PDA

View Full Version : Pros and Cons of every D&D edition?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Rhedyn
2018-04-17, 06:48 PM
Weird, since followers explicitly don't get it, even though they're non player characters.

I honestly think you're just trolling at this point.

Retainers do get a share (share determined by number of PCs so as not to discourage retainers) in RC D&D and the number of Retainers you could have was determined by Charisma.

Mendicant
2018-04-17, 07:40 PM
Retainers do get a share (share determined by number of PCs so as not to discourage retainers) in RC D&D and the number of Retainers you could have was determined by Charisma.

Yeah but Selene is specifically talking about 3e here.

Selene Sparks
2018-04-18, 11:21 AM
*grin* You're adorable. :smallsmile:How wonderfully dismissive. Why not add in shrill while you're at it?

Weird, since followers explicitly don't get it, even though they're non player characters.Yes, followers are explicitly called out as getting no XP, and cohorts gain XP in a non-standard way. These are both specific rules, which trump general rules when they apply, but that doesn't change the general rules.

I honestly think you're just trolling at this point.Funny, from where I'm sitting the opposite looks more true, and yet I have the sense to assume that there's a lack of malice, despite the nonsense like being asked to prove a negative.

JoeJ
2018-04-18, 12:40 PM
I'm a little surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but one of the pros of 2e for me is priestly spheres that give clerics of different deities different spell lists.

The very large number of campaign settings is also a pro, especially the historical supplements. Even if you don't want to run any of them they serve as worked examples of how to adapt the rules to do something different. I did that to run a game, inspired by the legends of King Arthur and Charlemagne, where knights and warriors dominated. Spells, while powerful in there own way, were too slow to be practical in combat, and even the most powerful characters would count themselves lucky to have a single magic item. I would not try that in 3.x. However, as an experiment I tried doing the same thing using 5e rules and found it was even easier than it had been with 2e (although I haven't tested the result in play yet), so there's that.