PDA

View Full Version : After Death

pendell
2018-03-19, 11:05 AM
Seen in iRelease (http://irelease.org/scientists-found-that-the-soul-doesnt-die-it-goes-back-to-the-universe/)

It turns out that the human brain could be similar to a “biological computer,” and that human consciousness may be like a program which is run by a quantum computer within the brain. What’s even more astonishing is that after someone dies, “their soul comes back to the universe, and it does not die.”

This is all according to American physicist Dr. Stuart Hameroff and mathematical physicist Sir Roger Penrose, both of whom argue that the soul is maintained in micro-tubules of brain cells. The two scientists refer to this process as “Orchestrated Objective Reduction,” or “Orch-OR.” Allegedly, when human beings are “clinically dead,” microtubules in the brain lose their quantum state but are still able to retain the information inside of them.

This theory was recently outlined on The Science Channel’s ongoing documentary show Through the Wormhole, in which Dr. Hameroff elaborates: “Let’s say the heart stops beating, the blood stops flowing; the micro-tubules lose their quantum state. The quantum information within the micro-tubules is not destroyed, it can’t be destroyed, and it just distributes and dissipates to the universe at large.

If the patient is resuscitated, revived, this quantum information can go back into the micro-tubules and the patient says ‘I had a near-death experience.’ If they’re not revived, and the patient dies, it’s possible that this quantum information can exist outside the body, perhaps indefinitely, as a soul.”

So evidently this idea has been around awhile ; it has a wikipedia article under Orchestrated Objective Reduction (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orchestrated_objective_reduction)

And there is a healthy batch of issues with the idea listed under criticism, which I spoiler for length.

The Orch-OR theory was criticized by scientists who considered it to be a poor model of brain physiology.[18][20][37][irrelevant citation]

Penrose–Lucas argument
The Penrose–Lucas argument about the implications of Gödel's incompleteness theorem for computational theories of human intelligence was criticized by mathematicians,[9][10][11] computer scientists,[17] and philosophers,[12][13][14][15][16] and the consensus among experts in these fields is that the argument fails,[45][46][47] with different authors attacking different aspects of the argument.[47][48]

LaForte pointed out that in order to know the truth of an unprovable Gödel sentence, one must already know the formal system is consistent. Referencing Benacerraf, he then demonstrated that humans cannot prove that they are consistent,[9] and in all likelihood human brains are inconsistent. He pointed to contradictions within Penrose's own writings as examples. Similarly, Minsky argued that because humans can believe false ideas to be true, human mathematical understanding need not be consistent and consciousness may easily have a deterministic basis.[49]

Feferman faulted detailed points in Penrose's second book, Shadows of the Mind. He argued that mathematicians do not progress by mechanistic search through proofs, but by trial-and-error reasoning, insight and inspiration, and that machines do not share this approach with humans. He pointed out that everyday mathematics can be formalized. He also rejected Penrose's Platonism.[10]

Searle criticized Penrose's appeal to Gödel as resting on the fallacy that all computational algorithms must be capable of mathematical description. As a counter-example, Searle cited the assignment of license plate numbers to specific vehicle identification numbers, as part of vehicle registration. According to Searle, no mathematical function can be used to connect a known VIN with its LPN, but the process of assignment is quite simple—namely, "first come, first served"—and can be performed entirely by a computer. However, since an algorithm (as defined in the Oxford American Dictionary) is a 'set of rules to be followed in calculations or problem-solving operations', the assignment of LPN to a VIN is not an algorithm as such, merely the use of a database in which every VIN has a corresponding LPN. No algorithm could arbitrarily 'compute' database assignments. Thus, Searle's counter-example does not describe a computational algorithm that is not mathematically describable.[50]

Decoherence in living organisms
In 2000 Tegmark claimed that any quantum coherent system in the brain would undergo effective wave function collapse due to environmental interaction long before it could influence neural processes (the "warm, wet and noisy" argument, as it was later came to be known).[18] He determined the decoherence timescale of microtubule entanglement at brain temperatures to be on the order of femtoseconds, far too brief for neural processing. Other scientists sided with Tegmark's analysis, insisting that quantum coherence does not play, or does not need to play any major role in neurophysiology.[21][22][irrelevant citation]

In response to Tegmark's claims, Hagan, Tuszynski and Hameroff[51][52] claimed that Tegmark did not address the Orch-OR model, but instead a model of his own construction. This involved superpositions of quanta separated by 24 nm rather than the much smaller separations stipulated for Orch-OR. As a result, Hameroff's group claimed a decoherence time seven orders of magnitude greater than Tegmark's, although still far below 25 ms. Hameroff's group also suggested that the Debye layer of counterions could screen thermal fluctuations, and that the surrounding actin gel might enhance the ordering of water, further screening noise. They also suggested that incoherent metabolic energy could further order water, and finally that the configuration of the microtubule lattice might be suitable for quantum error correction, a means of resisting quantum decoherence.

Since the 90's numerous counter-observations to the "warm, wet and noisy" argument existed at ambient temperatures, in vitro[23][42] and in vivo (i.e. photosynthesis, bird navigation). For example, Harvard researchers achieved quantum states lasting for 2 sec at room temperatures using diamonds.[53] Plants routinely use quantum-coherent electron transport at ambient temperatures in photosynthesis.[54] In 2014, researchers used theoretical quantum biophysics and computer simulations to analyze quantum coherence among tryptophan π resonance rings in tubulin. They claimed that quantum dipole coupling among tryptophan π resonance clouds, mediated by exciton hopping or Forster resonance energy transfer (FRET) across the tubulin protein are plausible.[55]

In 2007, Gregory S. Engel[who?] claimed that all arguments concerning the brain being "too warm and wet" have been dispelled, as multiple "warm and wet" quantum processes have been discovered.[56][57]

In 2009, Reimers et al. and McKemmish et al., published critical assessments.[19][37][58] Earlier versions of the theory had required tubulin-electrons to form either Bose–Einsteins or Frohlich condensates, and the Reimers group claimed that these were experimentally unfounded. Additionally they claimed that microtubules could only support 'weak' 8 MHz coherence. The first argument was voided by revisions of the theory that described dipole oscillations due to London forces and possibly due to magnetic and/or nuclear spin cloud formations.[6] On the second issue the theory was retrofitted so that 8 MHz coherence is sufficient to support the whole Orch-OR hypothesis.

McKemmish et al. made two claims: that aromatic molecules cannot switch states because they are delocalised; and that changes in tubulin protein-conformation driven by GTP conversion would result in a prohibitive energy requirement. Hameroff and Penrose responded to the first claim by stating that they were referring to the behaviour of two or more electron clouds, inherently non-localised. For the second claim they stated that no GTP conversion is needed since (in that version of the theory) the conformation-switching is not necessary, replaced by oscillation due to the London forces produced by the electron cloud dipole states.

Neuron cell biology
In 1998, Hameroff proposed that microtubule coherence reaches the synapses via dendritic lamellar bodies (DLBs), where it could influence synaptic firing and be transmitted across the synaptic cleft.[20][59] De Zeeuw et al. had already proved this to be impossible in 1995,[60] by showing that DLBs are located micrometers away from gap junctions. Bandyopadhyay et. al. speculated that this issue might be resolved if their notion of wireless transmission of information globally across the entire brain is proven.[61] Hameroff and Penrose doubt whether such a wireless transmission would be capable of transmitting superimposed quantum-states.[6]

Hameroff's 1998 hypothesis required that cortical dendrites contain primarily 'A' lattice microtubules,[41] but in 1994 Kikkawa et al.[62][63] showed that all in vivo microtubules have a 'B' lattice and a seam. Then Bandyopadhyay showed that microtubules can change their structure from B-lattice to A-lattice as part of the processing of information, and that tubulin in microtubules exists in multiple states.[64]

Orch-OR also required gap junctions between neurons and glial cells,[41] yet Binmöller et. al. proved in 1992 that these don't exist.[65] But a 1999 research supported the evidence between neurons and astrocytes.[66]

Hameroff speculated that visual photons in the retina are detected directly by the cones and rods instead of decohering and subsequently connect with the retinal glia cells via gap junctions,[41] but this too was falsified.[67]

Other biology-based criticisms have been offered.[68] Papers by Georgiev[20][59] point to problems with Hameroff's proposals, including a lack of explanation for the probabilistic firing of axonal synapses and an error in the calculated number of the tubulin dimers per cortical neuron. Hameroff insisted in a 2013 interview that those falsifications were invalid.[69]

Does anyone want to take a shot at this? As a layman, I am extremely skeptical. A smashed teacup may contain the same information as it did when intact, but that doesn't mean you can make use of it. Likewise, whatever quantum information is or isn't stored in the brain, it doesn't follow that you could ever reconstruct it in any useful fashion.

