PDA

View Full Version : Centars and mounted combat feats?

Guinea Anubis
2007-08-30, 12:20 PM
are there rules for a Centar taking the mounted combat feats?

JackMage666
2007-08-30, 12:49 PM
No, but they'd have to be Mounted on something.

Generally in the feats, they state "your mount" or some such thing, clarifying the difference of "the mount" and "yourself".

So, yes, if they trained a Elephant to bear their awkward weight, then they could. They could take it even if they didn't have a mount, though it wouldn't do much good. They cannot, however, take Mounted Combat, and make a Ride check to negate a hit.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-30, 01:56 PM
No, but they'd have to be Mounted on something.

Generally in the feats, they state "your mount" or some such thing, clarifying the difference of "the mount" and "yourself".

So, yes, if they trained a Elephant to bear their awkward weight, then they could. They could take it even if they didn't have a mount, though it wouldn't do much good. They cannot, however, take Mounted Combat, and make a Ride check to negate a hit.

QFT that would be all kinds of silly.

DM: The blackguards sword slashes downward, cutting a deep gash in your left flank.
Player: I make a ride check to negate the hit. Nat 20!
DM: .... er?
Player: I ride myself out of the way.

PinkysBrain
2007-08-30, 02:07 PM
RoF says they meet the prereqs for and can use spirited charge.

AKA_Bait
2007-08-30, 02:09 PM
RoF says they meet the prereqs for and can use spirited charge.

Well that makes some sense at least.

Matthew
2007-08-30, 06:00 PM
Very little about the Mounted Combat Feats and Mounted Combat in general makes very good sense once you start looking at it closely. At least you always know who is doing the Charging when it's a Centaur!

Fhaolan
2007-08-30, 07:09 PM
The various mounted combat feats don't really make much sense when applied to a Centaur, when you think about it. The point of these feats is to make the mount more useful and survivable.

Mounted Combat makes no sense at all.
Mounted Archery for a Centaur is really Shot on the Run.
Ride By Attack for a Centaur is really Spring Attack.
Trample for a Centaur is really Improved Overrun.

The only one in the SRD that doesn't have a 'normal' equivalent is Spirited Charge, which is actually a surprising oversight. I would have thought that Spring Attack would have a follow on 'Screaming Charge' or something similar. :)

TheOOB
2007-08-30, 07:33 PM
Leap attack, shock trooper, and power attack not good enough on a charge for yah?

I would let centaurs, and other similar races, use spring attack as a prerequisite for a prerequisite for spirited charge rather then ride by attack, but thats hardly RAW.

Fhaolan
2007-08-31, 12:05 AM
I'm using SRD right now, so I'm not 100% sure what the text for Leap Attack and Shock Trooper are. Power Attack, while good, isn't the 100% analog of Spirited Charge like the other ones are of the Mounted Combat-tree feats. :smallsmile:

horseboy
2007-08-31, 12:34 AM
Trample for a Centaur is really Improved Overrun.

Heroforge lists in Races of the Wild a centaur specific version of this.