DM with the Gust spell.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-18, 12:31 PM
Mold earth is amazing.

I'm running a stone Sorcerer/Hexblade Warlock. Completely melee based spellcaster. I ran off from the group to finish off a boss that no one else could get too (I was a Kor). It was a situation where the GM was really trying to make it live. Problem was it was a vampire, and I couldn't actually kill it due to Regen. My AC is ridiculous(19-24 with the Blur spell and Mirror image, its just dirty), and it couldn't hit me either. So I came up with a solution in this duel. I just slowly started to sink both of us into the ground. Every round 5 feet deeper we would go. DM was confused, but it worked. When we're 30 feet down I just start collapsing the hole. Bury the vampire alive, and then use mold earth to slowly tunnel myself out. Sadly, the vampires boss saves him, but damn if that wasn't awesome.

Solid damage? Firebolt is good. Toll of the Dead is good too.

Amazing damage, well, there's a reason Warlocks are known for Eldritch blast. Hex, Hexblade curse/other buffs, Agonizing blast, Repelling blast, and it is party time. They end up doing insane damage with just a cantrip from 120-300 feet away. Think EB is a little too hyped though on other classes.

Messing with a campaign? Minor Illusion.

My current goal is to now find a way to mess with the DM with the Gust spell.

Play a Tabaxi caster with Gust, use the cantrips to knock stuff off of tables. Embrace the donkey cavity-cat side of yourself.

Ganryu
2018-03-18, 12:56 PM
Play a Tabaxi caster with Gust, use the cantrips to knock stuff off of tables. Embrace the donkey cavity-cat side of yourself.

I've never wanted to change races as badly as I do today.

Potato_Priest
2018-03-18, 01:10 PM
I swear by chill touch. It’s a universal cure for trolls, vampires, vegypygmies(although who actually uses these in a campaign I can’t say) death slaads, hydras (although they still get extra heads) and enemy paladins and clerics.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-18, 02:58 PM
And that's fine.
Bards are not a damage dealing class. They're a support class, and this is a support cantrip with a small damage rider.

Sure. But why can't they have other support cantrips with different effects?

My previous post was not wholly directed at you. No need to take it personally.

Well, you were responding to me personally at the time. :smalltongue:

By fun, I meant in terms of fluff, if not effect.
After all, it is the only spell that actively encourages you to insult the DM.

Out of interest, do you say the insult before or after finding out whether or not your target failed his save?

KillingTime
2018-03-18, 03:20 PM
Sure. But why can't they have other support cantrips with different effects?

They do.
Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Friends... these are extremely useful support cantrips.

Well, you were responding to me personally at the time. :smalltongue:

I was responding to some of what you said but I was directing it openly to the thread.
It's the internet. Don't take it personally.

Out of interest, do you say the insult before or after finding out whether or not your target failed his save?

Before.
Then we roll the dice and find out if the target found my insult insulting.

Dr. Cliché
2018-03-18, 03:23 PM
They do.
Minor Illusion, Mage Hand, Friends... these are extremely useful support cantrips.

Comparing these with Vicious Mockery is disingenuous and you know it.

mechanised_orc
2018-03-18, 05:35 PM
Thornwhip is great for pulling things into traps, or into your fighter's range.
Produce flame has some utility, although everything and their mother has darkvision

AHF
2018-03-18, 10:37 PM
Shocking grasp has utility as a damage dealing version of disengage

ImproperJustice
2018-03-18, 11:34 PM
Currently running an Eldritch Knight with spell sniper and I have to say Chill touch is pretty nice.
As someone said before, it shuts down regen, and as an Edritch Knight dueling an undead, even if theh resist the damage, their disadvantage means they won’t be able to retaliate.

Similarly, Frostbite gets much better when paired with Eldritch Strike (disadvantage on that Con save) and gives the EK a dueling advantage.

I will also agree with others that Mold Earth is great.
Of someone has it, we always have a fortified camp every night.

With a few rounds of prep, you can have towers, ditches, pits, etc....

In one instance our Sorceror dug a pit and made a low wall, near a doorway and our Shadow Monk used minor illusion to conceal a portion of the pit.

