PDA

View Full Version : Prestidigitation In Combat

RaiKirah
2018-03-21, 10:53 AM
Prestidigitation allows you to do Stufftm at will for an hour. It does not, however, specify the default action that this doing of things takes. Some of the examples have times associated (for example cleaning a 1 foot cube takes a round), but the explication of actions is not exhaustive. This is mostly applicable to using Prestidigitation in combat, where it actually matters how long a thing takes. Say for example I wanted to draw a mustache on my opponent, would that be a free action? A swift? Move? Standard even? Or would it default to a full round action? I can't seem to find an answer anywhere, and thought I might ask directly. Thanks!

Karl Aegis
2018-03-21, 11:19 AM
That's a Veil spell. Prestidigitation cannot mimic spell effects. Especially sixth level spells.

Segev
2018-03-21, 11:25 AM
As a general rule, invoking a class-granted ability with no other decisive specification as to its action type should probably be considered a standard action. The standard action is meant to represent taking one meaningful action during a combat round.

Crichton
2018-03-21, 12:03 PM
That's a Veil spell. Prestidigitation cannot mimic spell effects. Especially sixth level spells.

I don't know that I'd go so far as to say it's "changing the appearance" as per the Veil spell description. Since the OP said 'drawing a mustache" instead of making the opponent actually look like he has a mustache, I'd think it's more like "soiling"(as per the Prestidigitation description) the opponent's face with dirt or charcoal in the shape of a mustache. Since it has no mechanical effect in-game, it's a bit harsh to say it's the equivalent of Veil.

Zaq
2018-03-21, 12:12 PM
I’ve never actually been in a position to do it, but I’ve always wanted to use the “flavor” function of Prestidigitation to make something/someone taste like an elf so that a bulette won’t eat it.

Starbuck_II
2018-03-21, 12:23 PM
I’ve never actually been in a position to do it, but I’ve always wanted to use the “flavor” function of Prestidigitation to make something/someone taste like an elf so that a bulette won’t eat it.

I'd say move action.
But no way to know.

Kelb_Panthera
2018-03-21, 12:42 PM
Directing an active spell defaults to a move action. Prestidigitation has a few explicit exceptions but if it doesn't specify you go back to the default.

Here's a link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets) Last paragraph of the "targets" section.

RaiKirah
2018-03-21, 02:36 PM
Directing an active spell defaults to a move action. Prestidigitation has a few explicit exceptions but if it doesn't specify you go back to the default.

Here's a link. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/spellDescriptions.htm#targetorTargets) Last paragraph of the "targets" section.

Thank you! That's precisely what I was looking for!

Crake
2018-03-22, 04:51 AM

One would presumably have to know what elves taste like to be able to do this.... :smalleek:

Jormengand
2018-03-22, 05:34 AM
One would presumably have to know what elves taste like to be able to do this.... :smalleek:

Hey, maybe it's just that you're dating an elf and you affectionately lick them sometimes! :smalltongue:

Mordaedil
2018-03-22, 06:23 AM
You haven't played D&D until you've been to an elven brothel.

You can check in, but you can never check out.

Starbuck_II
2018-03-22, 11:30 PM

Just ask your fellow dwarf. :smallbiggrin: