PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Rogue/Trickery Cleric

Devar
2018-03-20, 10:34 AM
I've seen a few threads about this build, but it seems people don't agree too much on it.

So I'm starting a level 12 character with a standard spread. He's a Wood Elf and has 3 magical items, two uncommon and one rare. I've chosen to go Cloak Of Displacement, Winged Boots and Staff Of The Python (thematic choice here, would change for something else if you have any suggestions).

The whole idea here is being an assassin that's really hard to pin down and actually hit, uses magic for support and utility, while dealing most of his damage through sneak attacks with a crossbow. A rogue in essence, but with a few magical buffs to keep him stealthy, healthy, away from danger and to manipulate others. I don't mean to be a dedicated caster, as most people seem to prefer on this, and won't be focusing on healing, spiritual weapon and other Clericky spells regarding holy or light themes.

Why not go AT (for me):

1. the spell list for AT feels like it wouldn't have a lot of sinergy with this theme, save for the invisibility spells and the ones already in the Trickery Cleric list. The others feel a bit off and not exactly fitting. Too Wizard and less Rogue.
If I'm missing something here, please let me know.

2. I don't want to divide my Ability Scores between DEX, INT and WIS. I think it would be spreading them too thin. Most people I've seen talking about this recommend AT, but I'm not confident it's the best choice, even with features like Magical Ambush, which seems awesome. My spell DC would still be kinda low for both kinds of casting, and at higher levels it seems pointless.

My main question is about the spread.

How much should i split and why? 14/6? 15/5? Currently, im thinking 13/7. Trading off Blindsense for Dimension Door and Polymorph seems as far as you can go without making the character too weak on both classes. I get most of the trickery spells, some much appreciated higher level spell slots and still do 7d6 on SA. At level 12, I'm doing Rogue 9/Cleric 3. Where should i take it from here?

Feel free to point anything you feel is relevant.

Arkhios
2018-03-20, 12:28 PM
I think you should take cleric at least high enough to get channel divinity twice per rest.

adolann
2018-03-20, 12:41 PM
I think you should take cleric at least high enough to get channel divinity twice per rest.

This. More chances to use Invoke Duplicity is never a bad thing.

You didn't specify your Rogue subclass (although you imply assassin). Unless you are in a campaign where you really need the imposter feature, I think you should go straight through the remaining cleric levels to 7 to get your 13/7 split. You'll get a lot more out of getting access to 3rd and 4th level spells over the next 4 levels than you would spreading them out with your rogue levels. I'd only consider switching over to grabbing 10 rogue maybe after you get to cleric 5.

TL; DR: I think you should go 4 levels cleric, then rogue the rest of the way (unless you need the ASI, then 2 cleric, 1 rogue, 2 cleric, finish rogue).

Devar
2018-03-20, 01:00 PM
This. More chances to use Invoke Duplicity is never a bad thing.

You didn't specify your Rogue subclass (although you imply assassin). Unless you are in a campaign where you really need the imposter feature, I think you should go straight through the remaining cleric levels to 7 to get your 13/7 split. You'll get a lot more out of getting access to 3rd and 4th level spells over the next 4 levels than you would spreading them out with your rogue levels. I'd only consider switching over to grabbing 10 rogue maybe after you get to cleric 5.

TL; DR: I think you should go 4 levels cleric, then rogue the rest of the way (unless you need the ASI, then 2 cleric, 1 rogue, 2 cleric, finish rogue).

I agree. Invoke duplicity is pretty useful. Cloak of Shadows seems cool, but really meant for getting you out of a tough spot. Makes sense to hold off putting levels on rogue for a while, too.

As for the subclass: yes, i am considering assassin. idk though, it's a "kill the tarrasque" campaign. Not a lot of room for the assassin's shennanigans, i imagine (although Impostor sounds really fun). So maybe a thief, for the Use Magic Device feature? It's hard to choose between the rogue subclasses. Depends on the campaign, i guess.

Arkhios
2018-03-20, 01:16 PM
I agree. Invoke duplicity is pretty useful. Cloak of Shadows seems cool, but really meant for getting you out of a tough spot. Makes sense to hold off putting levels on rogue for a while, too.

As for the subclass: yes, i am considering assassin. idk though, it's a "kill the tarrasque" campaign. Not a lot of room for the assassin's shennanigans, i imagine (although Impostor sounds really fun). So maybe a thief, for the Use Magic Device feature? It's hard to choose between the rogue subclasses. Depends on the campaign, i guess.

Is homebrew allowed? Just wondering, because I might have 'brewed something you'd like: Inquisitor, link in my signature. Basically a spellcasting rogue with a divine agenda (spells chosen from cleric spell list). The other 3rd level feature is intentionally built to work with other Channel Divinities and thus it would definitely benefit from a cleric multiclass.

Devar
2018-03-20, 01:25 PM
Is homebrew allowed? Just wondering, because I might have 'brewed something you'd like: Inquisitor, link in my signature. Basically a spellcasting rogue with a divine agenda (spells chosen from cleric spell list). The other 3rd level feature is intentionally built to work with other Channel Divinities and thus it would definitely benefit from a cleric multiclass.

Ohh, that's nice. I'm gonna check it out, but as far as i know, the DM didn't allow for homebrew on this. It won't hurt to ask, though. Thanks!

Arkhios
2018-03-20, 01:43 PM
Ohh, that's nice. I'm gonna check it out, but as far as i know, the DM didn't allow for homebrew on this. It won't hurt to ask, though. Thanks!

Great! If it gets a pass, let me know how it works. I had one player in my game use Inquisitor for one session, but unfortunately his character got squished by an earth elemental, so I couldn't get better picture of its balance, first hand. However, I have heard encouraging feedback from others who have read through or used this particular homebrew, and it seems to be fairly balanced. Which is what I generally aim to accomplish with my homebrews.

Crgaston
2018-03-20, 11:13 PM
The whole idea here is being an assassin that's really hard to pin down and actually hit....

If you're not committed to the Assassin subclass, have a hard look at Scout. You're a Wood Elf, so that fits, and the 3rd level feature makes you really hard to pin down... basically a free disengage. The 9th level feature gives you always on 45" move speed, and at 13 you get Advantage on initiative, and the rest of your party gets Advantage on whoever you hit. Not to mention you get 2 free Expertise skills, including Survival. You're going to have a good Wis so your tracking skills will be phenomenal, perfect for the assassin who always gets his mark.