Exploring, Mold Earth makes clearing blocked passages easier and makes a great “sandblaster” or dirt remover to gently clean dirty or muddy floors to expose trap triggers, concealed enemies, and treasure.

jojo
2018-03-19, 03:13 AM
I feel this is highly situational, but also that it would be easy to overlook opportunities to use this if you're not paying attention. Do you have any stories of times that it came in handy during combat?

There's really not much of an "upper limit" on the combat potential for Mold Earth, aside from individual creativity. The spell really goes into the whole "god-wizard" methodology of casting in which battlefield control is emphasized.

Is there dirt? If yes then there is a use for Mold Earth. One of the more reliable combos I've found works in conjunction with a trip-focused fighter. Use the difficult terrain component of the spell on the earth beneath the opponent so that they contest the fighter's trip attempt at disadvantage. Sometimes you can force an acrobatics or athletics check to avoid falling prone just with the spell, such as on a narrow mountain road or if the opponent is running uphill (Grease is awesome for that too.)

Examples:

- Random encounter in CoS, progressively dropped everything off the side of the mountain, then rebuilt the road and moved on.
- Group of bandits trying to escape my furious justice. Riding horses into a previously non-existent 5-foot deep pit at a full gallop will kill just as thoroughly as a bow and arrow.
- Different encounter, more bandits, more fleeing, overconfidence leads into a secondary ambush. Trees are not a smart over watch position when I can undermine their root systems. 3 Rounds of Move Earth is more than sufficient cause for any reasonable DM to drop a 50 tall, 3 foot thick Oak tree of pain.
- Assaulting random fortress. Walls are not very effective without a foundation.

Thornwhip is great for pulling things into traps, or into your fighter's range.
Produce flame has some utility, although everything and their mother has darkvision

I like Lightning Lure in conjunction with Booming Blade for this. If you've got a Fighter BB you can straight up nuke a lot of things, especially after level 5. Just use LL to yank the enemy away from the fighter and if it's survived it has no choice but to activate two stacks of thunder damage.

Beelzebubba
2018-03-19, 06:40 AM
I really like Ray of Frost for the control aspect. Lopping 10' off of the movement of a monster enables a lot of battlefield maneuvering, like letting Rogues get off a solid hit, Disengage, and get out of range. Or, it really helps the party catch a fleeing scout.

ImproperJustice
2018-03-19, 07:37 AM
I really like Ray of Frost for the control aspect. Lopping 10' off of the movement of a monster enables a lot of battlefield maneuvering, like letting Rogues get off a solid hit, Disengage, and get out of range. Or, it really helps the party catch a fleeing scout.

I forgot about Ray of Frost.
I’ve seen a Wizard follow up a Slow spell with Ray of Frost to completely lock down a T-Rex from fighting back.

xroads
2018-03-19, 09:13 AM
As of late, my favorite cantrip to spam is "Toll the Dead." I've been murdering creatures left & right with that spell.

As for non-combat, "Light" is the only cantrip I get any use out of. I like the idea behind "Mending" & "Guidance" though.

Maxilian
2018-03-20, 03:12 PM
In general:

1) Eldritch Blast, mostly cause with 2 lvl Warlock, i can literally MC with anything and i know that the character damage will go on par with that of a Fighter (excluding magic items), also one of the spells that basically beg "Reflavor me!"

2) Booming Blade and Green Flame Blade, want to spring some "mage" feel to a class without being a caster? there you go!, perfect for any class at low lvl (before 5), really good for some other classes (like ever -Rogue and Eldritch Knight Fighters)

3) Guidance, an extremely good out of combat spell (even better if you wish to have the "support" feel on the character, without having to depends on your spell slots)

4) Thorn Whip, a lovely hit based pull (regardless of how big, strong or whatever the enemy is, you pull them, that gives you a lot of options)

Sariel Vailo
2018-03-21, 01:13 PM
Vicious mockery because calling an orcs mother a slutty human wench will neeeeeever get old.

2D8HP
2018-03-21, 02:37 PM
I've played exactly one PC that could cast a Cantrip, which was Firebolt.

So my answer is Firebolt.

FIRE! FIRE!

