PDA

View Full Version : Paladin for Asmodeus, need some help for my background

lxion
2018-03-21, 06:22 AM
I'm working on a new character for my upcoming campaign. I chose a tiefling Paladin. I'm working on the backstory, but I could use some more info. Here's the background so far:

Ages ago, the ancestors of my character took part in the Reckoning of Hell. They betrayed Asmodeus by fighting for Mammon. When the Reckoning was over, they were given a chance to restore their name. They were sent to the Primal Plane with three tasks: collecting souls of sinners, destroying everything that has to do with Mammon and sending runaways back to Baator. Once this is done, they will regain their name in Baator and become strong devils.

Some questions:
Who ends up in Baator? What are some of the main sins or do they differ between gods?
Is it possible to escape from Baator?
Any ideas for a deal twist by Asmodeus?
Also, any interesting devil lore will be appreciated.

nickl_2000
2018-03-21, 06:32 AM
I'm working on a new character for my upcoming campaign. I chose a tiefling Paladin. I'm working on the backstory, but I could use some more info. Here's the background so far:

Ages ago, the ancestors of my character took part in the Reckoning of Hell. They betrayed Asmodeus by fighting for Mammon. When the Reckoning was over, they were given a chance to restore their name. They were sent to the Primal Plane with three tasks: collecting souls of sinners, destroying everything that has to do with Mammon and sending runaways back to Baator. Once this is done, they will regain their name in Baator and become strong devils.

Some questions:
Who ends up in Baator? What are some of the main sins or do they differ between gods?
Also, any interesting devil lore will be appreciated.

Does D&D have true names to bind devils? Because they will regain their name, but Asmodeus gives that to many people thus binding their power.

They become powerful devils, but they are created as thus in a magic circle and bound to an archlich for all eternity.

Also "strong" has many meanings. Many commoners would consider a strength 14 person strong which could be a CR 1 Maw Demon.

Umbranar
2018-03-21, 06:34 AM
I have ran the Way of the Wicked campaign lately and I have to say that twisting a deal and outsmarting the players is hard.

For information I have read the Fiendish Codex of d&d 3.5 thoroughly and it gave me some good pointers:

- Devils will try to get as much as of a deal as possible with the goal to get a mortal to agree, instantly turning it to LE and condemning it to hell.
- Some more powerful Devils, if there is room in the contract, will attempt to kill the subject as soon as possible. You wanted power for the rest of your live? Deal! No mention was made about how long that live will last.
- To the letter. Devils follow the terms of a contract to the letter as per the example above. Any wiggle room will be exploited.

An example: the PC's were promised to be turned to mighty devils! Living forever and serving Asmodeus as high ranked devils, skipping the climb from lowly Lemure to Pit Fiend status. At the end they indeed became Pit Fiends but under the rule of another more powerful Devil...as slaves. Wiggle room,
how nice.

I think the codex mentions some examples of souls being freed from the clutches of hell but those are very dangerous expeditions. other than that, no clue how one would break free of the clutches of hell unless a contract was forced upon a mortal.

Hope the Fiendish Codex can help you :)

Unoriginal
2018-03-21, 07:06 AM
When the Reckoning was over, they were given a chance to restore their name. They were sent to the Primal Plane with three tasks: collecting souls of sinners, destroying everything that has to do with Mammon and sending runaways back to Baator. Once this is done, they will regain their name in Baator and become strong devils.

Errr, if the deal was ages ago, it needs to be re-made with each new individuals.

Define "ends up in Baator". The souls are just processed to the various layers to be used as money, fuel, etc. Of course those who are responsible for the evil of the person have a claim on the soul, but still. Those who make deals directly with Asdmodeus or his underlings who live in Baator would end up in their pocket.

Devils don't have to actively collect the souls of sinners, they end up where they belong on their own.

As for sins, there's nothing tangible about them per se in 5e. Some cults consider X a sin, others won't, but the universe doesn't really care. You can be as greedy as Scrooge McDuck, as long as you are otherwise a good person you'll still

As the soul from a dead person? Not from your own power.

"You haven't destroyed everything about Mammon. I should know, I've just had him over for tea."

"The deal was with the ones who betrayed me, and they've been dead for a while."

lxion
2018-03-22, 02:14 AM
Ok, thanks guys!