PDA

View Full Version : New to 5e

thelastorphan
2018-03-19, 09:04 PM
What books are most necessary outside core? More precisely if I can only afford two more right now, what should they be?

Grear Bylls
2018-03-19, 09:15 PM
Are you planning to DM or not?

If yes: Outside of PHB, pick up the 5e DMG and monster manual. If you don't want to homebrew a campaign, curse of strand is a very good module

If player: Pick up the PHB, as well as Xanathars Guide to Everything. All kinds of players stuff in there. Amazing. If you want, I'd pick up Volos Guide to Monsters for a few more races, but it isn't really a great pick up IMO. I personally don't have it.

thelastorphan
2018-03-19, 09:17 PM
By core I meant I have PHB DMG and MM, but XGtE looks like a really commonly referenced book.

Edit: Yes I plan to GM eventually, its how I like to learn more about a system, forces me to look at the rules more after an initial read through.

Blood of Gaea
2018-03-19, 09:45 PM
If you already have PHB, MM, and DMG, I would 100% recommend XGTE next.

Kane0
2018-03-19, 09:48 PM
The core three are the important ones, Xanathar's Guide is pretty good as your first sourcebook.
For your first adventure book that's a lot more debated, beyond the Lost Mines of Phandelver starter adventure i'm partial to Storm King's Thunder but others will surely pick others as their favorite.

Sigreid
2018-03-19, 10:17 PM
Xanathar's. Then I'd say Tales from the Yawning portal if you want some pre-made content to run or Volo's if you want to strictly do your own stuff.

Armored Walrus
2018-03-19, 10:19 PM
Volo's is worthwhile for a DM, IMO. Many of the monsters there are more flavorful than MM monsters, and there's a lot of fluff info about the most commonly used evil races if you like that stuff.

Beyond that, I don't have any experience with any of the modules except Tales from the Yawning Portal, which is useful if you want some dungeon crawls in your campaign.

CharonsHelper
2018-03-19, 11:00 PM
Curious - what is your previous RPG experience? You're new to 5e, but did you come from other D&D? 4e, 3.x, or even OD&D?

thelastorphan
2018-03-22, 12:18 AM
Been playing 3.5/ pathfinder since 3.5 came out and mostly play and homebrew things. Currently running a PF game and looking into maybe starting some 5e to play around in the system more. I was just looking for some suggestions on what people would consider the must haves to start off with. It's always a little daunting to start buying into a new rpg.

Corsair14
2018-03-22, 07:58 AM
You should have no problem then. 5e is like easy mode from 3.5/PF. In fact if you bring players over to the system they may find themselves cramped with the lack of customizing options and very broad rules when it comes to skills. I found its the easiest game I have ever run off the top of my head after also coming from a 2nd - PF background. You just have to be used to the characters being able to do everything so be ready to ramp up skill DCs higher than you would think to do.

Volos and the other one are pretty good. Also a different monster manual called Tome Of Beast 5e, I think by Kobold Press, is really good. I found the book to be better quality and monsters better than the WOTC 5e MM.

Baptor
2018-03-22, 08:29 AM
What books are most necessary outside core? More precisely if I can only afford two more right now, what should they be?

Here are my recommendations - Note: they are insane and designed to save you money.

Are you the DM?
1. You don't really even need Core. If you're a savvy DM who makes their own content you can get by with the Basic Rules and the SRD.
2. That said, as a DM I feel the DMG is indispensable as a toolbox. Lots of awesome stuff inside.
3. I am not a fan of the Monster Manual. It's pretty but if you have the DMG you can make your own monsters 10x better than the ones in the MM. It is pretty tho...
4. I have not been a fan of any of the additional DM material so far - like Volo's Guide. Unless you like your fluff written for you (and I don't) that half of the book isn't useful. As for the monster stats half, see my comment on the Monster Manual.
5. This is going to sound odd, but if you've got the extra cash, I'd pick up Xanathar's Guide to Everything even as a DM. There are some DM tools inside as well and it's just a very well done book.

Are you a Player?
1. If you are just trying out 5e, I'd grab the Basic rules and make a character there first to see if you like it. No financial commitment.
2. If you like 5e, pickup the Player's Handbook. From there you'll be able to make loads of characters before getting bored.
3. If you get bored, grab Xanathar's Guide to Everything. It's the best supplemental book they've made so far. So many cool things inside.

Amdy_vill
2018-03-22, 08:58 AM
core is all you need but besides that any expation to thing you want. if you want more races volos if you want more classes xgtet. if you want new items your best bet it adventures.

Eric Diaz
2018-03-22, 10:24 PM
I'd say Xanathars is good, but not really necessary. The PHB already has one too many class IMO.

Also I'll agree the DMG isn't really necessary.

But if you want to buy 3 core + 2, I'd say...

- Xanathars is you want player options.
- Volo's for some extra races and cool monsters, and some nice (plus some very boring) monster lore.
- Strahd or ToA for some nice sandbox adventures.
- Starting set for a very good starting adventure.

Me, personally? I like monsters and sandboxes, so I'm not sure I'd pick Xanathar's... although I'd allow this feat for everybody, human or not:

Prodigy Edit
Prerequisite: Half-elf, half-orc or human

You have a knack for learning new things. You gain the following benefits:

* You gain one skill proficiency of your choice, one tool proficiency of your choice, and fluency in one language of your choice.
* Choose one skill in which you have proficiency. You gain expertise with that skill, which means your proficiency bonus is doubled for any ability check you make with it. The skill you choose must be one that isn't already benefiting from a feature, such as Expertise, that doubles your proficiency bonus.

Nonetheless, a very good book, with a few stupid parts, like long lists of names you could just google (roman names, viking names, etc, or something like that).

EDIT: in fact, I'd advise AGAINST throwing too many options at starting players... IF that is your case. But, of course, you can read as many book s as you want while not necessarily using all.

Vogie
2018-03-23, 11:56 AM
In the US, the PHB & XGtE are both on sale on Amazon at this moment.

Actually, all of the books are. LINK (https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_8?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=players+handbook+5th+edition)