Xihirli
2018-03-21, 02:41 PM
My fighter rolled a 16 CHA and 8 DEX. My ranged options were thrown weapons that only reached 20 feet. I grabbed Magic Initiate (Warlock) for Hex and Eldritch Blast and never looked back. Also Thunderclap for hordes but that one was just okay.
Eldritch Blast.

Greywander
2018-03-22, 04:00 AM
After reading many of the replies regarding these two spells, I've come to see the value in them that I had previously dismisses. I still see them as being situational in combat (they're not something you could conceivably spam every round in every fight, like a straight damage cantrip), but you can still find opportunities to use them. Out of combat, though, they definitely have some use.

I swear by chill touch. It’s a universal cure for trolls, vampires, vegypygmies(although who actually uses these in a campaign I can’t say) death slaads, hydras (although they still get extra heads) and enemy paladins and clerics.
As far as damage cantrips go, I keep coming back to Chill Touch. It's damage is only one die step worse than Fire Bolt, and fewer monsters have resistance or immunity to necrotic damage than to fire, and even has a range of 120 feet, so even as a straight damage cantrip it's still pretty good. And while the rider probably won't come up too often, when it does it will really change the course of the fight.

Acid Splash - when can't see baddie
This is true, you don't quite realize how many spells require you to target a creature you can see until an enemy turns invisible or obscures themselves somehow.

I haven't had much opportunity to, well, play D&D at all, really, but to use Ray of Frost in particular. I feel like the movement reduction would stop being useful once the enemy was engaged with your tank, but then again that 10 feet speed reduction can be enough to dissuade from breaking away and attacking the squishies. I'm also leery of the 60 foot range, although the speed reduction does help with that. Cold damage is also a little better than fire, but not a lot.

Also Thunderclap for hordes but that one was just okay.
Sword Burst is probably superior to Thunderclap, both due to being force damage instead of thunder (although thunder is also pretty good), and because it's a DEX save instead of a CON save (high CON monsters are pretty common, high DEX not as much). But Thunderclap/Sword Burst/Word of Radiance does seem like a good choice for a melee fighter. Paladin's could use it since they don't have any AoE. And actually, the cleric's Potent Spellcasting means that you can add your WIS mod to the damage of all creatures you hit with Word of Radiance (not just the first one, like some class features that add your ability score modifier to cantrip damage).

All in all, it definitely seems to depend on what sort of character you are.

A wizard or other traditional full caster will likely prefer something like chill touch, though there are many other options.
Clerics will use sacred flame or word of radiance, and druids produce flame or thorn whip.
Rogues will love booming blade and green flame blade. Tougher melee types will add on sword burst or lighting lure.
And of course warlocks will be casting Agonizing eldritch blasts from 600 feet way, pushing and pulling and reducing movement speed.

I feel like Minor Illusion could be spammed every round, but you'd have to be creative and do something different every round in order to keep the enemy from catching on, and the DM from building counters to your most common illusions into the encounter itself.

A Fat Dragon
2018-03-22, 06:04 AM
My top two favorite cantrips are probably Toll the Dead (Great damage, and decent range), and Shocking Grasp.

Shocking Grasp is by-far the greater of these two. There’s something real satisfying about not only being Emperor Palestine, but also denying an enemy Reactions. I don’t think I’ve ever played a spell caster without having this on hand (I’ve only really played short-range spellcasters), as it allows a Spellcaster to escape from a tough enemy quickly, while allowing allies to feel a bit safer for a while.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-22, 07:21 AM
My top two favorite cantrips are probably Toll the Dead (Great damage, and decent range), and Shocking Grasp.

Shocking Grasp is by-far the greater of these two. There’s something real satisfying about not only being Emperor Palestine, but also denying an enemy Reactions. I don’t think I’ve ever played a spell caster without having this on hand (I’ve only really played short-range spellcasters), as it allows a Spellcaster to escape from a tough enemy quickly, while allowing allies to feel a bit safer for a while.

Add that Shocking Grasp would be a nice cantrip for a gish to have for short range, too.
Unless the squishy mage is in melee range when they really shouldn't be, it might not get used very often.

That being said, I might snag both Grasp and TtD on my Eldritch Knight, for flavor and synergy.
Maybe grab Magic Initiate at a later point for some other cantrips and a 'free' cast of a 1st level spell.
Or maybe grab Ritual Caster for Identify and something else. Possibly Find Familiar for flavor and scouting.

