PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Are These Races Balanced with Each Other?

Xenre
2018-03-20, 06:15 PM
So, like the title says: Are these races balanced with each other? If not what would you change? I'd prefer to beef up weaker races rather than weakening stronger ones, but I'm willing to listen to suggestions either way. Humans will likely need improvement, as they are standard and not homebrew. The dwarves are homebrew, however.

Amazons

Stats: +2 Strength, +2 Intelligence, –2 Charisma
Medium: Amazons are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Amazons have a base speed of 30 feet.
Fearless: Amazons gain a +2 racial bonus on all saving throws against fear effects.
Resistant: Amazons gain a +2 racial bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects and poison.
Phalanx: Amazons are used to living and fighting communally with other Amazons. Up to two Amazons can share the same square at the same time. If two Amazons that are occupying the same square attack the same foe, they are considered to be flanking that foe as if they were in two opposite squares.
Weapon Familiarity: Amazons are proficient with short swords, shortbows, longbows, and shields.
Combat Ready: When Amazons wear armor of any sort, reduce that suit’s armor check penalty by 1, to a minimum check penalty of 0; and when Amazons use a tool of their trade (requiring at least 1 rank in the appropriate Craft or Profession skill) as a weapon, they do not take the improvised weapon penalty.
Languages: Amazons begin play speaking Omilía and those with with high Intelligence scores can choose from Aylic, Kor, Şıge, and Taghrid.

Dwarves

Stats: +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom
Medium: Dwarves are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Slow and Steady: Dwarves have a base speed of 20 feet, but their speed is never modified by armor or encumbrance.
Low-Light Vision: Members of this race can see twice as far as a race with normal vision in conditions of dim light.
Born From the Mountain: Whether in the deepest mines or on the heist peaks, Dwarves call the mountains home, moreover they call it mother, as they are descended from Earth Elementals. They are immune to altitude sickness and do not lose their Dexterity bonus to AC when making Climb or Acrobatics checks to cross narrow or slippery surfaces and can ignore difficult terrain created by rubble, broken ground, or steep stairs when they take a 5-foot step. Dwarven sorcerers with the elemental (earth) bloodline treat their Charisma score as 2 points higher for all sorcerer spells and class abilities. Dwarven clerics with the Earth domain use their domain powers and spells at +1 caster level.
Craftsman: Dwarves gain a +2 racial bonus on all Craft or Profession checks to create objects from metal or stone. Further, They are treated as proficient with any weapon they have personally crafted.
Healthy: Dwarves gain a +4 bonus on Fortitude saves against disease and poison, including magical diseases.
Long Memory:/[b] Dwarves keep extensive records of their history and the world around them. Dwarves receive a +2 racial bonus on Knowledge (history) checks that pertain to dwarves or their enemies. They can make such skill checks untrained.
[b]Stability: Members of this race receive a +4 racial bonus to their CMD when resisting bull rush or trip attempts while standing on the ground.
Weapon Familiarity: Dwarves are proficient with battleaxes, heavy picks, and warhammers, and treat any weapon with the word "dwarven" in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Dwarves begin play speaking Kor. Dwarves with high Intelligence scores can choose from the following: Aylic, Omilía, Ötmek, Şıge, Söylemek, Taghrid, and Tale.

Kumo (spiders)

Stats: +2 Dexterity, +2 Charisma, –2 Strength
Medium: Kumo are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Aberration: Kumo are aberrations.
Normal Speed: Kumo have a base speed of 30 feet.
Climb Speed: Kumo have a climb speed of 20 feet.
Darkvision: Kumo can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
All-Around Vision (Ex): Kumo see in all directions at once and cannot be flanked.
Change Shape (Su): A Kumo can assume the appearance of a specific single human form of the same sex. The Kumo always takes this specific form when she uses this ability. A Kumo in human form cannot use her web ability but gains a +10 racial bonus on Disguise checks made to appear human. Changing shape is a standard action. This ability otherwise functions as alter self, except that the Kumo does not adjust her ability scores.
Web (Ex): Kumo can use webs to support themselves and up to one additional medium creature. In addition, they can throw a web up to eight times per day. This is similar to an attack with a net but has a maximum range of 50 feet, with a range increment of 10 feet, and is effective against targets up to large size. Kumo can create sheets of sticky webbing up to three times their size. To notice a web is a DC 20 Perception check. The DC to burst or escape the web is equal to 10 + 1/2 character level + Con modifier. Attempts to burst a web by those caught in it suffer a –4 penalty. Each 5-foot-square section of web has a number of hit points equal to the level of the Kumo that created it and DR 5/—. A Kumo can move across its own web at its climb speed and can pinpoint the location of any creature touching its web.
Languages: Kumo begin play speaking the language of the dominant culture in the area. Kumo with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