It also seems like a great galloping leap of faith between 'storing quantum information' of some sort and "human soul". I don't see how the dots get connected from the first assumption (which is not proven, and also heavily criticized; see spoilers) to the second.

Note: I am a religious believer. And as a believer of several decades I am well aware of the nonsense field that forms around anything whenever people start letting their beliefs cloud their scientific judgement. Science isn't about hope, or should-be's or is-oughtas. It's about fact. That's why I'm leary of scientific ideas that reinforce my own biases; they need double the skepticism that anything else would need, IMO.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Kato
2018-03-19, 12:52 PM
I'm extremely skeptical to be honest but I'm afraid any discussion of this would soon violate forum rules on religious beliefs..
From a purely scientific standpoint.. Until you can measure quantum information leaving the brain people are welcome to believe what they want.. But don't call it science.

wumpus
2018-03-19, 02:20 PM
The name is a giveaway that it is a scam.

"Quantum" sounds nice an fancy, and since people are used to scientists performing "magic" with quantum effects (see quantum computers and quantum cryptography), there is an expectation of suspending disbelief.

The problem is that any quantum state will be subject to the uncertainty principle. So either they are lying about being able to record the state of the brain or they are lying about using quantum effects. In a business that is almost certainly a scam, I certainly don't expect someone I already know to be lying to me to pull off a miracle.

It's a scam.

halfeye
2018-03-19, 03:21 PM

"Quantum" sounds nice an fancy, and since people are used to scientists performing "magic" with quantum effects (see quantum computers and quantum cryptography), there is an expectation of suspending disbelief.

The problem is that any quantum state will be subject to the uncertainty principle. So either they are lying about being able to record the state of the brain or they are lying about using quantum effects. In a business that is almost certainly a scam, I certainly don't expect someone I already know to be lying to me to pull off a miracle.

It's a scam.

It's daft. Penrose is a nutter who has been trying for years to leverage his knowledge of Quantum Gravity (he worked with Hawking) into a proof that the human brain is not analogous to a computer. It is almost certainly not a knowing fraud.

Leewei
2018-03-19, 04:20 PM
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Chen
2018-03-20, 07:29 AM

It's a scam.

Wait what scam? Is there some business attached to this? I thought this was just some theory with no real evidence. Is someone trying to monetize this already? Didn't see it in the article.

Razade
2018-03-20, 07:48 AM
Wait what scam? Is there some business attached to this? I thought this was just some theory with no real evidence. Is someone trying to monetize this already? Didn't see it in the article.

Not really a theory than is it? It barely counts as a hypothesis at this point.

"Quantum stuff is weird and spooky and we're actually immortal" isn't the sort of thing you can test. The fact the article calls it a theory at all shows they're not interested in any form of scientific rigor.

Cespenar
2018-03-20, 07:53 AM
...it’s possible that this quantum information can exist outside the body, perhaps indefinitely, as a soul.”

What does this even mean? It's possible? As a soul? Did he even define a soul?

It all sounds like an extreme stretch with incredible starting biases, and more like a clickbait article than anything.

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-03-21, 06:11 AM
A physicist and a psychologist doing neurosciences.

It's a bit like a rocket scientist and a philosopher performing brain surgery. It's great that you found such smart people for the job, but it might still not be exactly their job.