DerficusRex
2018-03-24, 04:56 PM

If you don't want to get in close, Shocking Grasp can also be delivered by your familiar (as long as it's within 100ft of you).

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-24, 05:43 PM
If you don't want to get in close, Shocking Grasp can also be delivered by your familiar (as long as it's within 100ft of you).

And if it hits, the familiar is also safe from retribution from the baddie you taser'd. Because no Reactions.
Of course, Fluffy is still boned if your target has a buddy next to him.

bc56
2018-03-24, 07:57 PM
Primal Savagery and Shocking Grasp
Because I love melee attack spells for flavor, and the rider on shocking is amazing for that quick getaway.

Thorn whip is fun too.

Greywander
2018-03-24, 11:07 PM
And if it hits, the familiar is also safe from retribution from the baddie you taser'd. Because no Reactions.
Of course, Fluffy is still boned if your target has a buddy next to him.
According to the Find Familiar spell description, the familiar has it's own initiative and acts on its own turn. As far as I understand it, then, you have to have your familiar end their turn next to the creature you want to cast the spell on, cast the spell on your turn through the familiar, and then have the familiar move away on their own turn. I really don't see how this is supposed to work practically. Although, I guess you could use the Ready Action and prep the spell to cast during your familiar's turn, so they can move in, you cast the spell as a reaction, then they move away, but that seems kind of cumbersome (and also eats your reaction, which you may have wanted for, say, Shield).

Note that the owl has the Flyby feature, so you don't need to worry about provoking opportunity attacks. Only works for owls, unfortunately. As far as I can tell owls are the "optimal" non-chainlock familiar, but I don't know that it's worth it so I'd probably just pick something fun or thematic for my character.

Chugger
2018-03-24, 11:11 PM
Mage Hand. I like to pinch them before cutting off their heads!

Kane0
2018-03-24, 11:36 PM
Blade ward for sure.

Bahahaha I kid I kid. Probably firebolt, there isnt much that can’t be solved by lighting something, or someone, on fire.

Ogre Mage
2018-03-25, 01:28 AM
Eldritch Blast with Agonizing Blast invocation. Accept no substitutes, lol.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-25, 03:19 PM
I'll list my favorite, along with the reason for liking them.

Eldritch Blast: Not only is it arguably the best damage cantrip, but Warlock can add some fun riders, like forced movement. This is particularly a strong one to get with Bard, as they lack a solid damage cantrip.
Booming Blade: It's a decent control ability, making the target think twice before moving. Fits thematically well with Tempest Cleric, and works very well mechanically with a Swashbuckler Rogue. It also can work as a Reaction if you have Warcaster, which Greenflame can't do.
Prestidigitation: The king of flavor cantrips, it's a fun ability that will have lots of use outside of combat for your PC, and I have fond memories of my player making themselves taste like horse dung when a dragon was trying to eat them.
Guidance: It makes most of the things you do outside of combat more effective, that's pretty awesome. Can be an interesting cantrip to pick up on a Rogue.
Mold Earth: Given time before a battle, you can get the home-field advantage in most places. This can be sort of replaced with the water cantrip in aquatic campaigns.
Mage Hand:It's a better version of a 10-foot pole, and is a hell of a lot more convenient to carry around.
Minor Illusion: Illusions hold a special place in my heart, and Illusion Wizards are easily my favorite class to play, so it's no wonder the loveliness that is this spell is a favorite of mine. Use it to trick enemies, hide, disguise an object, fake a voice, speak from hiding, make a distraction, the options are pretty varied. I could honestly play a PC who only had Illusion spells (outside of Weird being your only 9th level spell option, that one is hot garbage) and still have a great time.

Mind you I commonly use other cantrips like Firebolt, Toll the Dead, and Chill Touch and they're all very good, these are just my favorites.

