PDA

View Full Version : Failing a Jump Check When There's Nowhere to Fall

Mars Ultor
2018-03-18, 12:46 PM
I'm going to be taking Leap Attack as a feat and my total Jump score is 12. Since having a running jump of 20' is not always an option, most times I'll be doing a standing jump and need to succeed on a DC 20 check; that's a DC of 2 for every 1 foot of distance. The example given in the book assumes you're jumping over something like a chasm or stream, while I'd just be jumping over the floor.

The minimum jump distance for Leap Attack is 10'. If my skill total and die roll are less than 20, what happens? Do I just land at whatever distance I covered and lose my attack?

DeTess
2018-03-18, 12:52 PM
The minimum jump distance for Leap Attack is 10'. If my skill total and die roll are less than 20, what happens? Do I just land at whatever distance I covered and lose my attack?

You'd definitely not get the benefits of Leap attack. I think everything else is up to your DM. I'd say you'd lose the benefits of charge, but still get to make the attack, provided your target is within 30ft of your starting spot, but your DM could easily rule differently

Jowgen
2018-03-18, 01:21 PM
You don't clear the distance. If you fail by less than 5, there should be no repercussions, a DM may require a DC 15 Refelx save to land on your feet if you fail by 5 or more (judging by the rules for jumping over crevices).

Side-note, a Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (MIC, 3600 gp) lets you take 10 on jump and others. A worthwhile investment imo.

Venger
2018-03-18, 04:00 PM
You don't clear the distance. If you fail by less than 5, there should be no repercussions, a DM may require a DC 15 Refelx save to land on your feet if you fail by 5 or more (judging by the rules for jumping over crevices).

Side-note, a Belt of Ultimate Athleticism (MIC, 3600 gp) lets you take 10 on jump and others. A worthwhile investment imo.

Cool item! I've never looked at it before. It'll use your swift, but uberchargers don't really do a lot with it anyway.

Pleh
2018-03-18, 04:11 PM
You haven't mentioned your build yet. A lot of my friends dip into Tomb of Battle and pick up Sudden Leap maneuver. It allows a jump check as a swift action that counts as having a 20ft running start even when standing still.

DeTess
2018-03-18, 04:28 PM
You haven't mentioned your build yet. A lot of my friends dip into Tomb of Battle and pick up Sudden Leap maneuver. It allows a jump check as a swift action that counts as having a 20ft running start even when standing still.

It doesn't. Sudden leap is just a swift action jump check to cover ground with no special bonuses.

Leaping dragon stance allows you to always count as having had a running start, and adds a 10ft bonus to your jump check.

Pleh
2018-03-18, 06:37 PM
It doesn't. Sudden leap is just a swift action jump check to cover ground with no special bonuses.

Leaping dragon stance allows you to always count as having had a running start, and adds a 10ft bonus to your jump check.

Then I bet they're using the combination

Drelua
2018-03-18, 07:42 PM
The feat specfies 10' of horizontal distance, so no, unfortunately you definitely can't jump up and down to trigger the feat. Also, high jumps are a DC of 4 times the height in feet, not 2, so even if jumping 10 feet straight up did it, that would be a DC of 40.

Darrin
2018-03-18, 08:03 PM

You calculate the horizontal distance of the jump, and that determines where you land. Since you are still moving at that point, you can continue to move towards your opponent and complete your attack, if you have movement still available. If you didn't jump far enough to trigger Leap Attack, then you just ignore the feat.

So long as you have at least one skill rank and there are no obstacles or terrain features along your path, it looks like there's no risk of falling prone, although if a DM sees you roll a '1' or you manage to miss your target by 5 or more, a DM is likely to declare that you've fallen or encountered some negative consequence just for giggles.

Venger
2018-03-18, 08:19 PM
You calculate the horizontal distance of the jump, and that determines where you land. Since you are still moving at that point, you can continue to move towards your opponent and complete your attack, if you have movement still available. If you didn't jump far enough to trigger Leap Attack, then you just ignore the feat.

So long as you have at least one skill rank and there are no obstacles or terrain features along your path, it looks like there's no risk of falling prone, although if a DM sees you roll a '1' or you manage to miss your target by 5 or more, a DM is likely to declare that you've fallen or encountered some negative consequence just for giggles.

there is no automatic failure on a 1 for skill checks, and you can never be rendered prone if you have at least 1 rank in jump.

Darrin
2018-03-18, 09:24 PM
there is no automatic failure on a 1 for skill checks, and you can never be rendered prone if you have at least 1 rank in jump.

I am aware of that. However, a lot of DM's will see a '1' and insist on imposing a "critical fumble" result to make the narrative more interesting.

Venger
2018-03-18, 09:29 PM
I am aware of that. However, a lot of DM's will see a '1' and insist on imposing a "critical fumble" result to make the narrative more interesting.

ah, ok. yeah, that's a good red flag.

Pleh
2018-03-19, 04:18 AM
ah, ok. yeah, that's a good red flag.

Nah. Some tables like fumbles. This forum has a particular brand of game the is traumatized by people who handled fumbles really badly.

Being prone for attempting a jump untrained is certainly not the end of the world.

Mars Ultor
2018-03-19, 05:42 AM
The feat specfies 10' of horizontal distance, so no, unfortunately you definitely can't jump up and down to trigger the feat. Also, high jumps are a DC of 4 times the height in feet, not 2, so even if jumping 10 feet straight up did it, that would be a DC of 40.

It's a long jump, I'm not jumping for height. As you noted, Leap Attack requires you jump at least 10' horizontally.

Drelua
2018-03-19, 09:19 AM
It's a long jump, I'm not jumping for height. As you noted, Leap Attack requires you jump at least 10' horizontally.

Oh, my bad, I misunderstood. In that case my only advice would be to maybe increase your speed since that gives a bonus to jumps, a +4 for every 10' over 30. Boots of striding and springing would give a total bonus of +9, which would get you automatically succeeding. A level of barbarian or travel cleric would also help get you succeeding on a 4