PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Party Suggestions

ZamielVanWeber
2018-03-19, 02:52 PM
So a friend wants to take a stab DMing Pathfinder and is running an AP. Our party is thus far a Tiefling Wizard, a Ratfolk Alchemist, an ElvenVampire Hunter, me a Suli Song weaver Cantor, and one player who is suffering the classic 3.blah option overload.

So some questions
1) Any suggestions on how to adjudicate how Cantor's weird bonus spells work? They get extra spells known instead of spells to cast. You can find the wording under Maestor on the PFSRD (on phone sorry.)

2) Any thoughts where to direct option overloaded man? The DM is trying to avoid learning new subsystems so KISS is preferable thank you.

3) Opinions on Theurge the 3rd party class? This is a new DM and I want to make sure the game does not blow up at all. The class seems a bit dubious to me but my experience is concentrated in 3.5 where it would be easier to break than not so I am not 100% confidant of my opinion here. (Option overload guy was immediately enchanted by it, not that I can blame him)

Firest Kathon
2018-03-19, 04:31 PM
1) Any suggestions on how to adjudicate how Cantor's weird bonus spells work? They get extra spells known instead of spells to cast. You can find the wording under Maestor on the PFSRD (on phone sorry.)

I'm not sure what your question is, the ability seems rather straighforward (if strange). However the SRD seems to miss the tables "Maestro Spells Known", if you don't have the original source available you could use e.g. the bard table. Using this and assuming 16 Charisma, a level 5 Maestro would have 6 0th-level spells, 4+1 1st-level spells, and 3+1 2nd-level spells known which could each be cast 1/day.

2) Any thoughts where to direct option overloaded man? The DM is trying to avoid learning new subsystems so KISS is preferable thank you.

A divine caster would probably not hurt your group, so cleric/oracle for a straight caster or inquisitor/warpriest for a more martial approach.

3) Opinions on Theurge the 3rd party class? This is a new DM and I want to make sure the game does not blow up at all. The class seems a bit dubious to me but my experience is concentrated in 3.5 where it would be easier to break than not so I am not 100% confidant of my opinion here. (Option overload guy was immediately enchanted by it, not that I can blame him)

It looks quite good after a quick readthrough, I don't think it would break the game worse than a plain Wizard or Cleric would. One thing to consider is that Innate Spells can be used to avoid paying material components, so you may want to limit it to spells without expensive material components if you are worried. Make sure the spell level limits for the abilities are all considered and you should be fine. Also, you (or rather the DM) should make clear from the beginning double-advancing prestige classes (e.g. Mystic Theurge) do not add twice to this class for each level, that's the only obvious abuse I can see right now.

The only problem I see is that with two huge spell lists to choose from, the player might now suffer even worse option overload, especially once they start filling their spell- and playerbooks...