PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Chaotic Good playing with Lawful Evil?

Swomp Fox
2018-03-19, 03:29 PM
So in our campaign I’m playing a chaotic good dwarf cleric and a few other players in some form of good or neutral but we have one player who is lawful evil and a pirate captain and to my knowledge he will kill and steal for the safety and well being of his boat or money and he refuses to kill children or wemen. One thing he has mentioned if that if he took prisoners he would look them in the exsotic animal cages where if they were eaten meh what ever. Now as CG I’m unsure how I should react to something like that because I see myself more like is it for the greater good? Would feeding these people (not ithe “inocent”) to the animals keep them alive to make money to say give to the poor?

I’m really trying to find a way not to have to fight with him potentially on a to the death scale... pretty sure I’d lose 😂.

I could see the pirating as ok with my alignment if it was for the good others (Robin Hood style) but not for torturing or murdering (the feeding to animals) or selling people into slavory at least I think but I’m not entirely sure some better guidance on CG playing with LE would be most appreciated!!

DeTess
2018-03-19, 04:30 PM
So in our campaign I’m playing a chaotic good dwarf cleric and a few other players in some form of good or neutral but we have one player who is lawful evil and a pirate captain and to my knowledge he will kill and steal for the safety and well being of his boat or money and he refuses to kill children or wemen. One thing he has mentioned if that if he took prisoners he would look them in the exsotic animal cages where if they were eaten meh what ever. Now as CG I’m unsure how I should react to something like that because I see myself more like is it for the greater good? Would feeding these people (not ithe “inocent”) to the animals keep them alive to make money to say give to the poor?

I’m really trying to find a way not to have to fight with him potentially on a to the death scale... pretty sure I’d lose 😂.

I could see the pirating as ok with my alignment if it was for the good others (Robin Hood style) but not for torturing or murdering (the feeding to animals) or selling people into slavory at least I think but I’m not entirely sure some better guidance on CG playing with LE would be most appreciated!!

Talk this out with the LE player OOC, and include all the other players as well. Make sure he knows what your party-breaking tresh-hold is, but also be willing to not have your character follow him around like fantasy-Javert to find out about all the evil stuff he does behind your back (if it isn't affecting you). If he's playing a proper LE character then there's a good reason why he's keeping the rest of you around, and he'd be willing to sacrifice some of his personal pleasures to keep you guys around.

Really, though, this sounds like something that should have been handled during session 0. If you hadn't had that yet, maybe have one now to agree why the lot of you are working together. Make sure the reasons for working together are good enough that both sides are willing to compromise in the spirit of team-work. But most of all ensure that everyone knows OOC where the breaking points are on acceptable behaviour, and understands that reaching that point will result in the party splitting and some people having to make new characters.

ThatBoostedNoob
2018-03-19, 04:41 PM
Talk this out with the LE player OOC, and include all the other players as well. Make sure he knows what your party-breaking tresh-hold is, but also be willing to not have your character follow him around like fantasy-Javert to find out about all the evil stuff he does behind your back (if it isn't affecting you). If he's playing a proper LE character then there's a good reason why he's keeping the rest of you around, and he'd be willing to sacrifice some of his personal pleasures to keep you guys around.

Really, though, this sounds like something that should have been handled during session 0. If you hadn't had that yet, maybe have one now to agree why the lot of you are working together. Make sure the reasons for working together are good enough that both sides are willing to compromise in the spirit of team-work. But most of all ensure that everyone knows OOC where the breaking point on acceptable behaviour, and understands that reaching that point will result in the party splitting and some people having to make new characters.

I agree with this post. I also feel that the alignment system is a bit of a trap that people get stuck in sometimes. Its not that good and evil people can never work together (especially if the evil person is really clever).... its more of a question of why are they working together. You as the players usually have a lot of creative freedom in how we present good and evil. You are an evil person... why are you with these people? Why did you chose this group over another? These are excellent roleplaying opportunities and chances to turn another boring adventure into something more. Alignments are guidelines to help flesh out your character.... not the reasons for their actions. Even evil people have their reasons for their actions. I would never accept "because this is my alignment" as justification for any players actions. Really consider your characters goals... both long and short term. Otherwise your basically playing on autopilot. These are roleplaying games... role play. Make a person not a character sheet. This isnt a problem.. its an opportunity to create a really coll story... if someone dies... be happy. You just got another interesting plot point. Hope this helps... it wasnt meant to sound preachy. Good luck.