Asmotherion
2018-03-25, 04:55 PM
Eldritch Blast. I get to create an energy effect, visual of my own choosing, and that's just awesome! That's exactly the kind of mage I like to play. Customisable via Evocations make this the Best Cantrip in the Game. Control Effects, Extra Damage and everything else one could ever wish for on a cantrip, buffed up to be as powerful as a 3rd level spell at-will for a Dedicated Warlock (Much Higher for a Sorlock)

I also love Prestidigitation, and Minor Illusion, as I can be very creative about how I use them, even in combat, as long as my Dm works with me.

Mage Hand can get more awesome combat aplications than it sounds, when you know how to use it. Dropping Caltrops, attaching them all to a cord or wire to move them and put them back down, can give good tacktical advantage in a narrow hallway, making the opponenet choose: take damage, or not move? Minor Illusion can prevent them from having the choice the first time they encounter them, and then move them with the hand around a corner, and cover them with an illusion again.

Booming Blade is my favorite SCAG one. Both it and GFB have amazing visual interpretations, so I went with the one I can optimise the most out of. The seccondary damage means that either the opponent moves and takes damage, or does not move, so I get him stuck in place. It's a Save or Suck control ability of Sorts.

If I was to ever play a character without Eldritch Blast, I'd use Fire Bolt as my go-to Ranged Spell Attack. I even usually take it either way, since it's super useful to ignite things from affar, on the right moment, and you never know when you might meet a troll.

Shocking Grasp is Awesome. I even take it on my Gish Characters, despite BB. Huge tactical advantage.

Shillelagh was my go-to Gish ticket (Via Pact of the Tome), when Hexblade was not a thing yet. I still use it from time to time, when I want to Gish, but try a Different Patron. It's nice overall, if you want to play the mage who can strike you really hard with his booming stuff (see booming blade above).

Chill Touch, given the proper visual, can get pretty awesome. I'd never get it as my go-to spell attack, but I like it as a seccondary choice (like a spell sniper choice). I think of it like a Force Choke that actually manifests itself as a dark ghostly hand, and drains the life force out of the enemy, leaving the surface skin dead where it touches, and the eyes blank wile it makes contact.

The main reason I love 5e is the Cantrips and how you can use them.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-25, 11:22 PM
Chill Touch, given the proper visual, can get pretty awesome. I'd never get it as my go-to spell attack, but I like it as a seccondary choice (like a spell sniper choice). I think of it like a Force Choke that actually manifests itself as a dark ghostly hand, and drains the life force out of the enemy, leaving the surface skin dead where it touches, and the eyes blank wile it makes contact.

The main reason I love 5e is the Cantrips and how you can use them.

Well, I now know what I'm flavoring my use of Chill Touch as on my Eldritch Knight character.. He's already Lawful/Neutral Evil, so it wouldn't be out of character, either.

Ganders
2018-03-26, 03:29 PM
Light cantrip is especially useful in combat. Under normal circumstances you can just use a torch or lantern, but those only work well when you're holding them, not when you throw them across the room. The Light cantrip works best when you do throw it across the room.

The Light object can be thrown, or carried by an owl familiar, or dragged by a hawk familiar at the end of a long string, or even moved around with Mage Hand. Occasionally, you might even cast Light on an object your enemy is holding if you have your owl familiar do a flyby (it's a touch spell, your familiar can deliver it).

Sure, Vicious Mockery can give the enemy disadvantage on an attack, but so can moving a Light. Position the light so that your enemy is well lit but you are in dim light. Usually that means putting the Light exactly twenty feet behind him. And that could affect all of his attacks, not just one.

Sure, True Strike can give you advantage, but moving the light back 40 feet also gives you advantage on your attacks, when he is dimly lit but you are in darkness. And not just to one attack, but all of your attacks... and all of the rest of the group's attack too.

Sure, Shocking Grasp can let you escape an enemy, but so can moving a Light. When you are in darkness, he can't take opportunity attacks because he can't see you -- you're as good as invisible. He also can't cast most spells at you -- most spells require you to see your target.

All of this is very situational. None of it will work outdoors during the day. Some of it doesn't work so well if your enemy has darkvision and stays within 60 feet of you. But SOMETIMES, that Light cantrip will turn out to have amazing combat effects.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-26, 03:50 PM
If you're trying to use light levels against your enemies, Dancing Lights is much more reliable, especially at lower levels when you'll be using concentration less often.

