PDA

View Full Version : Crafting stuff

Dmdork
2018-03-19, 05:45 PM
HotDQ has an alchemical weapon that the kobolds make called the fire bomb/glue bomb. One of my players wants to make some. What would be the logistics of that? Provided he had the materials, how much time, gold, and what kind of a check should he make?

Unoriginal
2018-03-19, 05:58 PM
HotDQ has an alchemical weapon that the kobolds make called the fire bomb/glue bomb. One of my players wants to make some. What would be the logistics of that? Provided he had the materials, how much time, gold, and what kind of a check should he make?

Is the price of the weapon given? If not, I'd treat it like alchemist's fire.

There are more detailed rules for crafting and for the use of alchemist's kits in the Xanathar's.

IMO I would ask for a DC 20 check to discover the recipe, though. Repeatable every day of downtime they choose to spend on it, until they pass it.

JodyScanlon
2018-03-20, 04:36 AM
It should be something unusual for me! Because usually, I know about something this from familyessay.org research papers. I would like to see what will at the finish! Please, let me know!

Amdy_vill
2018-03-20, 06:21 AM
rope, metal, gunpowder, and something sticky. it would probably take an hour per 2 bombs. this is a very real life explanation. also the metal should be in the shape of bombs and you should base it on a skill. the check should only determined how good the bombs is and only fail on a 1. but this is just my two cent and this is more realistic then d&d usually is in crafting

Unoriginal
2018-03-20, 06:57 AM
rope, metal, gunpowder, and something sticky. it would probably take an hour per 2 bombs. this is a very real life explanation. also the metal should be in the shape of bombs and you should base it on a skill. the check should only determined how good the bombs is and only fail on a 1. but this is just my two cent and this is more realistic then d&d usually is in crafting

It's different if you have to *make* the gunpowder.

Bobbyjackcorn
2018-03-20, 08:45 AM
I'd say simple is better than complicated. I would just discern how many hours/days of work seems appropriate to be able to make one of them, then have the player roll a percentile die, maybe adding relevant modifiers. That roll is how much progress they made on making one in the alotted time.

Unoriginal
2018-03-20, 09:54 AM
I'd say simple is better than complicated. I would just discern how many hours/days of work seems appropriate to be able to make one of them, then have the player roll a percentile die, maybe adding relevant modifiers. That roll is how much progress they made on making one in the alotted time.

Technically in 5e crafting you don't have to do a roll, just spending the time. Which is proportional to the cost.

LordEntrails
2018-03-20, 10:56 AM
Volo's entry on Kobolds has some ideas and info on this. Not sure how much detail. But just use the downtime rules assuming the character has the alchemist's kit and proficiency with it.