Minotaurs

Stats: +2 Strength: Minotaurs are incredibly strong.
Large: Minotaurs are large creatures and gain a +2 size bonus to Strength and a –2 size penalty to Dexterity. Large races take a –1 size penalty to their AC, a –1 size penalty on attack rolls, a +1 bonus on combat maneuver checks and to their CMD, and a –4 size penalty on Stealth checks. They take up a space that is 10 feet by 10 feet and have a reach of 5 feet.
Monstrous Humanoid: Minotaurs are Monstrous Humanoids.
Fast Speed: Minotaurs have a base speed of 40 feet.
Darkvision: Minotaurs can see up to 60 ft. with no light source.
Natural Cunning: Minotaurs possess immunity to maze spells and can never become lost. They are never caught flat-footed.
Natural Weapons: Minotaurs possess a gore that deals 1d8 damage; when using it they are not considered unarmed.
Languages: Minotaurs begin play speaking Kor. Minotaurs with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

Orcs

Stats: +2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, –2 Intelligence
Medium: Orcs are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Darkvision: Orcs can see in the dark up to 60 feet.
Damage Reduction: Orcs get damage reduction of 2 against bludgeoning and piercing weapons due to their tough, thick skin (DR 2/slashing).
Ferocity: An orc remains conscious and can continue fighting even if its hit point total is below 0. It is still staggered and loses 1 hit point each round. A creature with ferocity still dies when its hit point total reaches a negative amount equal to its Constitution score.
Weapon Familiarity: Orcs are proficient with bows, daggers, and hand axes; and treat any weapon with the word “Orc” in its name as a martial weapon.
Languages: Orcs begin play speaking Hau, Ua, or Waiata depending on what region they are from.

Xuilan

Stats: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Medium: Xiulan are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Plant: Xiulan are plants. They have the low-light vision. They are immune to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, morale effects, patterns, and phantasms), paralysis, poison, polymorph, sleep effects, and stunning. Xiulan breathe and eat, but do not sleep, unless they want to gain some beneficial effect from this activity. This means that they can sleep in order to regain spells, but sleep is not required to survive or stay in good health.
Normal Speed: Xiulan have a base speed of 30 feet.
Languages: Xiulan begin play speaking Yun Shen. Xiulan with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

Humans

Stats: +2 to One Ability Score
Medium: Humans are Medium creatures and have no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Normal Speed: Humans have a base speed of 30 feet.
Bonus Feat: Humans select one extra feat at 1st level.
Skilled: Humans gain an additional skill rank at first level and one additional rank whenever they gain a level.
Languages: Humans begin play speaking the primary language of their kingdom of origin. Humans with high Intelligence scores can choose any languages they want (except secret languages, such as Druidic).

aimlessPolymath
2018-03-20, 10:56 PM
Hm.

My first glance ratings are that Dwarves are a bit too loaded with skills, Minotaurs are a bit too combat-heavy with poor skills, Orcs are good at low levels but don't scale well, and that Xiulan start out weak but become very good.

My main targets for immediate changes would be Xiulan and Orcs.
-Xiulan have a wide variety of immunities which are very useful later on to protect against esoteric effects, but have essentially nothing to their race at low levels. I would explicitly remove immunity to mind-affecting and polymorph effects, and add some more interesting features. Just... anything. Photosynthesis?
-Orc ferocity gives them a massive hit point advantage over others at low levels. DR on top of that is a gigantic benefit. I would cut DR or ferocity, and add some noncombat bonuses, which tend to scale better. How about scent and a Survival bonus? A cultural bonus to Handle Animal with a specific kind of animal?

More generally, favored classes are missing.

In addition, one of my pet peeves is that some of these races (amazons, dwarves) have most of their racial benefits be cultural in origin, while others (most of the monstrous ones) have most of their benefits be biological in origin, as though they don't have any kind of society.

nonsi
2018-03-21, 02:35 AM
Balance assesment aside for a moment (I'm on my mobile), I really like Kumo :smallcool:

[EDIT]: I noticed that Kumo are missing bite attack. Spiders should have a natural weapon for hunting prey.

nikkoli
2018-03-21, 02:01 PM
What is the body shape of the kumo? Are they humanoid shaped or are they spider shaped or more drider like? Lots of legs gives bonuses to resist bullish and stuff and having body shapes that aren't humanoid change the magic item slots things have. The shape change thing makes it seem like they are to spiders the way kitsune are to fox.

