PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Any way to make a (Sp) take longer to use?

Snowbluff
2018-03-20, 05:51 PM
Is there any way to increase the action cost of a spell-like ability to a full round action?

Thurbane
2018-03-20, 05:54 PM
Elder Giant Magic (SoX) feat allows you to increase the activation time of an SLA up to 3 rounds.

Multivoice allows you to activate an additional SLA as part of a full round action.

Venger
2018-03-20, 06:14 PM
you do need to be a giant, though.

why do you want to do this?

Celestia
2018-03-20, 06:28 PM
Um, you could just delay your action? Use it as a standard and then skip your move?

Snowbluff
2018-03-20, 07:20 PM
Nope, wanting to avoid volley rules. Full round exactly.

Nebuul
2018-03-21, 11:26 AM
Can you give more context? Do you mean generically all SLAs or are you just looking for a specific example?

Snowbluff
2018-03-21, 02:31 PM
Imbue Arrow (Sp). I want to sneak attack wit ha splitting bow.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-21, 02:40 PM
Imbue Arrow (Sp). I want to sneak attack wit ha with a splitting bow.How about using Quicken Spell-Like Ability, instead? Does making an attack as a free action count as a volley?

[edit] Found the dumb ruling in the Rules Compendium. That would be a no. The RC is pretty stupid. This is why I make sure the games I'm in don't use it. Because it's stupid.

[edit 2] Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403739-Alternate-Uses-of-Move-Actions) is a list of uses for move actions. If your DM considers drawing a weapon to be part of making an attack with it (such as with an iaijutsu attack, maybe?) then that turns a standard action attack into a full-round action one, even with imbue spell (maybe). Is there some way to make a ranged charge attack as a full-round action using imbue arrow?

Snowbluff
2018-03-21, 05:22 PM
How about using Quicken Spell-Like Ability, instead? Does making an attack as a free action count as a volley?

[edit] Found the dumb ruling in the Rules Compendium. That would be a no. The RC is pretty stupid. This is why I make sure the games I'm in don't use it. Because it's stupid.

[edit 2] Here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?403739-Alternate-Uses-of-Move-Actions) is a list of uses for move actions. If your DM considers drawing a weapon to be part of making an attack with it (such as with an iaijutsu attack, maybe?) then that turns a standard action attack into a full-round action one, even with imbue spell (maybe). Is there some way to make a ranged charge attack as a full-round action using imbue arrow?
Drawing an arrow, an improvised melee weapon, is already a free action to trigger Iai. :smalltongue:

Though I could just... take Iaijutsu master over rogue. IDR if it's affected by the volley rule, though.

MaxiDuRaritry
2018-03-21, 05:57 PM
If you're using splitting, how about investing in a heavily enhanced raptor arrow and a tooth of Leraje?

Snowbluff
2018-03-21, 08:47 PM
If you're using splitting, how about investing in a heavily enhanced raptor arrow and a tooth of Leraje?

I am buying a raptor arrow and getting Dvati Fiends of Possession cohort.