Miz_Liz
2018-03-27, 03:30 PM
I feel like I am kind of in the minority here, but it has been mentioned a few times, and I will re-iterate. Vicious Mockery. I pretty much always play a support caster, and for some reason tend to end up in heavy melee parties. That disadvantage is really a wonderful thing when you pare it with a barb's reckless attack, and gosh dang it's just so much fun.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-27, 03:47 PM
I feel like I am kind of in the minority here, but it has been mentioned a few times, and I will re-iterate. Vicious Mockery. I pretty much always play a support caster, and for some reason tend to end up in heavy melee parties. That disadvantage is really a wonderful thing when you pare it with a barb's reckless attack, and gosh dang it's just so much fun.

I wish to make a Tiefling Paladin with the Devil's Tongue trait instead of Infernal Legacy.
Why? So he can insult someone's honor, and have a valid mechanical reason for doing so!

It'd also give a nice mid-range at-will option for them to use. Even if perhaps walking over and just smackin' the dude a couple times would've been more effective damage wise..

Dys Dogeater
2018-03-27, 04:41 PM
Message to setup ambushes but that is generally "before" combat. I also like prestidigitation to snuff out mundane light sources against creatures that cannot see in dark caves castles or dungeons. The number of humans in caves brutally murdered in sudden darkness by our current party is becoming impressive.

Slayn82
2018-03-27, 05:01 PM
Add another vote for Vicious Mockery. It's save throw is as good as several other cantrips people often suggest (like minor immage - really, isn't this a thing to use before the fighting starts?). But since it's a pure verbal spell that deals psychic damage, it's a social encounter Greataxe. Nothing like returning a serious insult to you or a friend with something weak and lame, like "Well, but your taste in clothing is terrible and your mustache is lame" and still make them puke blood. For people who don't know magic, you can even say you didn't make anything, and your hand was where everyone could see, and you need to move your hands to cast magic, as everyone knows, right?

And also, it bypasses any bodyguards, high AC. Works pretty well on most Brute kind of enemies.

guachi
2018-03-27, 05:09 PM
Toll the Dead is nice because it uses d12 damage and the 12-sided die is the best die there is.

Also, it's fun to play an Evoker and cast save cantrips so you always do damage. Since Toll the Dead also falls into this category I guess I like Toll the Dead best.

Darkbru
2018-03-28, 12:02 AM

I single handedly ended a fight before it even began by using minor illusion. We were just starting out doing Tomb if Annihilation and as we were getting ready to rest for the night two boars decided they wanted to come into our camp. Luckily our rogue spotted them and warned us all. I ran back to the canoes, jumped in, and waited for the boars to enter the clearing. I then cast minor illusion to make it sound as if a T-Rex was roaring from my position and the boars failed some save or another and left. Fight over. It was hilarious to see the DMs reaction.

Basement Cat
2018-03-28, 12:35 AM
I see all the comments about Mold Earth and I'm confused.

http://engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Mold_Earth

If you target an area of loose earth, you can instantaneously excavate it, move it along the ground, and deposit it up to 5 feet away. This movement doesn’t have enough force to cause damage.

Loose earth sounds like what you'd find in a farmer's field. As someone who planted trees for years I don't see standard 'earth' as loose in any way: That's why I used a pick with my shovel every day. :smalltongue:

Also people are talking about manipulating stone like 'loose earth'. Or it seems that way. Is this definition of Mold Earth wrong?

OT: I've got a soft spot for Produce Flame because it doubles as a light source.

Light is useful if you can target an enemy's helmet (instantly blinding them) or shield or weapon--or something on the ground, etc.

While folks are quick to point out that Radiant damage is easily resisted by several monsters the same holds true of fire but they don't seem to ever point that out--again, am I missing something?

Eldritch Blast is worth it for any class--even going on a special quest to pick up Magic Initiate. Even without the Warlock invocations to improve it you're inflicting 1d10 damage per round which matches most fighters' best base weapon attacks. Get two or 3 blasts per round and you've got a party going on when it comes to brute straight attacks.

sophontteks
2018-03-28, 06:57 AM
Thorn Whip.
-It reminds me of Kurama's rose whip.
-Pulling creatures into pits, lava, or other hazards is fun.
-It reminds me of Scorpion.
-Pulling creatures back into nasty AOE spells is fun.
-It reminds me of indiana jones.