Xenre
2018-03-21, 03:40 PM
Hm.

My first glance ratings are that Dwarves are a bit too loaded with skills, Minotaurs are a bit too combat-heavy with poor skills, Orcs are good at low levels but don't scale well, and that Xiulan start out weak but become very good.

My main targets for immediate changes would be Xiulan and Orcs.
-Xiulan have a wide variety of immunities which are very useful later on to protect against esoteric effects, but have essentially nothing to their race at low levels. I would explicitly remove immunity to mind-affecting and polymorph effects, and add some more interesting features. Just... anything. Photosynthesis?
-Orc ferocity gives them a massive hit point advantage over others at low levels. DR on top of that is a gigantic benefit. I would cut DR or ferocity, and add some noncombat bonuses, which tend to scale better. How about scent and a Survival bonus? A cultural bonus to Handle Animal with a specific kind of animal?

More generally, favored classes are missing.

In addition, one of my pet peeves is that some of these races (amazons, dwarves) have most of their racial benefits be cultural in origin, while others (most of the monstrous ones) have most of their benefits be biological in origin, as though they don't have any kind of society.

I hesitate to remove the imunities from the Xiulan as they come packaged as a part of the Plant subtype, but I do agree that they are lacking.

I've been toying with the idea of remaking these races with the suggestions from this artical, (http://theangrygm.com/why-race-isnt-broken/) but the non humanoid (plant, monstrous humanoid, and aberation) races do have mostly racial feature while the others have almost all cultural features and I don't know how to get around that.

Balance assesment aside for a moment (I'm on my mobile), I really like Kumo :smallcool:

[EDIT]: I noticed that Kumo are missing bite attack. Spiders should have a natural weapon for hunting prey.

Like a 1d3 bite with poison? I was thinking about it as an alternate race trait.

What is the body shape of the kumo? Are they humanoid shaped or are they spider shaped or more drider like? Lots of legs gives bonuses to resist bullish and stuff and having body shapes that aren't humanoid change the magic item slots things have. The shape change thing makes it seem like they are to spiders the way kitsune are to fox.

They are spider-shaped. Resist bullrush and trip, but different magic item slots. That'll be a bit of work.

nonsi
2018-03-21, 05:58 PM
Like a 1d3 bite with poison? I was thinking about it as an alternate race trait.

If you make it a single daily use poison that does 1d4 strength damade (primary and secondary), you wouldn't have to make it an alternate ranial trait.

Xzoltar
2018-03-21, 08:59 PM
I think Kumo are already on the strong side. The bite attack should be a racial feat and another feat to add Poison to the bite attack.

Xuilan is weak, ok or strong depending a lot on the campaign

The rest seem Balanced

nonsi
2018-03-22, 01:37 AM
I think Kumo are already on the strong side. The bite attack should be a racial feat and another feat to add Poison to the bite attack.

Xuilan is weak, ok or strong depending a lot on the campaign

The rest seem Balanced

I can see why poison would require a feat, but it doesn't make any sense for a hunting creature not to have some kind of innate form of an attack in one of its natural forms.

nikkoli
2018-03-22, 09:06 AM
I can see why poison would require a feat, but it doesn't make any sense for a hunting creature not to have some kind of innate form of an attack in one of its natural forms.

Especially since it doesn't have thumbs.

aimlessPolymath
2018-03-22, 11:09 AM
As a compromise, perhaps (like some spiders) they rely on catching their targets with their webs, then biting the captured prey, rather than being able to just bite whoever- perhaps it's awkward to use as a weapon.

Bite: A Kome's bite attack deals 1d4 damage, plus poison. However, they take a -10 penalty to attack rolls with it outside of coup de grace attempts.

nikkoli
2018-03-22, 05:33 PM
Having dispellable thumbs is still pretty annoying, but I don't think giving them a bite at 1d3 or 1d4 will boost them to a crazy level. Also what kind of spider do you envision them being based off of?

Xuilan is defensively strong because it's a plant, but outside of that it's really just a potato with legs...? You could give them something like woodland stride from druid so natural plants dont hinder their movement. Also what do they look like, are they humanoid or are they a pile of vines or a shrub? That might help figure out what they could have to be more than just a plant.