The reason I would be skeptical, outside of general rules of thumb like the one Leewei rightfully quotes, is this: microtubules are intracellular structures, meaning this soul is distributed or at least works on a cellular level. But we know the working of brain cells as single objects quite well. Each cell is a multifactor-analysis machines counting and weighing dozens of different inputs in real-time and coming up with a single quantitative value as a result. The magic (so to speak) happens in the larger structures. And while I guess microtubules as part of the cytoskeleton could be used to shape and divide the cells and build the larger structures, I also think most research suggests they are not the controlling element here, they follow directions from other organelles like the centrosome and probably all sorts of messenger molecules. I also don't really know how "quantum information" would mean a soul. Best I can guess (but I'm not a quantum-neurologist!) it means that atomic nuclei within microtubules can regain their previous spin when it changes. And their claims aren't even about having spotted any form of quantum information, they are about structures that could possibly interact with quantum information. So there is several leaps of logic and assumptions there, the largest one probably being "so that could mean that this information is stored there but when you die gets transported into some other form where is can then fly to an alternate dimension or some **** and be judged for its past deeds also we still have no idea how if at all this information impacts you while alive".

So I'm filing it as "probably wishful thinking".

wumpus
2018-03-21, 09:19 AM

Here's at least one: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610456/a-startup-is-pitching-a-mind-uploading-service-that-is-100-percent-fatal/

The whole idea assumes that we know how/where "the mind" is stored in the brain, and that this state does not rely on any "hidden variables*" that simply can't be measured. I doubt that copying the "hidden quantum bits" is really necessary, but consider it equally laughable that you could measure the connections and weights of all the neurons. Beyond that you have to "port" that mind to a nvidia Tesla based computer (or google AI cluster, or whatever is the neural net hardware of the day). Even if everything works fine and the new software on the Tesla thinks it's you, do "you" think it's you?

* I don't think the "hidden variable" idea has been believed for decades. But measuring the waveform without collapsing it is almost unheard of, and almost certainly only possible in the most contrived of conditions. Not in measuring electron states wholesale in presumably functional brains (presumably chilled down to "heart bypass state", i.e. the only way to tell if they are dead are alive is to warm them up first and check).

Lvl 2 Expert
2018-03-21, 09:45 AM
Here's at least one: https://www.technologyreview.com/s/610456/a-startup-is-pitching-a-mind-uploading-service-that-is-100-percent-fatal/

Slightly better. Theoretically you could retrace a lot of the functionality of a specific brain if you have a detailed enough idea of the shape and size of each brain cell and all their synapses and have knowledge of how human brains and brain cells are build in general. Memory for at least a part seems to be stored as physical connections between brain cells. Theoretically in practice I figure the best anyone will ever be able to do is use those brains to create a human "that may be representative for the mental capacities of the humans from this time". In actual practice all of those brains are glass curiosities from the moment they're made until the day they are crushed in some landfill after a kid knocked them off the coffee table three or four generations from now at best.

It's also less of a financial burden to future generations than that cryogenic corps freezing nonsense. You take a dead person and damage it some more in order to slow down the rot. Yeah, that's totally going to get them revived in the future.

BeerMug Paladin
2018-03-22, 05:06 AM
"Do not use jargon like quantum" is my personal creed, but please grant me your doubts by pretending it lays in my screed.

A paper inked with familiar symbols contains information, based upon some observer's personal view (or relation).

With such objects sometimes there is torsion-related calamity, tearing which renders meaning inaccessible, an odious malady.

The markings are still there with distinctive injuries where tragedy struck, perhaps what was lost will recover with time and some luck?

Alas, via entropy we know what is expected from fragments still extant, wind will scatter it all: renewal's chances becoming ever more distant.

For what is eternally lost all pieces were equal in need, as much as the memories you make and the decisions you lead.

wumpus
2018-03-22, 01:01 PM
It's also less of a financial burden to future generations than that cryogenic corps freezing nonsense. You take a dead person and damage it some more in order to slow down the rot. Yeah, that's totally going to get them revived in the future.

I'd be surprised if the "damage it some more" removes any state that has to be recovered in such a "human core dump". You need the interconnect of the brain (the "netlist" if it was a circuit board), the firing threshold of the neurons, and the output/level at each neuron is at (this ignores all other cells, which probably do critical thinking things). This entire state is maintained at non-freezing suspended animation (for heart bypass surgery and people recovering from "drowning in icy waters") so it is reasonable to give it a strong chance of surviving freezing (and resulting cell damage). If you need information not present in a frozen brain, you probably aren't going to get it from a living brain (the measurement process would destroy it faster than you could download), in fact I wouldn't be the least surprised if freezing was the first step.

