PDA

View Full Version : Tattooed Monk tiger tattoo clarification

PrediDERP
2018-03-20, 05:42 AM
Hello,

The Tiger tattoo states "Once per day per tattoo he possesses, a character with this tattoo can fight unarmed with a +1 bonus on all attack rolls and deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with a successful attack. This burst of martial arts ferocity lasts for 1 round per class level." Lets say my monk uses flurry of blows, has 3 attacks and hits them all. Does he do 1d6 for every attack (therefore an extra 3d6) or does he only get it for the first successful attack? Doesn't seem very clear and my DM would appreciate some input from the community as well...

Zombimode
2018-03-20, 05:56 AM
What is unclear about it?

Tiger Tatoo provides an ability that can be used #of Tatoos per day. The ability has a Duration of 1 round/Class Level.
The ability provides the following benefit:
- +1 on attack rolls with unarmed attacks
- +1d6 on damage with unarmed attacks

Why would you think that the bonus somehow only effects the first attack?

emeraldstreak
2018-03-20, 06:13 AM
The Tiger tattoo states "Once per day per tattoo he possesses, a character with this tattoo can fight unarmed with a +1 bonus on all attack rolls and deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with a successful attack. This burst of martial arts ferocity lasts for 1 round per class level." Lets say my monk uses flurry of blows, has 3 attacks and hits them all. Does he do 1d6 for every attack (therefore an extra 3d6) or does he only get it for the first successful attack? Doesn't seem very clear and my DM would appreciate some input from the community as well...

All of the attacks in flurry, as well as any Attacks of Opportunity you make in the round.

It's fairly weak gear for a Monk though.

Zombimode
2018-03-20, 06:15 AM
It's fairly weak gear for a Monk though.

Gear? It's a class feature.

emeraldstreak
2018-03-20, 06:19 AM
Gear? It's a class feature.

Still weak.

PrediDERP
2018-03-20, 06:22 AM
Why would you think that the bonus somehow only effects the first attack?

Once per day per tattoo he possesses, a character with this tattoo can fight unarmed with a +1 bonus on all attack rolls and deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with a successful attack. This burst of martial arts ferocity lasts for 1 round per class level. Emphasis mine

The reason why we think it might be 1 attack is because it goes from saying +1 on allattacks to +1d6 on a successful attack. See the confusion?

EDIT: Just to clarify, I am playing a vow of poverty monk.... I know, I know, its not powerful whatsoever, but it's something I've always wanted to try for fun and the chance came up so I'm doing it. I'd appreciate it if we left the optimization of it out, this character is more fluff than a powerhouse.

Zombimode
2018-03-20, 07:04 AM
Still weak.

Compared to what? Slow Fall distance?

How do you call a Rogue 11 +1d6 SA damage? Also "fairly weak"? You kind of have to, since it is worse than Tiger Tatoo.

My Point is: the number by themselves are fine. They are totally in line with what other class features provide. If Tiger Tatoo's ability actually helps your character depends on your build. If you already deal "enough" damage, then more damage is probably not what you want. But if your damage is a bit subpar, then Tiger Tatoo is a good boost.

Also, your personal opinions on this ability are rather immaterial to the OP's question.

Once per day per tattoo he possesses, a character with this tattoo can fight unarmed with a +1 bonus on all attack rolls and deal an extra 1d6 points of damage with a successful attack. This burst of martial arts ferocity lasts for 1 round per class level. Emphasis mine

The reason why we think it might be 1 attack is because it goes from saying +1 on allattacks to +1d6 on a successful attack. See the confusion?

No, I don't see it. It is clear as the sky.

I take that english is not your first language? "A" is not the same as "one".

PrediDERP
2018-03-20, 07:52 AM
Compared to what? Slow Fall distance?

How do you call a Rogue 11 +1d6 SA damage? Also "fairly weak"? You kind of have to, since it is worse than Tiger Tatoo.

My Point is: the number by themselves are fine. They are totally in line with what other class features provide. If Tiger Tatoo's ability actually helps your character depends on your build. If you already deal "enough" damage, then more damage is probably not what you want. But if your damage is a bit subpar, then Tiger Tatoo is a good boost.

Also, your personal opinions on this ability are rather immaterial to the OP's question.

No, I don't see it. It is clear as the sky.

I take that english is not your first language? "A" is not the same as "one".

Lol? What crawled up your ass and died today? You seem pretty hostile for an innocent question and a standard "****s weak bro" giantitp post. For your information, English is my first language and "A" can definitely be considered "one" under many circumstances. But thanks for your help regardless :smallconfused:

KillianHawkeye
2018-03-20, 09:38 AM

Your italicization is misplaced. The ability give a +1 to all your attack rolls, but only +1d6 extra damage to your successful attacks (i.e., the ones that hit). You obviously don't get the bonus damage if you miss.

Zombimode
2018-03-20, 09:48 AM
Lol? What crawled up your ass and died today? You seem pretty hostile for an innocent question and a standard "****s weak bro" giantitp post. For your information, English is my first language and "A" can definitely be considered "one" under many circumstances. But thanks for your help regardless :smallconfused:

Concerning emeraldstreak's comments: my intention was to show the incoherence of this position. I have a very strong distaste for unthoughtful (and unwarranted) negativity. It is unproductive and unhelpful.

Concerning my comment on english being not your frist language: it was not my intention to insult you. If it came across that way (and uppon rereading my posting I can see why) I hope you accept my apology.

Concerning the difference between "a" and "one": "a" is an indefinite article, "one" is a numeral. These are not synomymous (try replacing the "a" and "an" in my sentence with "one" - it wouldn't make sense).

To put it in another way: if limiting the damage bonus to one attack, "one" would be the proper word to use (plus additional information on which one - the absence of this information is a good indicator that the "a" is not a numeral in an indefinite articles guise in this case).

The use of the (singular) indefinite article is correct to specify that all your successful attack get +1d6 damage: you can use the indefinite article to make general statements about a class of things without refering to any one in particular.
Consider "A car has four wheels". This sentence is actually very similar (but not synonymous!) to "All cars have four wheels". Surely you will not mistake it for meaning "There is only one car with four wheels" or "This car has for wheels".

The description for the Tiger Tatoo could have been written differently. For instance by using "with each successful attack dealing +1d6 damage". But the bottom line is that most of our natural languages are not exactly precise. In the end it comes down to the conventions of how a language is used.

emeraldstreak
2018-03-20, 10:32 AM
Concerning emeraldstreak's comments: my intention was to show the incoherence of this position. I have a very strong distaste for unthoughtful (and unwarranted) negativity. It is unproductive and unhelpful.

Incoherent like you comparing an ability with infinite uses (Sneak Attack) to a 1 round/day ability.

Vhaidara
2018-03-20, 11:08 AM
Incoherent like you comparing an ability with infinite uses (Sneak Attack) to a 1 round/day ability.

1/day/tattoo (up to 5) for 1 round/level (up to 10 rounds per use)