PDA

View Full Version : How a necromancer and a paladin became buddies.

NecroDancer
2018-03-19, 10:24 AM
Now you might assume that a paladin would hate a necromancer, that's what I thought when I rolled up a dread necromancer character and my friend became a paladin (there was no character planning in advance).

At first there was some clashes between the happy-go-lucky necromancer Brody-Todd and the by-the-book paladin/cop Officer Boreal. Brody-Todd had to disguise his zombies as deaf/mute lepers while Offer Boreal had to wrestle with his conscious whenever he helped the necromancer.

However when we had to defend a village against a barbarian menace our party realized that the village needed more defenders. As danger loomed, a group of villagers asked Brody-Todd to animate the village's graveyard as a last ditch effort and Brody-Todd agreed.

Officer Boreal decided enough was enough and choose to kill Brody-Todd to stop a potential zombie army and stop the growing acceptance of Brody-Todd's necromancy. As Officer Boreal raised his sword and prepared to smite down the necromancer, but to Boreal's surprise his sword didn't glow with divine light and he felt his powers leave. Boreal now fallen decided to leave the village in shame as everyone prepared to fight off the approaching barbarian horde with the help of the zombies.

As the battle waged on into the night all seemed lost, the villagers were being overwhelmed, the party was low on resources, and Brody-Todd's zombie army was almost gone. Things got worse when a barbarian critted on Brody-Todd and was about to kill him.

As the barbarian raised his axe to end Brody-Todd's life he was suddenly cut down. The fallen Officer Boreal had come back, carving through the barbarians without his powers in order to reach the heavily wounded Brody-Todd. As Boreal looked down upon the necromancer he reached down and offered a hand, Brody-Todd hesitantly took it and to everyone's surprise he was healed by it, Officer Boreal had regained his Lay on Hands ability, Officer Boreal had just gained redemption.

As necromancer and paladin stood shocked they both turned to the battle, Brody-Todd raised his hands which crackled with necrotic energy and Officer Boreal raised his sword which flowed with radiance, the comrades rushed back into the fray and became the saviors of the town that day.

BowStreetRunner
2018-03-19, 11:18 AM
Some players & DMs might not approve of atonement without the spell itself, but frankly I like it.

I've played in a campaign with a LN Necromancer who had a Paladin/Crusader/Ruby Knight Vindicator as cohort, so think the whole 'paladins hate necromancers' thing can be a bit overly simplistic. I'm always happy to see people take a more creative approach to the whole concept.

Karl Aegis
2018-03-19, 02:09 PM
So... was it worth the spell slot(s)? Villager zombies don't seem much better than the area disables that fourth level spells are capable of or the undead summoned by Summon Undead IV.

Starbuck_II
2018-03-19, 02:47 PM
So... was it worth the spell slot(s)? Villager zombies don't seem much better than the area disables that fourth level spells are capable of or the undead summoned by Summon Undead IV.

If done the same day sure, but if done the night before, it would.