Of course, downloading a long-frozen brain basically multiplies (squares?) the spiritual issues. Not only does a mind/soul have to make the transfer from body to silicon, it also has to have stayed around waiting for the body. To put it bluntly, once you cast "raise dead": do you get Durkon or Greg? The best data (which obviously has *many* issues) is that kids who remember past lives tend to be from within a decade or so (I suspect that a soul in a new body wouldn't be drawn back to a waiting GPU). Granted, this is a *tiny* slice in a sea of null data, so it isn't clear what happens to the remaining 99.99+%. And that is with bio-hosts, good luck with silicon hosts.

This isn't to say that it wouldn't make a lot of sense to suddenly freeze EMT patients with non-viable bodies for brain core dumping (well other than having a lot of liquid nitrogen on board and the dangers of a leak, but hopefully they would have that equipment to freeze patients to non-cell destroying levels to extend the "golden hour"). The time delay shouldn't be more of a problem than a typical download.

It also screams for a story where a Howard Hughes has "raise dead" cast on him and a sizeable amount of all other recovered minds claim to be the "real Howard Hughes". In such a case the "Greg" has all the memories stored in the brain and would presumably "do what Durkon would do" without conscious effort. The "real" Durkon would almost certainly have highly abbreviated memories (if such Durkon existed and retained memories, which is almost certainly not going to happen). I can't imagine a judge not imposing a "finders keepers" rule from then on.

Lacuna Caster
2018-04-07, 05:48 AM

I'd be surprised if the "damage it some more" removes any state that has to be recovered in such a "human core dump". You need the interconnect of the brain (the "netlist" if it was a circuit board), the firing threshold of the neurons, and the output/level at each neuron is at (this ignores all other cells, which probably do critical thinking things). This entire state is maintained at non-freezing suspended animation (for heart bypass surgery and people recovering from "drowning in icy waters") so it is reasonable to give it a strong chance of surviving freezing (and resulting cell damage). If you need information not present in a frozen brain, you probably aren't going to get it from a living brain (the measurement process would destroy it faster than you could download), in fact I wouldn't be the least surprised if freezing was the first step.

Of course, downloading a long-frozen brain basically multiplies (squares?) the spiritual issues. Not only does a mind/soul have to make the transfer from body to silicon, it also has to have stayed around waiting for the body. To put it bluntly, once you cast "raise dead": do you get Durkon or Greg?
I entirely agree with the first part of wumpus' analysis.

However, I think that OOTS, as a stick-figure fantasy webcomic, has fairly limited application to real-world debates over existential neuroscience. And... while we're all being so scientific, I feel compelled to add there is little or no empirical evidence to suggest the existence of the mind/soul as something spiritually distinct from 'what the brain does'. My perspective is that if you clone someone's information, great, now there are two of them.

halfeye
2018-04-07, 08:52 AM
However, I think that OOTS, as a stick-figure fantasy webcomic, has fairly limited application to real-world debates over existential neuroscience.

As an analogy, it seems apt to me.

And... while we're all being so scientific, I feel compelled to add there is little or no empirical evidence to suggest the existence of the mind/soul as something spiritually distinct from 'what the brain does'. My perspective is that if you clone someone's information, great, now there are two of them.

There is no evidence of any connection between the brain and anything except via the nerves.

The only case for an afterlife is if it's all a simulation which is stopping and starting all the time without us being aware of the stops, in which case a person's mind could be taken out of the simulation and stored at any point, however, there was a thing a little while ago where it was pretty much proved that the world isn't a simulation.

https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/10/02/160217/were-not-living-in-a-computer-simulation-new-research-shows

wumpus
2018-04-08, 10:54 AM
I entirely agree with the first part of wumpus' analysis.

However, I think that OOTS, as a stick-figure fantasy webcomic, has fairly limited application to real-world debates over existential neuroscience. And... while we're all being so scientific, I feel compelled to add there is little or no empirical evidence to suggest the existence of the mind/soul as something spiritually distinct from 'what the brain does'. My perspective is that if you clone someone's information, great, now there are two of them.