Blackbando
2018-03-28, 11:16 AM
Not my own personal favorite, but one of my players loves fire bolt to an unhealthy degree.

He's tried to make caster builds about using it and nothing else.

He preaches its gospel to folks in D&D discords I'm in.

He takes it on every character he possibly can, sometimes including non-casters.

...My personal favorite, though, would have to be Toll the Dead. I like high damage, and I like necromancy. Simple as that. It's also amazing with death cleric.

DarkKnightJin
2018-03-28, 12:00 PM
Not my own personal favorite, but one of my players loves fire bolt to an unhealthy degree.

He's tried to make caster builds about using it and nothing else.

He preaches its gospel to folks in D&D discords I'm in.

He takes it on every character he possibly can, sometimes including non-casters.

...My personal favorite, though, would have to be Toll the Dead. I like high damage, and I like necromancy. Simple as that. It's also amazing with death cleric.

I'm getting to swap my Death Cleric's Chill Touch for Toll the Dead, because he was created before XGtE was released.
I'm hoping I'll get to twin it for free sometime.

Any tips on fluffing it beyond the bell? It's thematic, but I kinda want a bit of visual flair to go with it.
I might try doing a Force Choke sorta thing to sap their lifeforce.

Joe the Rat
2018-03-28, 12:31 PM
I always suggest that casters have either a save damage spell or a melee spell, for when things get personal.

Before XGtE, I liked Thorn whip for Tomelocks for a little more position control. Since Xanathar's... I still eye it as an option. Spiked tentacles are incredibly on-brand, and it gives you a melee option (with 30' reach).

I also like it because in a pinch, you can use it on your party to haul someone out of danger for a small amount of pain. A sorcerer with distant spell and lightning lure can do this more cleanly, particularly for unconscious (auto failing Str saves) targets. Remember, the pull on these spells is up to 10 feet. You can whip an opponent at a distance, or LL a teammate to be 6' away from you, pulled from peril (hopefully) and not triggering damage.

I like Lightning Lure in conjunction with Booming Blade for this. If you've got a Fighter BB you can straight up nuke a lot of things, especially after level 5. Just use LL to yank the enemy away from the fighter and if it's survived it has no choice but to activate two stacks of thunder damage.A minor issue is that forced movement doesn't trigger the BB Aftershock.

Vorpal Crowbar
2018-03-29, 03:11 AM

Like minor illusion they have untold creative potential. With these, I have:

* frozen a door shut to give us time
* iced down a set of stairs so that enemies would fall trying to attack us
* created a 'diving helmet' to help protect from the effects of poison gas
* tunnelled captives to safety
* made trenches for cover and safety
* collapsed an earthen tunnel to keep us safe for a rest
* formed weapons of ice when I was disarmed

Totally agree- Best 2 cantrips - and to add to your list:

*iceberg yacht
*waterfall ice stairs
* mold earth in jet-intake destroyed escaping aircraft.
*giant ice pipes to direct methane gas, then lit the end on fire = super blowtorch = 1 shot entire enemy encounter
* 30+ft ice column (Shape Water + endless Decanter of water) - mold earth under 1 side of column, tipped over, destroyed half a mansion full of undead.
*dugout to long rest in.
*iced-over security cameras to sneak around.
*dug pit trap with thin ice sheet and dirt covering = nearly undetectable trap.
*giant snowball down a mountain-side crushed enemies

I don't think I go a game session without using one or both. The DM is now careful about where streams, rivers, wells, and other sources of water are. Can't do nothing about earth though :smalltongue: Although mileage may very; these spells are not direct damage, you have to figure a clever use for them, not everyone thinks that way. In fact the only damage spells I ever have fire bolt and toll the dead, nothing 1st lvl or above.

At the next tier down:

Minor illusion - conjure an 5 ft3 adamantium box and stand inside = +5 AC
Fire bolt - I sent my zombie minion covered in tar on a suicide run in a city-center. fire-bolted him - burned down the city and most of a county.
Toll the dead - great for assassination, plausible deniability.

VC