PDA

View Full Version : Building First Adventurer League Character, Need Help

RocknRollFTW
2018-03-20, 12:11 AM
So I've been looking for a 5E game to join (IRL, not play-by-post), and since my best bet seems to be Organized play, I've begun making a character. While I think I've got most of the character made, I'm completely new to the Forgotten Realms setting, and to Organized play, so I thought it best that I gt some outside help.

Here's the Character (https://drive.google.com/file/d/1H6-SdpDtMPWprnpSjbFcnKAvEfAdlJJr/view?usp=sharing), and there are two things I immediately want to ask:

1) I don't know what Background best fits the backstory I've made. I'm currently at a toss up between Entertainer (There's a variant called Gladiator), Far Traveler, or Inheritor. The Background choice determines certain mechanics and personality elements for the character, which is why I'm so uncertain.

2) I used a Form-Fillable sheet here, but I know that there are Official Adventurer's League character sheets. I'm pretty certain that I need to use one of those, but I also know that there are several versions of the AL character sheet. Do I need to use the most recent version?

Thanks in advance for any help with these questions, or alerts me to anything else I need to do (I do know about the Logsheets, in broad terms at least).

E’Tallitnics
2018-03-20, 01:20 AM
Use the Custom Background option: PH, “Customizing g a Background,” p.125!

Completely AL Legal too!

RocknRollFTW
2018-03-20, 02:09 AM
Use the Custom Background option: PH, “Customizing g a Background,” p.125!

Completely AL Legal too!Really?!
... Oh wow, I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks for telling me about that!

EDIT: Alright, so I've fused together the Entertainer and Far Traveler backgrounds, and gave my guy a trinket, which is something I forgot to do before. I don't think I've missed anything, so all that's left should be to copy this over to a proper AL sheet.

prototype00
2018-03-20, 02:52 AM
Really?!
... Oh wow, I didn't know this was a thing. Thanks for telling me about that!

EDIT: Alright, so I've fused together the Entertainer and Far Traveler backgrounds, and gave my guy a trinket, which is something I forgot to do before. I don't think I've missed anything, so all that's left should be to copy this over to a proper AL sheet.

In my experience, Character Sheets aren’t that important to keep AL standard. The info is the same.

Make sure your log sheet for AL is up to date though for each session.

Arkhios
2018-03-20, 03:25 AM
Not much I can say about the character itself, but if you're interested in in-character immersion for Forgotten Realms, I suppose I could share some tidbits I know of the setting. I'm pretty sure I don't know everything worth saying, but I know something.

Traditionally, every character (PC or NPC alike) in Forgotten Realms must choose a deity (even if you didn't receive powers from your deity) to worship or their souls will end up in "damnation" upon death.

You can expect to find almost any imaginable religion in Forgotten Realms. For example, the nation called Mulhorand was formed as the ancient Imaskar Empire brought the people of ancient Egypt from Earth to serve as their servants. Eventually though, they rebelled and now they have their own nation.

Many pantheons that are originally from our world's religions can be found and worshipped in Faerun. Egyptian (Mulhorandi) gods is just one pantheon. This isn't limited to only earth's pantheons. It's entirely possible that if you like a greyhawk deity to your liking, your character could follow their teachings.

DnDegenerates
2018-03-20, 09:02 AM
Use whichever AL character sheet you find/prefer. All that differs is a tiny icon in the top left.

Many people use the app even. Although they tend to keep a physical sheet on standby just incase they encounter a picky og GM at an epic or something.