My use of "Durkon", "Greg", and "Raise Dead" were meant only as basic terminology. I hardly feel that we need worry about our bodies being filled with a spirit of pure evil send by the goddess of the dead. In fact, I'd go so far as to assume that "whoever" winds up "inhabiting" a downloaded mind would be absolutely convinced that they were the original inhabitant (the brain would have full access to the memories, same as the original soul), regardless of whether the original made the jump or not.

Knaight
2018-04-08, 01:21 PM
Two physicists proposing a radical biology proposal out of nowhere, while not working with biologists - sound familiar? It's one of those formulas that tends to produce all sorts of ridiculous nonsense, and this is no exception. We'll start with how cell signaling is a fairly developed field with a whole bunch of larger scale effects, such as sending calcium ions, which are definitely not a quantum effect.

Then there's the sourcing here - credulous news sites backed up by other credulous news sites citing documentaries, and nary an academic journal to be found. This doesn't bode well.

deuterio12
2018-04-09, 03:51 AM
If they're saying there are souls outside bodies, they need to come up with a model that allows us to find souls outside bodies, test it and show us reliable positive results.

If they can't come up with a test to prove some bit of theory, then it's just noise. It doesn't matter if the soul is some magic quantum state if you can't actually interact with it in any known way.

wumpus
2018-04-09, 09:45 AM
Two physicists proposing a radical biology proposal out of nowhere, while not working with biologists - sound familiar?

Besides the obvious problem of an "expert" in one field assuming he is therefore an expert in all other fields, their in the inherent assumption of physicists that if you sufficiently know the most fundamental mechanisms, all else is an emergent property. In reality, unless you really understand the emergent properties, you never know just which fundamental details are critical, nor to what accuracy they matter. Since the idea is to create a computer simulation of these "non-understood emergent properties", the required complexity is essentially non-computable.

For example, it might well be possible to simulate a neural net the size of the human brain on a computer. The catch is, it would fundamentally be a different neural net than we have. One reason computers can be designed to ridiculous levels of complexity is using an synchronous design rule: all functions must be complete before the clock edge hits and no new functions can start until then (the speed that this happens is the "GHz" in your computer). Brains are asynchronous: they fire or not depending on the input and none of them are "clock" signals [unless someone has found something peculiar to cause those EEG frequencies in the brain]. This means that any simulation has to be excruciatingly careful about timing and delay (make sure the delay is accurate for each length of neuron). The point is while a nVidia Tesla (or Google's competition) might be able to bang out matrices all day, you can't look at a human brain and expect any way to download it. The difference is similar to cross-compiling code vs. emulating the entire CPU in spice (a circuit simulation program). I *think* you can emulate a 6502 [the heart of the Apple 2, Commodore 64, and Atari 2600] (down to the transistors, see the visual 6502 project) in real time, but that's about it (and a 6502 is several million times slower than a modern PC).

That's far too much effort to debunk the issue of an expert talking outside his field, but it shows a virtual show stopper obvious to a non-expert in a field not connected to the two fields in question. This "my job is hard, everybody else should get the rest complete immediately" completely misses the point that it is highly unlikely that current physics can measure all the properties to the needed precision (which we don't even know) [and ignores the issue that if it was actually "quantum", it is likely physically impossible to make such measurements].

Note that I'm not saying that this is impossible. Just that it isn't going to happen this century. All the "big show stoppers" may be avoidable with sufficient understanding of how the brain works, just don't try to do things when all you know is how neurons fire. Curious note: The "visual 6502" project mentioned was used in a paper to question the effectiveness of the methods neuroscience uses to understand the brain. They used the visual 6520 software (and they understood how a 6502 works) and damaged various bits and performed standard analysis and got completely the wrong results. I wouldn't call it a "debunking", but it certainly stands as a cautionary tale.

If they're saying there are souls outside bodies, they need to come up with a model that allows us to find souls outside bodies, test it and show us reliable positive results.

If they can't come up with a test to prove some bit of theory, then it's just noise. It doesn't matter if the soul is some magic quantum state if you can't actually interact with it in any known way.

It would be quite possible for "Greg" (or some other mature [in this case possessing language abilities] soul with memories between the death of the original host and the running of the simulation) to out himself. No other outcomes appear provable.

