PDA

View Full Version : Item creation question.

Coec
2018-03-21, 10:41 AM
This will probably be very DM dependant, but I would like to know if it's possible to combine a regular cloak with a magical cloak like a cloak of protection?

The situation here is that in the campaign I'm in, I recently came into a small fortune all to myself. Enough to buy a cloak of protection for my squishy self. Later on we had a random encounter with some winter wolves. Needless to say the group killed the wolves and we successfully skinned them.

I would love to have a wolf headed cloak but don't want to get rid of my cloak of protection so I wanted to know if there are rules for this? Could I line the inside of the wolf cloak with the cloak of protection and still receive the +1 a.c.?

Willie the Duck
2018-03-21, 10:46 AM
No, there are no rules for this. That seems like way too specific a scenario for the rules to cover (although now that I think about it, I think 4e had some rules for transferring enchantments from one weapon to another, so the same principle at least has been addressed at least once).

If I were the DM, I would suggest that a competent tailor/seamstress could readily sew the magic cloak into the wolf skin as a liner. It would be a heavy cloak, so not comfortable in a trek across a desert (although anyone wanting to wear a wolf-fur cloak is probably not a desert dweller.

Unoriginal
2018-03-21, 10:51 AM
This will probably be very DM dependant, but I would like to know if it's possible to combine a regular cloak with a magical cloak like a cloak of protection?

The situation here is that in the campaign I'm in, I recently came into a small fortune all to myself. Enough to buy a cloak of protection for my squishy self. Later on we had a random encounter with some winter wolves. Needless to say the group killed the wolves and we successfully skinned them.

I would love to have a wolf headed cloak but don't want to get rid of my cloak of protection so I wanted to know if there are rules for this? Could I line the inside of the wolf cloak with the cloak of protection and still receive the +1 a.c.?

Adding some wolf skin to a cape of protection isn't going to be hard.

You could do it yourself with some string and a sewing needle. Though a competant clothes-maker is more likely to get an aestheticaly pleasant/comfortable result.

Coec
2018-03-21, 11:00 AM
I want looking to transfer enchantment but rather use the magical cloak as a liner. We're running through SKT. From what it looks like we could be hitting winter soon. I didn't think about the actual weight. I'm a lightfoot halfling rogue with a strength score of 13.

Unoriginal
2018-03-21, 11:28 AM
I want looking to transfer enchantment but rather use the magical cloak as a liner. We're running through SKT. From what it looks like we could be hitting winter soon. I didn't think about the actual weight. I'm a lightfoot halfling rogue with a strength score of 13.

A STR 13 halfling is stronger than your average human who works all day at the docks, you'll be fine. Though, you won't use much of the wolf's skin, given your size.

That being said, you should be able to find someone who can make your cloak furry in any decent-sized settlement.

Coec
2018-03-21, 12:34 PM
We determined we could get 2 small cloaks and 1 medium cloak out of one skin or two medium cloaks.

Sigreid
2018-03-21, 01:06 PM
This is always the answer, but only your DM can say.

If it was me, I'd allow it. It is not like you're getting some new advantage, just a sense of personal style.

hymer
2018-03-21, 01:24 PM
Smart stuff has been said. I'll add another thought: If all you're really focused on is the wolf head hood, there's no reason you can't have one made to fit you, which does not have the whole cloak thing going on. It should go well with a cloak, not interfere with it, and run no risk of ruining it.

Willie the Duck
2018-03-21, 01:56 PM
Smart stuff has been said. I'll add another thought: If all you're really focused on is the wolf head hood, there's no reason you can't have one made to fit you, which does not have the whole cloak thing going on. It should go well with a cloak, not interfere with it, and run no risk of ruining it.

So a cloakless hood? Aren't those usually red, and one has one before meeting wolves? :smallbiggrin:

hymer
2018-03-21, 02:07 PM
So a cloakless hood? Aren't those usually red, and one has one before meeting wolves? :smallbiggrin:

Just don't ask a series of silly questions, you'll be fine. Or have a ranger in the party at a pinch.

Sigreid
2018-03-21, 02:29 PM
Just don't ask a series of silly questions, you'll be fine. Or have a ranger in the party at a pinch.

I've watched Revolting Fairytales, the real trick is to carry a gun to grandma's house.

Coec
2018-03-21, 02:59 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions/thoughts. I have more ammo now when talking to my DM about this.

One last question though. Would other magic cloaks work as well? I get the argument for the protection cloak but whay about a displacer cloak or a cloak of the manta ray?

furby076
2018-03-22, 10:16 PM
there is no rules saying you can't overlap clothing, so knock yourself out. It would be a nice and warm cloak, and probably weather proof too :) As others have said, if you are inclined, go to a seastress in gme to sew them together...the DM should be more than happy to take some silver for in-game asthetics. Honestly, if your DM says no, then he/she is bent or has a stick up their butt

Now if both cloaks are magical, you just have to decide which to use. For example, you can wear all the magical rings that you can fit on your fingers. But, only 2 can be on at any given time.

Kane0
2018-03-22, 10:18 PM
Well one is magical and the other isn't so it sounds like just a cosmetic change. A tailor's kit tool check should do it. Or paying a tailor.