PDA

View Full Version : Fire and forget Druid spells for a Moon Druid Barbarian?

prototype00
2018-03-20, 12:14 AM
So I’m playing a MC Moon Druid Barbarian, and I’m having trouble finding good blast spells that don’t require concentration to cast before I turn into a bear and rage. Any suggestions? (Core would be best as I’m playing a Firbolg in AL).

th3g0dc0mp13x
2018-03-20, 12:36 AM
So I’m playing a MC Moon Druid Barbarian, and I’m having trouble finding good blast spells that don’t require concentration to cast before I turn into a bear and rage. Any suggestions? (Core would be best as I’m playing a Firbolg in AL).

Are you looking for ongoing effects for while in wild shape? Or more just quick damage and then switch to WildShape.

prototype00
2018-03-20, 12:48 AM
Both would be useful, I can see that.

E’Tallitnics
2018-03-20, 01:44 AM
Call Lightning.

prototype00
2018-03-20, 01:46 AM
Call Lightning.

... requires concentration.

E’Tallitnics
2018-03-20, 01:58 AM
... requires concentration.

Dammit! I read that AS requires concentration. So just flip that option on Don Jon to No.

hymer
2018-03-20, 02:03 AM
Ice Knife, Longstrider, Erupting Earth, Plant Growth, Tidal Wave, Blight, Freedom of Movement, Ice Storm, Contagion, Transmute Rock, Bones of the Earth, Firestorm, Regenerate, Feeblemind, Sunburst, Foresight.

Cespenar
2018-03-20, 04:40 AM
Spike Growth, then grapple them in bear form and drag them across the spikes with a double move. I know, Concentration, but still, you have to try this. :smalltongue:

As non-concentration, I found Erupting Earth and Ice Storm to work just fine.

Arkhios
2018-03-20, 04:55 AM
I like Thunderwave. Why don't you like Thunderwave? You should like Thunderwave!

Seriously though. What's wrong with Thunderwave? It's good and raw damage in a reasonably large area (15 ft. cube; note: think 3-dimensionally!) with a rider that pushes the targets back and doesn't require concentration. Granted, it's LOUD (which might be bad ...or not)

hymer
2018-03-20, 05:26 AM
Thunderwave is a cool visual. You tap your staff in the ground, and all the kobolds or goblins around you go flying off, some of them in pieces, with a satisfying boom in addition.
I don't like it, you're right. The sound sucks if your DM cares about that sort of thing, sure. But it really meshes poorly with the way I play. As a druid I do not want to get surrounded by minions. That's what fighters and barbarians are for. Preparing Thunderwave is planning for disaster. It's really rare in the games I play for mooks to cluster sufficiently to make this really worth casting. And when they do, it's usually because they clustered around one of your allies, who is then liable to get caught in the AoE.
If I liked Thunderwave, I'd probably just get Thunderclap and use that instead. At least that's only 100' of sound (btw, you can hear someone speaking from 100' away, and you can hear thunder from miles and miles away - something's really wrong with these distances), and the damage catches up eventually. And it doesn't cost an Absorb, Entangle, or Goodberry slot.

nickl_2000
2018-03-20, 06:35 AM
I like Thunderwave. Why don't you like Thunderwave? You should like Thunderwave!

Seriously though. What's wrong with Thunderwave? It's good and raw damage in a reasonably large area (15 ft. cube; note: think 3-dimensionally!) with a rider that pushes the targets back and doesn't require concentration. Granted, it's LOUD (which might be bad ...or not)

I agree with you about thunderwave, but find it most useful in a situation where my Druid is knocked out of his Wildshape form. You get knocked out of form, likely surrounded since you used to be a giant snake (or something else equally cool), then you drop a thunderwave knocking enemies away from you.

Oh look, no one is next to me now and I can move where ever I like without AoOs

Beelzebubba
2018-03-20, 08:48 AM
So I’m playing a ... Druid ... and I’m having trouble finding ... spells that don’t require concentration

Aren't we all. I feel your pain, brotha.

Contrast
2018-03-20, 10:06 AM
...I do not want to get surrounded by minions.

...likely surrounded...

For reference Thunderwave is a cube spell. It does not intrinsically apply an AoE around you. I've seen people interpret it this way before which I believe is a hang over from previous editions. The way cube spells work is that you choose a point of origin which is situated on one side of the cube. If you wanted to have it do an AoE around you it could do but then you would also be caught in the blast (unless you want to get into arguments with your DM about being short/crouching and holding it above your head so it catches them in the torso, which I would probably be inclined to allow personally).

Edit - On topic, Darkvision is a good spell to have up as neither Firbolgs or bears have it.

Kyrinthic
2018-03-20, 10:14 AM
On top of the many good suggestions above, realize that in many cases, you want to save the spell slots for self heals. At least when you rage.

This multiclass should carry a few concentration spells anyhow. There are some great spells to concentration on in animal form, and you probably need to conserve rages on occasion, since this multiclass tends to work best with more druid and less barbarian. You will have the con save you need to not worry about losing concentration even in the front lines. A pack of conjured wolves alongside you, or a barkskin or the like can really make non-rage fights easier.

Also other heal spells are good for topping off between fights more efficiently than spending slots on heals while in animal form. Goodberries can be cast ahead and eaten in animal form between fights for more efficient healing with low level slots. Healing spirit is too stupidly broken to not have around for out of combat healing if you aren't in animal form.

kardar233
2018-03-20, 11:06 AM
Plant Growth. Plant Growth. Plant Growth. Plant Growth. Plant Growth. Plant Growth.

Did I mention Plant Growth? Plant Growth.

I didn’t realize Plant Growth wasn’t Concentration when I was playing my Moon Druid but I desperately wish I did. That spell allows you to carve off huge swaths of the battlefield, allowing you to cut out groups of melee monsters and shape the fight the way you like it. You can divide up fights into nice chewable chunks, just the way you want them. Even a two-square band of Plant Growth (remember you can shape it however you want) will force most enemies to spend a whole turn Dashing across it, giving you plenty of time to chomp their friends.

hymer
2018-03-20, 12:01 PM
For reference Thunderwave is a cube spell.

Right, good point. I was definitely thinking of it as with Thunderclap. (Fortunately I was doing it right when I was writing up for my guide, it's just been a while.)

I still don't like it. :smallbiggrin:

Arkhios
2018-03-20, 12:15 PM
I still don't like it. :smallbiggrin:

*Shakes fist vigorously* >:C

(jk)

prototype00
2018-03-20, 09:48 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone! With only 1 level of Barbarian for the forseeable future, it does make sense that I’ll have to be judicious on which fights to tank and which fights to maintain concentration.

Flexible as it were.