Which leads us to another problem. Since the whole idea is essentially scientifically undecidable (and expect fraudulent attempts to prove the "Greg" case, either for or against such downloads), it leads to a Pascal's Wager. Like human cryogenics, this leads to the ultimate lemon market where providers of "immortality" need only the slimmest of hopes to grab customers and have zero reason to improve their methods (the chance of it working is irrelevant to Pascal's logic).

PS: Dr. Ian Stevenson has done a lot of research trying to prove such, and has published at least some data that indicates that it works that way. Still, his methods require extremely rare conditions to occur, and a more careful probability analysis would probably come to the same conclusion that science mainstream has: "souls"? Bah!

warmachine
2018-04-09, 10:15 AM
I really need to study quantum mechanics to a greater detail. To me, the idea that information cannot be lost is absurd. Much of the information of a complex system is an emergent property of its structure, interactions and energy states of all of its components and subcomponents. Disassemble a car into its component pieces and information about the functioning car is gone. Reassemble the car and the information is recreated.

So, for me, the idea of the information of a human consciousness, the soul, being immortal is nonsense.

Lord Torath
2018-04-09, 02:03 PM
"Do not use jargon like quantum" is my personal creed, but please grant me your doubts by pretending it lays in my screed.

A paper inked with familiar symbols contains information, based upon some observer's personal view (or relation).

With such objects sometimes there is torsion-related calamity, tearing which renders meaning inaccessible, an odious malady.

The markings are still there with distinctive injuries where tragedy struck, perhaps what was lost will recover with time and some luck?

Alas, via entropy we know what is expected from fragments still extant, wind will scatter it all: renewal's chances becoming ever more distant.

For what is eternally lost all pieces were equal in need, as much as the memories you make and the decisions you lead.Very nice! Thank you for sharing that!

I really need to study quantum mechanics to a greater detail. To me, the idea that information cannot be lost is absurd. Much of the information of a complex system is an emergent property of its structure, interactions and energy states of all of its components and subcomponents. Disassemble a car into its component pieces and information about the functioning car is gone. Reassemble the car and the information is recreated.

So, for me, the idea of the information of a human consciousness, the soul, being immortal is nonsense.In your disassembled car analogy, though the mating parts of the car will have marks showing they were mated to each other. The nuts on the wheel lugs might have no information regarding the exhaust system, but they'll store information about the stresses they bore during operation of the vehicle. This could conceivably give you standard and maximum operating speeds, maximum torque (giving information on motor horsepower and transmission function), intensities of shocks (hitting bumps at high speed), and even locations traveled (based on the composition of accumulated grit). So if you have all the pieces, you could re-assemble the thing, just based on information "encoded" on the components.

On the other hand, if you melt down those components, I'd argue that all that information is gone. Which probably just goes to show that I don't understand this topic nearly well enough to be commenting about it. :smallamused:

BeerMug Paladin
2018-04-10, 04:54 AM
I really need to study quantum mechanics to a greater detail. To me, the idea that information cannot be lost is absurd.

On the other hand, if you melt down those components, I'd argue that all that information is gone. Which probably just goes to show that I don't understand this topic nearly well enough to be commenting about it. :smallamused:
When physicists talk about quantum "information", they are talking about something quite different (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_information) than what most people understand the word to be. To name just one other difference (besides can't be destroyed), the specific type of "information" they are talking about is also impossible to copy.

Oh, and the best summary of quantum mechanics was given by Professor Farnsworth (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/QuantumMechanicsCanDoAnything).

Very nice! Thank you for sharing that!
You're welcome.

veti
2018-04-10, 05:16 AM
So, for me, the idea of the information of a human consciousness, the soul, being immortal is nonsense.

I'd just like to drop in a book recommendation here. Douglas Hofstadter, of 'Goedel, Escher, Bach' fame, published a followup about 10 years ago called 'I am a strange loop'. It describes, in not-entirely-precise but nevertheless accessible and persuasive mathematical terms, what a soul is and how it survives death.

His answer is neither religious nor magical, nor quantum. And no, you don't get to come back from the dead in any form. But you do, kinda, continue.

Jay R
2018-04-13, 10:21 PM
I have lots of cool things I'd like to contribute to this thread.

Unfortunately, all of them are against the rules of the forum.