PDA

View Full Version : [SF] No SF sub-forum I can find, so posting here: Need help with weapon/armor system.

elanfanboy
2018-03-18, 07:41 PM
So, I was getting really interested in the starfinder system developed by paizo, but once I got to the weopons and armor section, and it kind of confused me.

If you don't know how it works, the weapons you use are very limeted at first level, you basically have a few options of each weapon type, and as you progress, you can buy more expensive weapons that deal more damage and have cooler names.

My problem with this, is that I find it hard to justify the fact that these weapons are completely unavailable to the PCs until they reach the level that they do become available. The only idea I had was making it as a constant stream of recently developed updates, but that would be happening a lot, and for every weapon at once, which would still be very strange.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to logically explain this without completely editing the equipment system?
:smallconfused:

carefull_pick
2018-03-18, 09:17 PM
Starfinder Core Rulebook page 167 says the following:
Rather than meticulously track every arms dealer, contact, guild, and license a character has access to, the game assumes that in typical settlements you can find and purchase anything with an item level no greater than your character level + 1, and at major settlements items up to your character level + 2. The GM can restrict access to some items (even those of an appropriate level) or make items of a higher level available for purchase (possibly at a greatly increased price or in return for a favor done for the seller)

elanfanboy
2018-03-18, 09:57 PM
so basically they are just more rare?

carefull_pick
2018-03-18, 10:46 PM
Basically that....

The best way I’ve had it explained to me is this:

Higher level gear is more expensive gear, sold implicitly by higher end, more exclusive dealers. The level requirement also covers "Actually getting an appointment with a dealer who will let you in the front door and give you the time of day".

Having sufficient level means that the Future Ferrari Dealer doesn't waste bin your appointment request as being from some window shopper just looking to test drive for fun. After all, "real" shoppers will have suitable credit ratings, since nobody purchases something this high end in cash. . . well, unless they actually *do* have a reputation for being filthy rich and buying luxury cars with wads of hundreds. Said public reputation *also* being a valid aspect of level.

Now, you could go to a store that doesn't care about credit ratings or the appearance of propriety, they just care if the money is good, preferably in cash right now, no refunds. However, those kinds of sketchier establishments are *also* the ones where you'd need a reputation to do business there, because they don't want to be cheated or caught in some law enforcement operation. If you don't smell right, they'll show you the door ( or possibly shoot you, if its sketchy enough ). The rep and savvy to deal with such, *also* a valid aspect of level.

Telok
2018-03-19, 11:17 AM
The d20 subforum here is usually where Starfinder stuff ends up.

The gear stuff is just a game thing you have to accept and turn a blind eye to it's sillyness. Handcuffs being 4th level, quadcopters being 6th, and a non trivial door lock costing $3600. Plus the weird quirk where computers don't seem to have an item level.

elanfanboy
2018-03-19, 10:41 PM
It makes the system feel very MMO, and I hope it doesn't carry to pathfinder 2e. :smallsigh: