PDA

View Full Version : So... a wolf can climb a rope in d&d?

gogogome
2018-03-19, 10:46 PM
I was having a discussion with a player who wanted to run up into a tree to escape a pack of wolves and shoot them with a crossbow. Then it hit me, what's stopping a wolf from climbing a rope which has a DC of 5?

And I couldn't find anything, so I told the player that the pack of wolves are all going to climb the rope with their paws. The player then said he would sunder the rope below him dropping all the wolves.

I found this scenario hilarious which is why I'm asking for confirmation that wolves in d&d can in fact climb a vertical rope!

Nifft
2018-03-19, 10:57 PM
what's stopping a wolf from climbing a rope which has a DC of 5?

1 - Your good faith as player.

2 - Your DM.

Celestia
2018-03-19, 10:59 PM
The rules only vaguely define what "hands" are and do and only ever in relation to the ability to wield weapons. So, technically, there is nothing stopping wolves from climbing a rope according to RAW. Of course, This is also a common sensevissue at play, so the ultimate arbiter falls upon the DM ruling. Since you seem to be the DM in this case, I see nothing wrong with what you did, provided that your players realize that this isn't a gritty, realistic game. Also, provided that you realize that's gotta swing both ways. If you rule that wolves can climb ropes, prepare for your players to train a pack of wolf ninjas. :smallwink:

Karl Aegis
2018-03-19, 11:06 PM
A wolf can climb a tree with the assistance of a rope. However, it is unusual for animals to use tools to get to prey they have no guarantee of getting nourishment from. Getting down from the tree is another concern, but I guess we have unusual wolves doing unusual things. Nothing really prevents you from having your wolves do this kind of thing, but do try to keep your animals consistent. Other 2 intelligence animals should be found using tools to get their prey.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-19, 11:10 PM
Actually, the rules state that unless there are rules to the contrary, the world largely works like it does IRL.

So no, wolves ordinarily can't climb ropes. However, if your player investigates the rope-climbing wolves, have there be some obvious oddity that allowed these wolves to do so. Just why do the animals around this forest appear to be becoming anthropomorphic, anyway? I hope you have a good answer for that question.

Rijan_Sai
2018-03-19, 11:31 PM
Actually, the rules state that unless there are rules to the contrary, the world largely works like it does IRL.

So no, wolves ordinarily can't climb ropes. However, if your player investigates the rope-climbing wolves, have there be some obvious oddity that allowed these wolves to do so. Just why do the animals around this forest appear to be becoming anthropomorphic, anyway? I hope you have a good answer for that question.

If the answer to this question is not "werewolves," I must assume that you are playing BadWrongFun and must be corrected promptly! :smallbiggrin:

As indicated by the blue text and "smallbiggrin," the previous statement is made in good fun, and should not be taken seriously! But yeah... werewolves! "Werewolves?" "There wolves... there castle."

Troacctid
2018-03-19, 11:37 PM
Here is the relevant rule.

https://i.imgur.com/jQQrAbN.png
So at the DM's discretion, the wolves could be subject to a -8 penalty to climb. (I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the "extreme circumstances" clause would apply, though, given that the example for the -8 penalty is a crocodile.)

Mechalich
2018-03-19, 11:53 PM

So at the DM's discretion, the wolves could be subject to a -8 penalty to climb. (I think you'd have a hard time arguing that the "extreme circumstances" clause would apply, though, given that the example for the -8 penalty is a crocodile.)

One thing of note, is that this rule definitely suggests that Intelligent beings without the correct physical makeup should absolutely be allowed to try this. So while you could fail wolves under the 'extraordinary circumstances' clause, you'd want to allow Worgs (Int 6) and Winter Wolves (Int 9) to make the attempt.

gogogome
2018-03-20, 12:13 AM

Thanks for the quote. I should bring my books around instead of thinking the d20srd is sufficient.

Troacctid
2018-03-20, 02:28 AM
It's in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/intro.htm) too, but as per usual, the examples are stripped out.

hamishspence
2018-03-20, 02:33 AM
Crocodiles might not climb well- but I could easily see one climbing a steep surface, digging in its claws (though not a rope).

Uncle Pine
2018-03-20, 02:44 AM
Wolves might not be able to climb a rope without a penalty to their check, but by RAW there's still nothing about them being unable to take actions while dead.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-20, 02:48 AM
Did the wolves look anything like this?

https://img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/a8py6XZ_700bwp.webp

Because those weren't wolves chasing you. You were high.

Mordaedil
2018-03-20, 02:54 AM
Personally, I would just rule that the wolves climbed the tree itself, because I've seen dogs climb some insane stuff before.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-20, 02:56 AM
Personally, I would just rule that the wolves climbed the tree itself, because I've seen dogs climb some insane stuff before.Such bark
Very tree
Must climb
Wow in teh Bow